Offline mode does not actually go off line

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
illegiblecaptcha

Offline mode does not actually go off line

Post by illegiblecaptcha »

So I clicked the online/offline doofer in the status bar to make Seamonkey go offline. I went into the add-on manager but the spyware panel still loaded (the page of adverts and other cruft based on my browser phoning home with details of what I have installed, likely a unique combination, especially when versions and languages and options are taken into account).

And now I have surfed to here and am writing this post with the browser offline! The connector thing down there in the bottom right is broken, the mouseover says "You are offline. Click the icon to go online". On the file menu the 2nd from bottom entry, "Work Offline" has a tick in the box.

Offline mode is not working, and has cost me privacy as far as I am concerned (when the world's biggest advertising company is Mozilla's main funder I cannot view Mozilla as anything but some tax-dodging wing of Google, which does a lot to promote Google's desires and deliver them direct to users).

How the hell does such an utter failing get through? How can a basic feature like this be bypassed?

Whilst I barely care at all for the idea of delivering applications across the web (the scope for lock-in is massive, hence web 2.0 hype by industrialists and fan-boys (mindlessly doing what industrialists want)) offline mode not working likely means that any kind of offline web-app availability will be unreliable and patchy. I can't imagine the Googleplex will care for my attitude, but when the anti-social agenda interferes with features there is no choice but to fix the features.

Actually, this bug is dangerous considering that I am using TOR. I reign in much web content as possible and going offline is part of that control. But when offline does not work, and the chrome: stuff is scripting that does not get stopped by script control software this bug looks to be a major security risk. Yeah, the media have been chuffed recently about nonces being caught on TOR because of JS/extension/plug-in user-errors, but those same attacks are used on people just seeking to escape oppression. Offline mode not working is a security hole, it not being addressed rapidly will show contempt for the users of Mozilla products (but IMHO that has been how things have been for quite a while, Google's motives and influences have been trashing things).
therube

Re: Offline mode does not actually go off line

Post by therube »

Are you sure it's not pulling from /Cache/ ?
Offline does work for me (Windows).

---

I opened the browser, existing Profile, started here: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas ... onkey2.24/
Then went "offline"
Then proceeded to open the first number of links on that page, successfully, while being "offline"
Then I cleared /cache/
Subsequent attempts to open the same pages resulted in "Offline Mode: This document cannot be displayed while offline. To go online, uncheck Work Offline from the File menu."

---

PS: Instructions (setup, extensions, ...) anywhere on using SeaMonkey with Tor?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript