Enhanced History Manager 0.5.8.05 (Dec 28 update)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

AnonEmoose wrote:Version 0.3
Did I mention that you rock? FANTASTIC! Thanks for the new version :D
mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

AnonEmoose wrote:
mimeryme wrote:AnonEmoose, could you please include a view grouping by date and site?
I would if i knew how...LOL. i just hacked the old Netscape/Mozilla History Manager... I don't know javascript or xul

mimeryme wrote:Also, here are recolors of the original history button, if you'd like to use it.
MANY THANKS!! I added them....Now it won't be so ugly

Version 0.3 is available HERE

The appreciation is duly noted, but I really didn't do much to alter the original icon. :)

As for the 'Date and Site" grouping, I did some peeking in Firefox's history.js and I added it to the extension. I modified three files and I think I got carried away editing the menubar. Here are the edited files. (Note: I edited two switch statements in history.js, added a label and accesskey in history.dtd, and removed/rearranged the menu in historyComm.xul -- just cut&paste jobs.)

Thanks for implementing the sidebar view AnonEmoose. I really like having it accessible there.

With the new additions though, there are a few things that I felt was missing from 0.3 and perhaps could be added in a future version:
  • The sidebar doesn't toggle like other sidebar extensions (e.g. RSS Reader) or even the default history manager.
  • There is no middle-click action on the history items to open the item in a new tab.
  • Searching from the sidebar opens a new window instead of using the sidebar.
  • Also, an inline sidebar search with a menu option similar to View (to toggle between name/location and contains/starts with/...) would be nice.

I also notice that some menu entries are never active for me (Delete host, Delete domain, Sorted by First Visited/Hostname/Referrer/Visit Count). Is it just me?
Kitefighter

Post by Kitefighter »

mimeryme wrote:
  • The sidebar doesn't toggle like other sidebar extensions (e.g. RSS Reader) or even the default history manager.
They don't? My sidebar opens up when I click the EHM-Icon and closes when I click again. The default history manager behaves exactly the same. Or am I getting you wrong?

mimeryme wrote:
  • There is no middle-click action on the history items to open the item in a new tab.
Seconded.

mimeryme wrote:I also notice that some menu entries are never active for me (Delete host, Delete domain, Sorted by First Visited/Hostname/Referrer/Visit Count). Is it just me?
They become active when you choose to display the correspondent column.
mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

Thanks for the info Kitefighter.

I guess I wasn't very clear w/ the sidebar toggle comment. You are correct that it works "properly" when the actions are performed subsequently. However, if you observe the button, it behaves as a simple button instead of a checkbox like button with two states. The latter attribute is true for the default History Manager's button, but not so for the Enhanced History Manager's.

It's not just cosmetics though. The behavior with sidebar toggle elements (extension or not) is that when the sidebar is not viewed, a press on the button would bring the sidebar to view; and when the sidebar is in view, another press on the same button would hide the sidebar. However, if another sidebar toggle element is pressed, the sidebar should stay in view and simply load what the button normally loads in the sidebar.

That last part does not hold true in this case. The best way to view this behavior is to do the following:
  • Click on Enchanced History Manager's button - sidebar opens to display the EHM
  • Click on History Manager's button - sidebar loads the HM
  • Click on EHM's button again - the sidebar is closed and the HM's button stays in checked mode

I hope that's a bit clearer.
CyberSlug

Post by CyberSlug »

I think this screenshot shows what mimeryme is talking about.

AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

ok i'm working on a few of your suggestions.... hopefully i will have a minor release shortly....

mimeryme wrote: However, if another sidebar toggle element is pressed, the sidebar should stay in view and simply load what the button normally loads in the sidebar.

That last part does not hold true in this case. The best way to view this behavior is to do the following:
  • Click on Enchanced History Manager's button - sidebar opens to display the EHM
  • Click on History Manager's button - sidebar loads the HM
  • Click on EHM's button again - the sidebar is closed and the HM's button stays in checked mode

FIXED properly updating the toggle status per mimeryme observation
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

mimeryme wrote:...perhaps could be added in a future version:
  • Also, an inline sidebar search with a menu option similar to View (to toggle between name/location and contains/starts with/...) would be nice.

point #1 FIXED
point #2 FIXED
point #3 Current behavior is preferable (to me) since if one isn't satisfied with results or misspells u will have to reopen the History Manager.
point #4 That seems way over my head.... lol
Download 0.3.2 Version HERE

Updated: July 14, 2004
- MiddleClicking link(s) opens it/them in a New Tab
- FIXED: History Manager button Toggle updates all other sidebar toggles correctly
- Minor CSS tweaks for the ToolBar Button
- Added hierarchical sort method "Day & Site"*, *(ie. "Day" further categorized by 'Site' ) courtesy of mimeryme, Thanks Again!!
- More Minor label tweaks
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Silent Update due to a small fixup...
mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

Excellent updates AnonEmoose. Thanks for the fixes. :)

I see your point on #3. I was trying to implement #4, but moving the GUI elements are much easier than getting it to actually do the searching.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

mimeryme thanks for your suggestions & help....

Another minor Update to be released soon...

Now you can hide "Location" column to conserve space without missing the "location" information.

Added Feature:
- Selected link's Location viewable & updates in Status bar.
- Selected Group Title viewable & updates in Status bar.

and
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Updated Current Version is 0.3.3b:
Enhanced History Manager 0.3.3b
EazY

Post by EazY »

I have a very simple suggestion which would make all the difference for me...

I hide the 'View' menu item in the menu toolbar with userChrome.css to save space, but in your extension it is used for sorting the history items, so a huge part of the functionality is lost... If you changed the name from 'View' to 'Sort' (a more precise and descriptive name anyway), then it wouldn't be blocked and I could make use of your great extension!

AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

EazY wrote:If you changed the name from 'View' to 'Sort' (a more precise and descriptive name anyway), .....Thanks :)
I currently have no plan to change that... If i do another major update; then, perhaps....

However, you still can fix that up on your end by modifying the file "utilityOverlay.dtd "in the
hcpm/content/utility/ folder in the hcpm.jar. Just unzip the file and modify in a text editor then replace the original with your edited file

Just Change the line
<!ENTITY viewMenu.label "View">

to
<!ENTITY viewMenu.label "Sort">

u can optionally remove the access key line as well

<!ENTITY viewMenu.accesskey "v">
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

I've often wondered what this button does. I'm afraid of what it might do. Just try it comes to mind but I'm very sensitive of my history. So... what does it do?

Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

It pops up a menu listing the available columns. Active columns have a check next to the name. The button also appears in the bookmark manager.