Bug still in Quick Launch in Win32 1.2

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
jonathanbrickman0000

Bug still in Quick Launch in Win32 1.2

Post by jonathanbrickman0000 »

I start Mozilla 1.2 (or 1.2b, or 1.1, or 1.0.1) on my WinME, turn Quick Launch on. I exit Mozilla. Quick Launch exits, restarts. Every single time.

Can I help somehow to fix this bug? I have reported it several times over the last year.
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

Asa?

can we *please* get some backing on this now?

It's driving me NUTS....

On a laptop with a 4200 RPM drive, this is torture.

Now that we need a 1.2.1 can you throw in a fix for this?

Something before 1.3

many of us use mail, and need something tested and reliable, hence w don't mess with Alpha's or even Beta's at first... so that means we have to wait weeks for a 1.3 to be stable enough.

1.2.2 maybe if not 1.2.1?

Please?
jonathanbrickman0000

1.0 is all that I can put on Win32

I have a friend with a solid 400 MHz Win98. Mozilla is perfect for his uses (he uses FoxMail for email, and IE is too slow for reliability on his box), but I cannot install better than 1.0 on his machine, because of this bug.
asa

Re: Bug still in Quick Launch in Win32 1.2

Post by asa »

jonathanbrickman0000 wrote:I start Mozilla 1.2 (or 1.2b, or 1.1, or 1.0.1) on my WinME, turn Quick Launch on. I exit Mozilla. Quick Launch exits, restarts. Every single time.

Can I help somehow to fix this bug? I have reported it several times over the last year.

Not using quicklaunch would go a long way to fixing your problem. This is not a bug. This is intended behavior. Mozilla is unloading itself and restarting the quicklaunch feature. If that makes quicklaunch unusable for you then don't use quicklaunch. If that makes Mozilla unusable for you then maybe try Phoenix or some other Gecko-based browser. If that doesn't work for you then I can't help.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
larfnarf

bravo asa

Post by larfnarf »

yeah.. I rember the quick loader origionally stayed open all the time... I think...
But way back they made it so that it would close and open with mozilla... I beleive it is to help refresh the program.. and to clear and reload it in memory so it takes up less ram ext....

As to why the preloader seems to take 3 times as long and 100cpu while preloading now... is another story :P

But yeah... the preloader is intended to close out and reopen :P
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

There isn't any way to optimize this process and make it a bit more zippy?

Perhaps make it an option to reload every time the ram exceeds XXMB or something?

QuickLaunch for the most part is great on laptops, since when programs load they spool our really slow drives....

But if it can be cut down... would be better.... Personally I would sacrifice RAM for the sake of this issue.

Question: How does MS keep IE's RAM in check then?
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

"Question: How does MS keep IE's RAM in check then?"

They don't, its built into the OS. You can never "unload" IE from the OS like you can with Mozilla so it is in no way fair to try to compare the memory process of Iexplore.exe versus mozilla.exe. Even when you exit Iexplore.exe its underlying technology is still running and taking up memory because its built into the OS.
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

Perhaps that's the approach that Mozilla should use for QuickLaunch 2?

Why isn't Mozilla's front end separate? So that the underlying technology is still running lean in the background?
jonathanbrickman0000

Re: Bug still in Quick Launch in Win32 1.2

asa wrote:
jonathanbrickman0000 wrote:I start Mozilla 1.2 (or 1.2b, or 1.1, or 1.0.1) on my WinME, turn Quick Launch on. I exit Mozilla. Quick Launch exits, restarts. Every single time.

Not using quicklaunch would go a long way to fixing your problem. This is not a bug. This is intended behavior. Mozilla is unloading itself and restarting the quicklaunch feature. If that makes quicklaunch unusable for you then don't use quicklaunch. If that makes Mozilla unusable for you then maybe try Phoenix or some other Gecko-based browser. If that doesn't work for you then I can't help.
--Asa

I have heard this before. "This is not a bug; it is a feature." It does not make Quick Launch unusable. It makes it slow, and it causes problems when I or especially neophytes with whom I work want to do something immediately after quitting Mozilla. This bug, not a feature, is clearly simply a statement of unwillingness to bring the quick launch code to where it was in 1.0, that is to say, very fast and effective. I am well aware that an exit and a restart of Mozilla is not required, though obviously you think I am not. You certainly can help, sir; but I do understand that you will not now help. Thank you for taking the time to deliver what you have so far done on this thread.
scratch

Post by scratch »

it may not be necessary, but it was added on purpose to flush the memory and whatnot.
DIGITALgimpus

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

scratch wrote:it may not be necessary, but it was added on purpose to flush the memory and whatnot.

Why can't there be some flag to disable this "feature"?

It obviously is a nusance to many if not most people?

Even if it's not in the UI....

If it is makes a good thing bad... it's a regression... Hence bug.

This to me is the first MS like "Enhancement" that Mozilla has made.
jonathanbrickman0000

it is a bug, not a feature

Here is a nice quote from the Mozilla 1.2.1 release notes:

QuickLaunch

When you close the last window, Mozilla will unload itself and reload itself this may take a while. This will probably result in lots of disk thrashing. (Bug 143764)

When you close the last window, the icon in the tray will disappear and reappear at the end of the tray. (Bug 146340)

I hope that developers in charge will not decide to follow the contradictory language available previously in this thread, and will instead continue what is written in the 1.2.1 Release Notes.
DIGITALgimpus

Re: it is a bug, not a feature

Post by DIGITALgimpus »

jonathanbrickman0000 wrote:Here is a nice quote from the Mozilla 1.2.1 release notes:

QuickLaunch

When you close the last window, Mozilla will unload itself and reload itself this may take a while. This will probably result in lots of disk thrashing. (Bug 143764)

When you close the last window, the icon in the tray will disappear and reappear at the end of the tray. (Bug 146340)

I hope that developers in charge will not decide to follow the contradictory language available previously in this thread, and will instead continue what is written in the 1.2.1 Release Notes.

Sounds like a bug *cough*enhancement*cough* to me