[Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
LchenMZ

Re: [Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Post by LchenMZ »

Found the below link offering an .xpi working on my 3.6.3

Installed Firefox 3.5 but Duplicate tab isn’t working? | nickriebe.com
September 12, 2009
http://nickriebe.com/installing-to-fire ... t-working/

================================================================
Empatojayos

Post by Empatojayos »

I posted a working add-on for Firefox 4. (I modified the original, now accepts Firefox to v4.9)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R89NAL1X
Empatojayos

Post by Empatojayos »

I posted a working add-on for Firefox 5. (I modified the original, now accepts Firefox to v5.9)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U9SIHQSZ
(Tested in FF 5 beta 5)
Empatojayos

Post by Empatojayos »

I posted a working add-on for Firefox 6. (I modified the original, now accepts Firefox to v6.9)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RDE5U47C
(Tested in FF 6 beta 3)
Empatojayos

Post by Empatojayos »

I posted a working add-on for Firefox. (I modified the original, now accepts Firefox to v8.9)
http://banashare.com/z2ua9mkx8l22
(Tested in FF6 stable, FF7 beta 2, FF8 (aka. Aurora) alfa 2)
bizarrojack

Post by bizarrojack »

Hi - I just thought I'd post a heads-up, it looks like in the newer versions (I'm using "Nightly" 20110829055008 but it's not new), the back/forward history changed somehow, and it affects this add-on. I'm using "Nightly" now, and when I duplicate tab, even if I don't have the "Clone Back History" or "Clone Forward History" options selected, you can still sort of get the history by right-clicking the back/forward button. Nothing's broken, but I figured Twanno might want to know, because he might be able to get the same effect with fewer lines of code if there is a change, later on. Or maybe just make it the default behavior because it's coming "free" from the underlying app, anyway.

p.s. Empatojayos, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api <-- this will get all your "incompatible" add-ons working, forever.
Empatojayos

Post by Empatojayos »

Hello bizarrojack, yesterday i tested this addon in Firefox Nightly 9.0a1 (32 bits), and worked suitably. I did not have problems deactivating back-history and forward-history cloning. Your problem look like a conflict of addons. (I tested this addon alone).
Esteem your interest.
Greetings.

PD: My mother language is spanish.
PD: Another alternative causal is the x64 edition of Nightly. (I hope that is not, i do not can test).
frankell

Post by frankell »

it's perfectly working on 9.0.1 !
btw I would like to customize the toolbar button, I tried with the chrome.css using the name "duplicatetab-button"
but it's not working, please may I have the right text to use (i.e. for Brief I used #brief-button )
thanks in advance !
uncoolcentral

Post by uncoolcentral »

Duplicate Tab still kicking strong in Firefox 44.0, with xpinstall.signatures.required set to false in about:config. ff46 is supposed to remove this option. If you still want to use this tab-duper after that, look for the fabled unbranded firefox release. Fingers crossed! -dandreifort.com
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Patrick Dark

Post by Patrick Dark »

In Firefox 44, one can middle-click or Ctrl-click the "Reload current page" icon in the Awesome Bar to duplicate a tab with preserved page history. No add-on is necessary unless you want to be able to do this, say, through a dedicated button or menu item.
Know that nothing is impossible; it is merely a matter of difficulty. —personal mantra
uncoolcentral

Post by uncoolcentral »

I use the plugin to easily have the new tab action mapped to control-shift-u.
Is there a way to do that without the plugin?!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Patrick Dark

Post by Patrick Dark »

uncoolcentral wrote:I use the plugin to easily have the new tab action mapped to control-shift-u.
Is there a way to do that without the plugin?!
I just examined the XUL and JavaScript source code in Firefox 44, which calls a function called BrowserReloadOrDuplicate that calls a function called duplicateInTab when you middle- or Ctrl-click the ""Reload current page" button. It doesn't look like there's a keyboard shortcut for either of those functions.

It should be trivial to write an extension that fixes that though. I'm guessing most of the work will be in (A) deciding what the default keyboard shortcut should be and (B) creating a UI panel to change the keyboard shortcut. Regarding (A), I'm not sure Ctrl+Shift+U makes a lot of sense since Ctrl+U is used for View Page Source.

I'll try to get around to writing an extension after I finish the Thunderbird extensions I'm working on.
Know that nothing is impossible; it is merely a matter of difficulty. —personal mantra
uncoolcentral

Post by uncoolcentral »

I'll promote any new extension you cobble together that gets me away from this old goat, Patrick! Let me know if you need any testing/feedback.

I know Ctrl+T and all intuitive variations thereof are already mapped. The Ctrl+Shift+U doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's better than nothing. ...I think it might've been this plugin's default.

Are there any frameworks or modular aspects of other extensions you could grab to handle remapping the shortcut? e.g. I still use Keyconfig to remap keys in ff. http://mozilla.dorando.at/
Patrick Dark

Post by Patrick Dark »

uncoolcentral wrote:I'll promote any new extension you cobble together that gets me away from this old goat, Patrick! Let me know if you need any testing/feedback.
So, I have a basic version of this working. It was harder than expected since adding an XUL key element via JavaScript doesn't do anything and the reason for that doesn't seem to be documented by Mozilla anywhere. Using a DOM event listener for key presses got the job done. I'll see what I can do to upload it in a bit.

The hard part will be allowing customization. I have to account for "Dead" keys and "Unidentified" keys (to use DOM UI Events terminology); I'm still not sure how to account for the former. Then I have to create a preference validator to make sure the values are syntactically correct and that the shortcut is not already being used.

It'd also be nice if I can figure out how to create a "tab was duplicated" pop-up under the tab, but that'll probably be in a third version. The openPopup method is inexplicably ignoring the pop-up panel I created and I'm not sure why.
uncoolcentral wrote:Are there any frameworks or modular aspects of other extensions you could grab to handle remapping the shortcut? e.g. I still use Keyconfig to remap keys in ff. http://mozilla.dorando.at/
I prefer to avoid frameworks and write all code myself. I took a look at the code for that extension, but it's so disorganized that I decided not to examine it closely.
uncoolcentral wrote:I know Ctrl+T and all intuitive variations thereof are already mapped. The Ctrl+Shift+U doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it's better than nothing. ...I think it might've been this plugin's default.
Alt+D seems intuitive; D is in the word duplicate. It can also be easily pressed with one hand.

Ctrl+Alt+T also seems intuitive since Ctrl+T opens a tab and adding Alt would indicate an alternate version of that action, but the hand position required is too awkward. Alt+T is also a good candidate, but it's slightly harder to press than Alt+D. I guess which is better depends on whether the user is likely to press Alt+D by accident; the chance seems negligible to me.

Lastly, there's also the quotation mark (") character, which looks like the ditto marks (〃) character, but it requires a key shift (i.e., Shift key) meaning that three to four keys will need to be pressed in most keyboard configurations, which seems like too many if someone uses this function often enough that they want to download an extension for it.
uncoolcentral

Post by uncoolcentral »

Alt+D is already mapped for me, thusly:
name: focusURLBar2, id: focusURLBar2, shortcut: Alt+D, code:
openLocation();

So is Ctrl+Alt+T:
name: Open Tab Here [ColorfulTabs], id: colorfulTabsOpen, shortcut: Alt+Ctrl+T, code:
colorfulTabs.openTabHere();

...but I probably use more addons than the next guy.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-