"Allow documents to use other fonts" bug

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Lef

"Allow documents to use other fonts" bug

Post by Lef »

I can confirm this behavior.

Also I find it strange that cursive and fantasy fonts ONLY work when "Allow documents to use other fonts" is set. I don't think that's supposed to be intended.

To reproduce:

Bug 1: Cursive and fantasy font only work when "Allow documents to use other fonts" is set

1. Go to: https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS1/ ... sec522.htm
2. In Preferences > Appearance > Fonts, select a font for Cursive/fantasy
3. Toggle on and off "Allow documents to use other fonts"

Bug 2: Pre tags aren't forced to use monospace font

Load the html Pim posted above.
Last edited by James on December 7th, 2022, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: split off from ancient 2006 thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=362026
Lef

Re: "Allow documents to use other fonts" bug

Post by Lef »

Evidently replying to a 17 year old thread that no one else replied to is considered less than ideal practice. I only wanted Pim to know that 17 years later he was not ignored :(

For the ease of future viewers here is the thread's content I replied to:
Pim wrote: This concerns the "Allow documents to use other fonts" checkbox.
First of all, to me this phrase sounds like the documents, with the checkbox unchecked, can still use the fonts you submitted here; the serif, sans-serif, fantasy and cursive ones, while in reality, that's not the case. Commands that change fonts stop working altogether, and there is no more way a document can request, e.g. a cursive font. Oh well, that could be just me.

However, there is a notable exception to the font commands not working, and that is inside of HTML tags that normally use a monospaced font: TT, PRE, TEXTAREA etc.
If, with "Allow documents to use other fonts" unchecked, a document tries to set the font for one of these tags, the actual displayed font changes from monospaced to the standard proportional.
Example:

Code: Select all

<html>
<head><title>bug example</title>
<body>
<pre>This is monospaced, like normal</pre>
<pre style="font-family:Georgia">This is supposed to be Georgia</pre>
<pre style="font-family:Courier">This is supposed to be Courier</pre>
So if your default font is Arial and your mono font is Courier, the first line will be displayed in Courier, while the second and third lines display in Arial.
That's not how it should go, is it? With "Allow documents to use other fonts" off, the second line should look the same as the first line, right?
If this has been discussed before, could anybody point me to the thread it's in? I did search for it and couldn't find it.
This behaviour is not unique to SeaMonkey, it occurs across all Gecko browsers (Firefox, Netscape etc), but there is no "Generic Gecko bugs" forum here...
Frank Lion

Re: "Allow documents to use other fonts" bug

Post by Frank Lion »

Lef wrote:I only wanted Pim to know that 17 years later he was not ignored :(
Are you on medication or something?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)