Linking PDF files (Mac)

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Dave n

Linking PDF files (Mac)

Post by Dave n »

I have been using Seamonkey since it was netscape, but now I find that I can't successfully Link a new pdf file. It tells me it can't find it.
Can some one please advise me.
Last edited by DanRaisch on April 10th, 2021, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Mac) added to Subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: Linking PDF files

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to SeaMonkey Support as no specific bug has yet been identified here.

Please clarify. What do you mean by "Link a new pdf file"?
What version of SeaMonkey are you now running.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Dave n wrote:Can some one please advise me.
Install PDF Viewer:
https://github.com/IsaacSchemm/pdf.js-s ... /releases/

It should solve most problems with PDF encountered while browsing Internet.
Dave n

Post by Dave n »

I an using seamonkey-2.53.7.en-US.mac
I have in the past been able to add new linked pdf files on the index page of my web site www.lightauto.com when I wish add content to the site. With my latest update I have attempted to add a new file in the same manner as I have previously and everything seems correct but when I test the update I get an error message the the file cannot be found.
Please advise.Davee.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Dave n wrote:I an using seamonkey-2.53.7.en-US.mac
I have in the past been able to add new linked pdf files on the index page of my web site http://www.lightauto.com when I wish add content to the site. With my latest update I have attempted to add a new file in the same manner as I have previously and everything seems correct but when I test the update I get an error message the the file cannot be found.
Please advise.Davee.
Are you using the Composer component?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Dave n

Post by Dave n »

I am using Composer. is composer components different?
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

If you're using Composer, make sure that the option "URL is relative to page location" is checked off, when adding your document links. If not, then when you upload to the server, the URL may be trying to link to a file on your computer and not on the server. The URL will look something like "file://My Documents/foldername/filename.pdf" and not actually to the file on your webspace.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)
Dave n

Post by Dave n »

If you're using Composer, make sure that the option "URL is relative to page location" is checked off, when adding your document links. If not, then when you upload to the server, the URL may be trying to link to a file on your computer and not on the server. The URL will look something like "file://My Documents/foldername/filename.pdf" and not actually to the file on your webspace.

I always follow the above procedure when adding a link. I first prove the link in my computer files and that transfers to the page when posted on my web hosts server.
But not now, I cannot get it to work now anywhere. I have posted my latest item by renaming the file and using a previously established link. proving that the problem is establishing a link and not the file.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Dave n wrote:But not now, I cannot get it to work now anywhere. ..
What happens when you tried the following -

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14867877

I ask because often people assume that any problems after an update must the fault of the update and go off on a long tangent to try to find a workaround.

Often, it wasn't the update at all, but something else entirely in their profile.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Dave n

Post by Dave n »

I had tried safe mode with no results and have now changed back to version 2.49.5 where I was able to restore a link that I lost while looking for an answer.
Have not been able to add any new links.
Will try again later.
Thanks to all for support. Dave.
Dave n

Post by Dave n »

I successfully sorted my problem and written down the results to aid my failing memory and to aid anyone else that has had this problem.
Link addresses will not work if typed directly in to the box, they have selected by using Choose file. To choose a pdf file on a Mac you select choose file, then options, then in options, format all files and then you can select the required file from the list.
Thanks to all for support. Dave.
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Good to know, but very strange indeed. It must be a Mac thing (or at the least not a Linux thing) as I use Composer quite a bit and have never experienced this problem with entering URL links. Thanks for sharing your results and glad to hear you figured out what the problem was.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)