[Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
twanno

Post by twanno »

As far as I know, pressing enter on a link is handled in the core of firefox, so I don't think it can be configured with keyconfig.
But as in the end ctrl+enter is handled as if the link was ctrl+clicked, I can add an option, or adjust the middle click option, so ctrl+clicking (which means also pressing ctrl+enter) will open the link in a duplicate tab.

Twanno
el_leumas

Post by el_leumas »

Hi, I recently found out that my Duplicate Tab is not working like it used to. Now, when I right-click on a tab to duplicate it or even use Ctrl-Shift-T, I will get a blank tab with the heading (Untitled). Any idea how to fix this?

Btw, what shortcut is Ctrl-Enter?
twanno

Post by twanno »

el_leumas wrote:Hi, I recently found out that my Duplicate Tab is not working like it used to. Now, when I right-click on a tab to duplicate it or even use Ctrl-Shift-T, I will get a blank tab with the heading (Untitled). Any idea how to fix this?

Do you know if you changed anything recently? E.g. installing another extension, updating firefox.
Are there any errors concerning Duplicate Tab in the JavaScript Console (Tools -> JavaScript Console)?

el_leumas wrote:Btw, what shortcut is Ctrl-Enter?

When a link is focussed (by for instance pressing tab in a page, until the link is focussed), you can open it in a new tab by pressing Ctrl+Enter
el_leumas

Post by el_leumas »

Other than the FF update a few weeks back, and maybe updates Tab-Browser Preference, Scrapbook and Adblock Plus and FlashGot, I don't really know ....in any case, duplicate to new window works, but not duplicate to new tab. Any idea why? I have tab-browser preference, IE tab as well... Also, right-clicking on a link and selecting Open Link in Duplicated Tab works, but not right-clicking on the tab itself and selecting Duplicate Tab. Shortcut key does not work as well. All I get is a new blank tab

EDIT: OK, I found out what went wrong. I fixed the problem when I un-checked the option to "Give Focus to new tabs" under the Duplicate Tab Option Menu in Extensions. After I uncheck the box, its back to normal and its working! Any idea why?
twanno

Post by twanno »

el_leumas wrote:EDIT: OK, I found out what went wrong. I fixed the problem when I un-checked the option to "Give Focus to new tabs" under the Duplicate Tab Option Menu in Extensions. After I uncheck the box, its back to normal and its working! Any idea why?

I currently have no idea.. I'll look into it when I have time.

thanks,
Twanno
Agent*Orange

Post by Agent*Orange »

I have been using duplicate tab for at least 6 months and it has worked until now. I tracked down the problem to another extension, IE Tab 1.1.0.2. Duplicate tab worked when I first installed IE Tab, but apparently the latest update to IE tab caused duplicate tab to quit working. I uninstalled IE tab and now duplicate tab works again!!

Just wanted to let anyone know of this incompability in case they are having problems.
DarrellWPenner

Post by DarrellWPenner »

Agent*Orange wrote:I have been using duplicate tab for at least 6 months and it has worked until now. I tracked down the problem to another extension, IE Tab 1.1.0.2. Duplicate tab worked when I first installed IE Tab, but apparently the latest update to IE tab caused duplicate tab to quit working. I uninstalled IE tab and now duplicate tab works again!!

Just wanted to let anyone know of this incompability in case they are having problems.

Thanks Agent*Orange, I was wondering what happened. I found that duplicate tab worked if I had Open Tab SideBar working and open tab in new page worked still. But when duplicating a tab into a tab all it did was open a new tab without duplicating the content.

I still really have a need for IE Tab though... that was why I bothered updating it. I'll have to see if I can roll back IE Tab to the previous. Maybe check their forum to see what is there.
vancod

Post by vancod »

Well, this helps explain what I posted here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 88#2486488

I will have to look at the authors of IE Tab as well.....

EDIT:

From the IE View FAQ:
How can I disable the Always-View-in-IE list?

This is generally only necessary in unusual circumstances, such as when other extensions are interfering with IE View, causing bookmarks or links to stop working. TabBrowser Extensions is the usual culprit. As of IE View v1.2.2, you can turn off the always-view-in-IE list, which disables the code most likely to run into conflicts.

To completely turn off this feature, you need to manually add a user preference:

1. Load the about:config screen
2. Right click, select New, then Boolean
3. For the name, enter: ieview.disableForce (case sensitive)
4. For the value, select 'true' to disable all the force-in-IE stuff
5. Restart Firefox
vancod

Post by vancod »

Sadly - the """fix""" from IE View doesn't fix squat....
twanno

Post by twanno »

el_leumas wrote:EDIT: OK, I found out what went wrong. I fixed the problem when I un-checked the option to "Give Focus to new tabs" under the Duplicate Tab Option Menu in Extensions. After I uncheck the box, its back to normal and its working! Any idea why?

OK, I think this might well be caused by the incompatibility with IE Tab.

For as now there have been reported two temporary solutions to 'fix' this problem:
1) Uncheck the option "Give Focus to new tabs"
2) Downgrade IE Tab to version 1.1.0 (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/history/)

I'll report the bug as soon as possible to the author(s) of IE Tab, and I hope they will/can fix this.

Regards,
Twanno
Oomingmak

A couple of issues

Post by Oomingmak »

I've been using Duplicate Tab v0.5.1.happily for many months (on Firefox v1.0.6).

I've finally got round to upgrading to Firefox 1.5.0.7 and thought I'd try out new latest version of Duplicate Tab (v0.8.1).

I noticed on Twanno's web site that it says "In Firefox 1.5 and Seamonkey 1.0 you can also Shift+Drag tabs to duplicate them."

I just wondered why this particular modifier key was chosen? I ask because shift+drag in Windows always means 'Move' where as control+drag always means Copy / Duplicate. It seems like quite a counter-intuitive choice, as it goes against Windows conventions.

I noticed that a modified drop marker icon (with a plus sign on it) has been included in Duplicate Tab to show when a tab is being copied. But if you control+drag a tab and keep your mouse button held down when over a suitable drop point, you will see that Windows automatically adds plus marker to the pointer, because control drag is a standard copy action.

Is there anyway for users to be able to change the way Duplicate Tab handles this? (I assume that an extension like KeyConfig would not help in such a situation).

Likewise control clicking to shift tabs into merged windows seems odd. Shif+click would make more sense given that Windows uses the shift key for 'move' actions.

I also seem to be having major problems with tab context menus for Duplicate Tab. They have a life of their own and keep going haywire, often appearing and disappear at random. I'm pretty sure that Duplicate Tab is not to blame (as I did briefly try it out on a clean install, and it seemed fine). At first I thought it might be clashing with Click2Tab, but I have seen that this is one of the programs that is known to be compatible with Duplicate Tab.

I have a feeling that the latest version of Menu Editor (v1.22) is the culprit, but I haven't done enough testing to be absolutely sure.

I used Duplicate Tab v0.5.1 together with MenuEdit (20050221) for the whole of last year with no problems at all and so I'd be grateful if anyone else using Duplicate Tab with the current version of Menu Editor could comment.

Thanks.
twanno

Re: A couple of issues

Post by twanno »

Hi Oomingmak,

First of all, thank you very much for your useful comments.

Oomingmak wrote:I just wondered why this particular modifier key was chosen? I ask because shift+drag in Windows always means 'Move' where as control+drag always means Copy / Duplicate. It seems like quite a counter-intuitive choice, as it goes against Windows conventions.

I noticed that a modified drop marker icon (with a plus sign on it) has been included in Duplicate Tab to show when a tab is being copied. But if you control+drag a tab and keep your mouse button held down when over a suitable drop point, you will see that Windows automatically adds plus marker to the pointer, because control drag is a standard copy action.

Is there anyway for users to be able to change the way Duplicate Tab handles this? (I assume that an extension like KeyConfig would not help in such a situation).

You are absolutely right, I wasn't aware of ctrl+dragging to be a standard copy action. I chose shift because it felt right :P.
I assume that people don't use shift+drag much with Duplicate Tab, because a while back there was a bug with it, but I didn't get any complaints. So in the next version I shall change that to ctrl+drag.

Likewise control clicking to shift tabs into merged windows seems odd. Shif+click would make more sense given that Windows uses the shift key for 'move' actions.

Can you give examples. I chose ctrl+click, because on Windows when you want to select several items together you can ctrl+click them one by one. While shift+click will also select all items between the items you select.

I also seem to be having major problems with tab context menus for Duplicate Tab. They have a life of their own and keep going haywire, often appearing and disappear at random. I'm pretty sure that Duplicate Tab is not to blame (as I did briefly try it out on a clean install, and it seemed fine). At first I thought it might be clashing with Click2Tab, but I have seen that this is one of the programs that is known to be compatible with Duplicate Tab.

I have a feeling that the latest version of Menu Editor (v1.22) is the culprit, but I haven't done enough testing to be absolutely sure.

I used Duplicate Tab v0.5.1 together with MenuEdit (20050221) for the whole of last year with no problems at all and so I'd be grateful if anyone else using Duplicate Tab with the current version of Menu Editor could comment.

I will try to test Duplicate Tab with Menu Editor, and see what happens. I use Duplicate Tab and Click2Tab myself without problems, so I indeed don't think Click2Tab is the problem.

Thanks,
Twanno.
chacallot

Integration with allinonegesture on linux

Post by chacallot »

Hi!

I've been happily using duplicate tab integrated in allinonegesture on Windows for a long time.
I got used to the integration procedure.
Now am trying to integrate both using linux but am not as much lucky.

I did the same things I used to do under windows. I replaced
aioLinkInTab(window._content.document.location.href, true, false);
with
duplicateTab.selectedTab = getBrowser().mCurrentTab;
duplicateTab.toBeClonedBrowser = getBrowser().mCurrentBrowser;
duplicateTab.duplicateInTab();
In allinonegest gestimp.js

But this doesnt work.

So, I also added a :
alert("Hello, world!");

To check I was modifiyng the right function.

So now, when I do a allinonegest duplicatetab, I get the alert("hello, world"), but no tab dup.

Any idea of what could be wrong, or of any tool I could use to get more debug info?

(obviously I made so duplicate tab is loaded before allinonegest)

Regards,
Chacallot.
twanno

Post by twanno »

I am really sorry. The code has changed in the last versions of Duplicate Tab. I totally forgot to be backwards compatible with that code.

You can replace

Code: Select all

duplicateTab.selectedTab = getBrowser().mCurrentTab;
duplicateTab.toBeClonedBrowser = getBrowser().mCurrentBrowser;
duplicateTab.duplicateInTab();
with

Code: Select all

duplicateTab.duplicateInTab(getBrowser().mCurrentTab);

That should definitely work.

regards,
Twanno
chacallot

Post by chacallot »

Rite, that's ok now using duplicateTab.duplicateInTab(getBrowser().mCurrentTab);

I recommand you update http://twanno.mozdev.org/duplicatetab/ with this info.

Thx for your work!
Am so lazy, I like being able to clone a tab with a simple mouse gesture...