Places in 2.53.13

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Places in 2.53.13

Post by Frank Lion »

Places/History in 2.53.13 seems not as robust as in 2.53.12.

STR - take 32 bit version of 2.53.13 and Ctl+H > View > By Site > delete a large folder, i.e. google/bing, etc. (a useful method to maintain a quick responding Bookmarks and History.)

Expected - after a period of 'Not responding' folder will be deleted and normal transmission resumes.

Actual - 2.53.13 explodes, blows up and crashes.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Re: Places in 2.53.13

Post by frg »

Not aware of any recent changes here but changes in storage and other stuff might have triggered it. Mozilla fixed it only in 91 or so. It is usually an out of memory so the x86 triggers it faster. The x64 will just chug along and come back to life eventually.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Not aware of any recent changes here but changes in storage and other stuff might have triggered it.
I reckon so. Sometime I'll swing over to the x64 version.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:...The x64 will just chug along and come back to life eventually.
Yep, been using the x64 version of 2.53.13 for over a week now and it handles Places/History deletions OK, slowly, but OK.

The x64 version also doesn't seem as high across a long session, RAM-wise, as I seem to recall it did used to. All in all, I reckon I'll be sticking to x64 from now on.
frg

Post by frg »

Thanks for the update. Yes the x64 is now much better imho. The npapi and most of telemetry removal in hot places also helped.

Bsically the x64 is the only version left in town. I usually only test x86 briefly for the releases and rely on others to tell me if something is wrong with the prerelease builds. Thanks to Bill building them I also knwo when this breaks.

FRG