[Update for 1.0 PR] Super Drag and Go

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
tombik

Post by tombik »

I wrote my comment on extensionmirror half a hour ago, but will do it here also:
This extension rulez!!
Hating to middleklick on my BIG mousewheel this extension shortens up the way over rightclick - open link in new tab..
WFM nicely on 0.8 and 0.9.
Thanks a lot!!

Tombik
Sariyan

Re: new extension available now!: Super Drag and Go, try it

Post by Sariyan »

morphis wrote:It allows you:
1) Drag
e) a tab (cloning a tab: remember "<a target='_blank' href='http://www.twannos-extensions.tk/' >duplicate tab </a> " extension?)

and throw it anywehere blank on your webpage and open it on a new tab (if you dragged a tab, you will get it coloned in a new tab)

what do you mean? i can't drag my tab :roll:. am i doing something wrong?
jedipi

Post by jedipi »

morphis wrote:No bugs so far ?! feel surperised!
Is there any <b>Linux/MacOS</b> guy trying this extension out? How it goes?

This extension works fine on my Fedora (2.6.6).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040615 Firefox/0.9
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

Sariyan wrote:what do you mean? i can't drag my tab :roll:. am i doing something wrong?

Sorry Sariyan, if you want the ability to rearrange tabs by clicking on an dragging tabs themselves then you will need one of these extensions: Tabbrowser Extensions or miniT.

This extension performs a different function. This is an example of what it does: Click the left mouse button on an image. Hold the left mouse button without releasing it, now move the cursor off the image and release the left mouse button. A new tab will open containing the image you just 'dragged and dropped'.

You can also left-click a link and holding the left mouse button again, you can drag and release anywhere on the page and it will open that link in a new tab. Furthermore, you can highlight text (click and drag over a set of text to select) and then left-click on that highlighted text, drag it and release the left mouse button to search the text you selected.

Hope that helps. ^.^
Last edited by Rowne Mastaile on June 25th, 2004, 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sariyan

Post by Sariyan »

Roan Foofitush wrote:
Sariyan wrote:what do you mean? i can't drag my tab :roll:. am i doing something wrong?

Sorry Sariyan, if you want the ability to rearrange tabs by clicking on an dragging tabs themselves then you will need one of these extensions: Tabbrowser Extensions or miniT.

ahhh.... i knew it :D. sorry Roan Foofitush but i was thinking i missed something :).

Roan Foofitush wrote:This extension performs a different function. This is an example of what it does: Click the left mouse button on an image. Hold the left mouse button without releasing it, now move the cursor off the image and release the left mouse button. A new tab will open containing the image you just 'dragged and dropped'.

You can also left-click a link and holding the left mouse button again, you can drag and release anywhere on the page and it will open that link in a new tab. Furthermore, you can highlight text (click and drag over a set of text to select) and then left-click on that highlighted text, drag it and release the left mouse button to search the text you selected.

Hope that helps. ^.^

i know, i know 'coz i use you extension :P.

thanks to this extension one can forget about text links extensions and search bar :).
Last edited by Sariyan on June 25th, 2004, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
morphis

Post by morphis »

This extension <b>doesn't</b> support this "drag a xpi and install" feature so far. This feature could be an interested one. Thanks for your suggestion.

UPieper wrote:Nice extension!

I have 1 problem though. If I want to install an extension by drag & drop, instead of the installation being triggered by dropping the .xpi file on the browser window, a new tab is opened.

Is there a solution? (such as pressing shift when dropping or something?)

UP
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

This extension should be made part of the base, with proper accreditation given to the author, of course. It is one of the reasons I'm still using MyIE2 as my primary browser (others being rfc 2557 support and a simple, yet powerful, launch bar [Utility bar] support.)

Get this feature into the base and I will once again feel the pull to bring me back home.

PS. I don't wish to re-argue the benefit of leaving features as extensions. I see this as a no-brainer for inclusion in the base, it's small, it's powerful and it belongs in the base, imo.
morphis

Post by morphis »

Open the new tab in foreground or background according your <b>system wide</b> configuration of "browser.tabs.loadInBackground"

So,add

Code: Select all

user_pref("browser.tabs.loadInBackground",false);
to your <b>User.js </b>

or change the value of variable "browser.tabs.loadInBackground" to <b>false</b> through "about:config".

If you seek fg/bg option specific to this "Super Drag and Go" extension, sorry it isn't available yet.

GrailKnight wrote:Fantastic extension morphis and I would also like to see an option to have the tab open in the foreground.
Thanks.
morphis

Post by morphis »

It IS small: totally less than 100 lines if they want the features of this extension added into the base code.

Sailfish wrote:This extension should be made part of the base, with proper accreditation given to the author, of course. It is one of the reasons I'm still using MyIE2 as my primary browser (others being rfc 2557 support and a simple, yet powerful, launch bar [Utility bar] support.)

Get this feature into the base and I will once again feel the pull to bring me back home.

PS. I don't wish to re-argue the benefit of leaving features as extensions. I see this as a no-brainer for inclusion in the base, it's small, it's powerful and it belongs in the base, imo.
Last edited by morphis on June 25th, 2004, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morphis

Post by morphis »

What kind of conflicts do you get ? details please.

I just tried with both TBE extension and SuperDragAndGo installed on a clean profile, played around with the tab-dragging (arranging the order of tab and/or throwing it on the content area) and didn't found any problem. Maybe something else?

NetOne wrote:Some comment about the tab dragging: I'm using TBE extension. TBE allows users to move the tab position buy drag and drop. So they are conflicting with the clone tab feature of this extension. So I wonder is there anyway to custom the operation?
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I have Tabbrowser Extensions and Super Drag & Go installed (among many other extensions, somewhere over 60 now) and I see no conflicts.

I can:
Tabbrowser Extensions
. Click and drag one tab on top of another to group them.
. Click and drag one tab behind another (or behind a number of tabs) to move its position. I can rearrange tabs successfully in any order.
Super Drag & Go
. Throw an image, which will open in the background in a new tab.
. Throw a link, which will open in the background in a new tab.
. Throw a text URL, which will open in the background in a new tab.
. Highlight and throw some text, which will open Google in the background in a new tab and search the text.

I believe this is the default/standard function of both? So, I can verify that I see no problems here. I've pasted my UA before but here it is again for the sake of convenience.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040621 Solardragon/0.9 (Firefox/0.9 rebrand)

-Edit-

And I'm only just getting used to this Javascript stuff but... to get around the global 'loadinbackground' thing with tabs, could you assign a variable and then call the tab with getBrowser().selectedTab? Such as...

var dragtab = whatever code you use to create the tab.
getBrowser().selectedTab = dragtab;

Not sure if that helps. Prolly doesn't but it occured to me after something I was dinking around with.
Last edited by Rowne Mastaile on June 25th, 2004, 10:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
UPieper

super drag and drop

Post by UPieper »

Hi Morphis,

I wouldn't call that a feature of your extension, it's the normal behaviour of the 0.8 series (don't know if it works still this way in 0.9 series). Super drag and go should just not interfere with this standard FX feature.

Thanks,

UP

Morphis:

This extension doesn't support this "drag a xpi and install" feature so far. This feature could be an interested one. Thanks for your suggestion.
morphis

Re: super drag and drop

Post by morphis »

Unfortunately, I just tested and found it did interfere with 0.9 (I guess 0.9+ too). See updated original post of this thread. Thanks for pointing this out.

UPieper wrote:Hi Morphis,

I wouldn't call that a feature of your extension, it's the normal behaviour of the 0.8 series (don't know if it works still this way in 0.9 series). Super drag and go should just not interfere with this standard FX feature.

Thanks,

UP

Morphis:

This extension doesn't support this "drag a xpi and install" feature so far. This feature could be an interested one. Thanks for your suggestion.
morphis

Post by morphis »

Now you can config "drag-throw-open in the new tab" in foreground/background by config your browser's "<b>browser.tabs.loadInBackground</b>" preference. See my updated original post of this thread.

Roan Foofitush wrote:...
. Throw an image, which will open in the background in a new tab.
. Throw a link, which will open in the background in a new tab.
. Throw a text URL, which will open in the background in a new tab.
. Highlight and throw some text, which will open Google in the background in a new tab and search the text

And I'm only just getting used to this Javascript stuff but... to get around the global 'loadinbackground' thing with tabs, could you assign a variable and then call the tab with getBrowser().selectedTab? Such as...

var dragtab = whatever code you use to create the tab.
getBrowser().selectedTab = dragtab;

Not sure if that helps. Prolly doesn't but it occured to me after something I was dinking around with.
UPieper

Re: super drag and drop

Post by UPieper »

Hi Morphis,

I am using V 0.8 and I can re-confirm that it also affect this version.

Max

morphis wrote:Unfortunately, I just tested and found it did interfere with 0.9 (I guess 0.9+ too). See updated original post of this thread. Thanks for pointing this out.

UPieper wrote:Hi Morphis,

Thanks,

UP

Morphis: