[Ext] Duplicate Tab 0.9 [2007-01-18]

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
twanno

Post by twanno »

kylen wrote:I tried to install with the latest 1.5 Beta 2 and it is giving me an incompatibility error.

That's because it is incompatible ;-).

It was compatible with 1.5 Beta 1, but there were some changes between Beta 1 and Beta 2 regarding tab drag&drop reordening, and especially features Duplicate Tab takes advantage of. At the moment I'm trying to fix those issues and I'm also adding another feature, so please be patient :).

Of course the main features of the extension still work with Beta 2, and the extension also doesn't break Firefox, so for the time being you can make the extension compatible yourself. (There only will be some errors in the JavaScript console.)

Twanno
simmon

user interface idea

Post by simmon »

it might be a nice ui option to be able to duplicate tabs from the back pages history,

so that, you can drop down the back pages(s) history list, and then use something like a middle click to open another tab of that page with its history, enabling you to go down a different branch of links without losing the branch your on.

this gives an easier way to fork history retrospectively, which i think is often how its needed.
twanno

Post by twanno »

Hi simmon,

That is a good idea, I will look into this, and I'll try to add it with the next release.

Twanno
technomage

Post by technomage »

twanno--

In slight connection with simmon's request, you might look to incorporate (or at least take a look at for reference) the features of MozFBRH. Basically, middle clicking (or control clicking) back, forward, refresh, home, and go perform the requested action and at the same time duplicate the current tab. It also places the tab to the left of current rather than the right of current or end if the back button is what's being duplicated.

Unfortunately, this extension is not compatible with any flavors of 1.5 for some reason, so it would require some recoding on your part, but the overlays would probably still work without much change and would save you time if you wanted to incorporate them.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508 Firefox/1.5.0.4
Mozilla Thunderbird version 1.5.0.4 (20060516)
Desktop: WinXP Pro | AthlonXP 1700+ | 512MB DDR | ATI Radeon 9000
Laptop: WinXP Home | Intel Centrino Solo 1.66 GHz | 1024 MB DDR2 | Intel GMA 950 Graphphi
vervoort

Post by vervoort »

technomage wrote:...but the overlays would probably still work without much change and would save you time if you wanted to incorporate them.

As MozFBRH doesn't work on Firefox 1.5, I looked for a replacement and found it in DuplicateTab. Still, I missed MozFBRH's middle-click-on-Go feature. So I am very happy to report that after adding the following code (based on the MozFBRH overlay) to content/duplicatetab/duplicatetab.xul (after the </toolbarpalette> closing tag) the middle-click-on-Go feature seems to be working perfectly:

Code: Select all

<toolbarbutton id="go-button" 
   onclick="if(event.button == 1 || event.ctrlKey == true || event.shiftKey == true) duplicateTab.duplicateTab('tab', null, event);"
   />
twanno

Post by twanno »

I'm sorry, but your requests to include features from MozFBRH came to late to include them in Duplicate Tab 0.7, but I will try to include (some of) them in the next release.
At least middle clicking on the drop down menu items of the back and forward toolbar buttons is included now :).

For now I'm thinking about including all what you requested, except from placing tabs opened from the back history left from the current tab (it will just be placed according to the general duplicate tab preference: at the end or next to the original tab).

Twanno
Tinmania

Strange Behavior

Post by Tinmania »

I've been recently having major issues with Duplicate Tab (.07).

Essentially, it just doesn't work at all--or at best unpredictably. The two issues are:

1.) Duplicating tab to a new tab almost always results in an empty new tab. Ditto for opening a tab in a new window.

2.) Merging windows seems to have gone crazy. I have my settings set so that the last active window is--or should be--merged with the current window. Instead, another window (which may have not had the focus for hours), gets the merged tabs. This is unbelievably frustrating due to the issue noted above (i.e., I can't just merge the tabs to new window).

This is causing me to basically cut-and-paste URLs--losing all history in the process.

I suspect this is a conflict with another extension, so I will list them:

(Firefox - 1.0.7)
DOM Inspector - 1.0
IE View - 1.2.7
Copy Plain Text - 0.3.2
Duplicate Tab - 0.7
Tabbrowser Preferences - 1.2.8.8
QuickNote - 0.6.0.1
Define Word - 0.6.0
Disable Targets For Downloads - 1.0
SessionSaver.2 - d1 * nightly 30
Adblock Plus - 0.5.11
Adblock Filterset.G Updater - 0.2.6

Hope there is a solution, since I find Duplicate Tab extremely useful!

Thanks,
Mike
twanno

Post by twanno »

For issue 1:

Do you have any of the following preferences set to true (in about:config)?

"nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache",
"nglayout.debug.disable_xul_fastload"

I found out that these options together with Adblock Plus will mess up the history in any newly opened window except for the first window.
Does reload not work when you open a second window of Firefox?

If you don't have set these preferences to true, can you try duplicating a tab with Adblock Plus disabled? Because I have heard of a few issues before between Adblock and Duplicate Tab, but I never have been able to reproduce.

For issue 2:

Are you on linux?

On linux (or Gnome at least) I can't get the windows listed in Z-order, this somehow doesn't work. Therefore I list them from first opened to last opened as a workaround. So the tabs from the current window are merged with the tabs from the newest (or next newest) window (as in most cases, I presume, the last active window is the next newest window and the current window is the newest).
Tinmania

Post by Tinmania »

Hi twanno,

Thanks for the reply.

With issue number 1 I didn't have either of those options set to true--as far as I can tell (neither show up in about:config at all).

As to the second issue, I am running Win XP SP2. The behavior I'm trying to describe is not consistent. But the major issue is that when merging windows, a window other than the last window (that had focus) was merged to.

I even deliberately (to be safe) switch to one window and scroll around a bit (just to ensure its focus is noticed). I then switch to another window, right-click and choose Duplicate Tab-->Merge Windows. But what often happens is another other window is merged instead of the last one that had focus. This other window may not have had the focus for hours--yet it is the one merged for some reason.

Anyway, I have disable AdBlock Plus (and its updater) and will see how things go.

For the record, I believe this issue began before Duplicate Tab 0.7 was released. I can't pin down exactly when it happened, since so many extensions have been updated due to FF 1.5. If I had to take a guess, I would say it was either AdBlock Plus, or SessionSaver when this behavior first began.

As I write this, with AdBlock Plus disabled (and the PC with a fresh reboot) things seem to be working OK with Duplicate Tab. I don't know if this will last, as the behavior I'm experiencing--or hopefully was experiencing--is not consistent. With my luck the odd behavior will return the second I send this message. :)

Anyway, I wish I could provide more data-points. But I do appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Mike
twanno

Post by twanno »

Does disabling AdBlock Plus also fix issue 2?
jp347

Duplicate Tab when click on forwards or backwards broken

Post by jp347 »

Hi
When I middle click forwards or backwards I do not get a duplicate tab-I just get the page opened in a new tab. The option is turned on in the options, I am using Windows XP, Firefox 1.5 and Duplicate Tab 0.7.1. I have tryed disabling all other extensions, but it didn't help. It does this everytime I middle click forwards or backwards.
Any suggestions?
John
twanno

Post by twanno »

The option to duplicate a tab on middle clicking on the forward or backward toolbar buttons does only work on the drop down menus of those toolbar buttons for now, and not on the toolbar buttons themselves.

I'm sorry for the confusion,
Twanno
jp347

Post by jp347 »

OK, thanks.
aoeu

Post by aoeu »

I see a 0.7.2 version in the auto-updater, but nothing in the changelog. Care to elaborate if this is a valid release or a suspicious fake?
Thanks in advance.
siGnatURe [in scii-art]
twanno

Post by twanno »

It's a valid release, I was just about to update the first post of this thread. That's the disadvantage of waiting for when the extension is approved on addons.mozilla.org with updating the information about the update ;).

Twanno