status bar greyed out missing everything

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
chazbroam

status bar greyed out missing everything

Post by chazbroam »

Hello,

When I start SeaMonkey Mail, most of the time I cannot see anything on the status bar -- even the 5 bottom left normal buttons are gone: Browser, Mail & Newsgroups, Composer, Address Book, IRC Chat. If I:
1) click on a link in an email, then all of the 5 status bar icons show up in the browser's status bar.
2) then I exit out of the email client, and
3) restart the email client with the button on the browser's status bar, then they all come back like they were never gone.

Why can't I have my status bar icons/buttons (the 5 typical ones from the bottom left) appear when I start SeaMonkey in the Mail Client? Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
chazbroam
Last edited by chazbroam on February 19th, 2014, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patrickjdempsey

Re: the 5 status bar buttons/icons missing

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I may be wrong, but I believe these icons are located in the folder for the browser, so if the browser isn't loaded, they aren't loaded either. But just for good measure, have you tried Safe Mode? Menu > Help > Restart with Addons Disabled.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
chazbroam

Re: the 5 status bar buttons/icons missing

Post by chazbroam »

patrickjdempsey wrote:have you tried Safe Mode? Menu > Help > Restart with Addons Disabled.

I have now. Thanks for the tip. Problem is after I restarted a couple times the solution did not stick.

It's not just the 5 buttons in the corner that I don't see. I don't see anything in the status bar. Not even the "Unread:####", nor the "Total:#####", nor the connection icon after that.
patrickjdempsey

Re: status bar greyed out missing everything

Safe Mode is not a solution... it is a trouble shooting tool. There's a few things you can try if Safe Mode "fixes" a problem.

1. Try disabling hardware acceleration. This is known to sometimes cause weird rendering issues in the interface. Edit > Preferences > Appearance > Content > uncheck Use hardware acceleration etc. Restart the browser for it to come into effect.

2. If hardware acceleration doesn't help, it is possibly an extension. (Although I'm still not 100% sure it isn't just a SeaMonkey bug) In the Addons Manager, try disabling half of your extensions and restart. Keep trying to disable half of half until you find the likely suspect.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
chazbroam

Post by chazbroam »

Turns out it was Adblock Plus. I turned it off first, because it of a Bugzilla report that I read that seemed similar. I replaced it with Adblock Edge. The problem has now vanished even after several restarts of SM.

=D> =D> =D>

solved.
patrickjdempsey

AFAIK AdBlock Edge is *identical* to AdBlock Plus except for one tiny option changed. It is built from the exact same source code. I don't even really know why it needs to exist, let alone how it could possibly solve this issue.
chazbroam

Post by chazbroam »

Actually, after SEVERAL restarts it happened again. I'm not living without some sort of Adblock, so I'll just have to live with this problem.

Problem still unsolved. :( ](*,)
patrickjdempsey

Have you tried the hardware acceleration? Also, have you tried without running any form of AdBlock?
chazbroam

Post by chazbroam »

yes to both. I am still running without hardware acceleration.

Disabled all Adblock, restarted several times again. problem stopped happening when NO Adblock was running.

But like I said: I refuse to run without Adblock at all.
patrickjdempsey

OK. I'm guessing you have AdBlock set to display in the statusbar? Since Firefox no longer uses the statusbar, it's possible that this implementation is broken and the author doesn't realize it. What happens if you uncheck this option and move the AdBlock icon from the Customization deck up onto a proper toolbar?
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I'm using AdBlock Plus 2.3.2 and don't see any problems with the status bar in MailNews with SM2.24. Maybe an option you've set?
chazbroam

Post by chazbroam »

Actually, No. My AdBlock Edge and my NoScript icons are up on the the bookmark toolbar on the right hand side.
therube

Post by therube »

ABP 2.4.1 is buggy in SeaMonkey, period.
(And very possibly in FF too?)

ABP 2.4 seems to work OK.
And if not that, there are always earlier versions too.

ABP 2.3.2 that I ran was a "hacked" version to fix, https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12911.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript