Tahoma is a Sans-Serif Font!

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Kukkatto

Tahoma is a Sans-Serif Font!

Post by Kukkatto »

Why the hell is TAHOMA among the Serif-Fonts? It s a Sans-Serif Font and should be among the Sans-Serif Fonts and NOT among the Serif Fonts!
Philip Chee

Re: Tahoma is a Sans-Serif Font!

Post by Philip Chee »

Kukkatto wrote:Why the hell is TAHOMA among the Serif-Fonts? It s a Sans-Serif Font and should be among the Sans-Serif Fonts and NOT among the Serif Fonts!
On my trunk build:
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26a1
Tahoma is properly listed under san-serif fonts.

Phil
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Philip Chee wrote:On my trunk build:
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26a1
Tahoma is properly listed under san-serif fonts.

On my stable build: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.23
Tahoma is listed in both serif and sans-serif fonts... :-"
--
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

For each drop-down there are set of serif fonts and sans serif fonts listed
Kukkatto

Post by Kukkatto »

Sorry, it is totally weird and does not make any sense to declare Serif-Fonts to be Sans-Serif and vice versa. Name that in a way with comprehensible logic! If you separate "Serif"-Fonts and "Sans-Serif"-Fonts, then you have to declare them as they are. But what you want to do is to declare some usages for certain fonts that "usually" are serif or sans-serif. But you cannot tell things like: "this is stone and that is metal, and we now say "metal" to the stone and "stone" to the metal. That totally lacks logic! What sense does it make to declare a sans-serif font to be a serif font and vice versa? Lunatics do things like that – but there are reasons why they are in the asylum ... And things like that is exactly the stuff for that ...
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Kukkatto wrote:What sense does it make to declare a sans-serif font to be a serif font and vice versa?

It makes sense if you don't ever want to see serif fonts because you find them difficult to read. Especially since they tend to be slightly smaller than sans-serif fonts.

Edit: and because some web authors really are lunatics who think it is acceptable to have a title font 2 inches tall above a text block all at 9 point... with a bright-white background and grey text. It's enough to make me want to completely disable CSS on a great many web pages these days.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/