Enhanced History Manager 0.5.8.05 (Dec 28 update)

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

CyberSlug wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:.... if u want it like that here's how to do it on your machine, it's pretty simple.

With FF closed. Firstly, make a backup copy of your browser.jar then
1. Unzip the browser.jar and locate the browser.xul file .....

Worked great, thanks!
Would the level of compression on hcpm.jar affect Firefox performance?
it shouldn't.... in fact higher compression of all FF jar files is one of the things ppl do to to conserve space when running FF off a Memory Key
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

I've been using this extension for a few days now, and I have one simple suggestion. I don't know if others will like this, but sometimes I get a bit lazy when using this extension and well, I'm still not too used to it. I liked the original history sidebar better in one way: the search function was right there when the sidebar was open and did not require me to click on something like Tools in order for the search function to be displayed. Simply put, I would like it better if the search bar was visible just in the history sidebar alone and not in a pop-up that would require me to click something just to get there.

I doubt that you, AnonEmoose (the writer of this extension), would actually do this, but if others agree with my thinking here, please post so that AnonEmoose can improve this already-great extension.

Thanks =)
-=MaStA ViC
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

I love this extension! I have a couple of questions though.

1. How can I rename the Enhanced History Manager button?

I like to have toolbar button names showing on my toolbar, and adding the EHM button results in a huge long button because of the length of its name. Also, the text for EHM is along side the button instead of underneath it (as is the case with all my other buttons) so the icon is not at the same height as the other toolbar icons. This makes my toolbar look really ugly (and the EHM button actually falls off the edge of my browser window because it is too long).

2. Is it possible to set EHM to default to your preferred method of opening?

While I do usually prefer to use the sidebar, EHM has so much useful information that I would like to display, that I end up showing it in a window (otherwise you can only see the first few letters of each column, which is not very useful).

I know you can mid-click on the button to open in a window, but I would like to have this as the default action when left clicking on the EHM toolbar button.

Is this possible?

Thanks for any assistance.

Oomingmak
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Major Update: July 31, 2004
-ADDED: 'Quick Search' Bar
-ADDED: Window Title displays Search Term(s)
-ADDED: Perform Consecutive Searches (NO need to close "Search Results" window)
-ADDED: 'Advanced Search' Menu Button
-FIXED: Button Text Display
Download the New Enhanced_History_Manager_0.4.0

Important note for all those who swapped thier hot key.... Don't forget to edit the "hcpmOverlay.xul" file as I outlined in step 3 here
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 779#682779
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

MaStAViC
I hope 0.4.0 update allows u to remain as lazy as u wish... hehehe

Oomingmak,
1. Part of your request is fixed. U probably can fix the long name issue by following the instructions in step 3 http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 779#682779
BUT instead of editing "hcpmOverlay.xul" edit "history.dtd" substituting your text for the bold on the line
<!ENTITY historyWindowTitle.label "Enhanced History Manager">

2. Even in Sidebar mode the columns are movable. Also, u can show/hide any of the various columns by clicking th little image all the way to the right. (It's actually called a "columnpicker"... lol)...
BTW personally I use the Window Mode most of the time, yet most people wanted Sidebar Mode as default so I that's how made it (and so it shall remain... at least for now :) ;) )
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Thanks a lot AnonEmoose =) I use a lot of extensions and this one has quickly become one of my favorites... hehe. And thanks for taking my suggestion to heart; now let's hope no one wants to kill me because I may have possibly made a great extension not as great... lol.

Thanks again, and take it easy,
-=MaStA ViC
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Well if they don't like it they can always get an older version.... ;) ;)
but I have a feeling most ppl will like the update...
then again, who knows... hehehe :-) :-)
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Some screenshots of new look & Features

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

AnonEmoose wrote:Major Update: July 31, 2004

What did you mean by this? At first I was excited because I thought it was my alt text suggestion but after checking I was dissapointed.
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

oldtimer wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:Major Update: July 31, 2004
What did you mean by this? At first I was excited because I thought it was my alt text suggestion but after checking I was dissapointed.

hehe sorry to dissapoint you .... The fixup was the text label (not to be confused with the tooltip) for the toolbar was appearing on the side instead of underneath the icon on the toolbar & on the customize window button palette.

As for giving the "columnpicker" a tooltip (or a label), i'm still not sure if that is possible. If i find out ,or you have any tips let me know.....
mimeryme

Post by mimeryme »

AnonEmoose, great update. Thank you. :)
Oomingmak

Post by Oomingmak »

Hi AnonEmoose,

Thanks very much for your reply (and for the button label fix).

1. I notice in your latest version that the icon and text are way out of alignment when the button is not pressed in (Icon and text is much higher up than any other toolbar button). This fixes itself and aligns perfectly with the other icons and button text when the EHM button is in its pressed in state. Do you notice the same thing in your system?

2. I appreciate that you have set sidebar view as default because that is the most popular way to do it, but may I just ask, does this mean that it is not possible to use a keyboard shortcut to open directly in window view? In other words, will I always have to use the toolbar button to get to the window view?

Thanks

Oomingmak
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Oomingmak wrote:1. I notice in your latest version that the icon and text <....> Do you notice the same thing in your system?

1. yes, i did see that when i was testing for your label issue.... i don't use text mode so i didn't really pay attention before. It has to do with the css style and I will fix it up---- provided i can figure out how ..... lol..

Oomingmak wrote:2.In other words, will I always have to use the toolbar button to get to the window view?

2. Yes, Right now that is correct (well almost)... Or u can use the the "History Manager" menu item under the "Go" key to open a window...

I was toying with the idea of adding another hotkey to do that and since u asked nicely i will hehehe.... hmmmm so what key combo shall it be..... suggestions welcome and make sure they are not in use or too common
wazoo

Post by wazoo »

I like this extension but the button image looks a bit out of place with my theme. Is there a way to change it ?? Is there an extension that allows to do that (editing buttons images) ??
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

wazoo wrote:I like this extension but the button image looks a bit out of place with my theme. Is there a way to change it ?? Is there an extension that allows to do that (editing buttons images) ??
I think u can overide the image by editing your userChrome.css to point to another icon image also located in the chrome folder.

eg add the following lines to userChrome.css:

Code: Select all

#hcpm-button {
list-style-image : url("YourIcon.png") !important; }

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #hcpm-button {
 list-style-image : url("YourIcon.png") !important; }

toolbar[iconsize="small"] #hcpm-button[checked="true"]
url("YourIcon.png") !important; }

Then copy the icons into the profile directory's chrome folder.