40% CPU

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Frank Lion

40% CPU

Post by Frank Lion »

SeaMonkey may indeed use less than half the RAM that Firefox does, but I noticed that every so often SM hit 40% cpu for no obvious reason.

Eventually I found a site where that happened, closed all others and toggled off JS and then Ctl + F5. No changes. However, the reason is this - image.animation_mode Set it to 'once' and it stops and, although I hadn't noticed before, that was a .gif heavy site.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Re: 40% CPU

Post by therube »

Here too: Edit | Preferences | Privacy & Security -> Images => Animated images should loop...

Yeah, sometimes its surprising how much impact a "little thing" can have on the browser.
"Small" Flash ads, a scrolling banner, ... may have a high impact on the browser.

> SeaMonkey may indeed use less than half the RAM that Firefox does

(Can't say I've seen anything like that, just about equal in most respects, I've found, but I'll leave it at that.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The GIF memory bug is pretty old... I believe there was an attempt to fix it back around Firefox 4.0 development because it was wanted for some of the tab animation bling, but I'm not sure if work on it was just unsuccessful or got scrapped with the rest of the unfinished features.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:
SeaMonkey may indeed use less than half the RAM that Firefox does

(Can't say I've seen anything like that, just about equal in most respects, I've found, but I'll leave it at that.)

That was just something I've consistently noticed when I've been in the Task Manager for other things. Still, a very good thing.

patrickjdempsey wrote:The GIF memory bug is pretty old... I believe there was an attempt to fix it back around Firefox 4.0 development....

It must be sort of fixed on Firefox or I'd have noticed CPU rises like that.

Until SM fix it, I'd suggest they set animations to 'once' by default. Out of 100 people coming to use SM, then 99 of them are going to notice that CPU jump, whereas as only 5 would notice that some silly smilie gif only animated once.

Easy 'temp' fix, especially (and bizarrely) there is also a Prefs Window options for 'always'.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

Oh, don't forget, we can still stop animated gif's with the ESC key.
(FF users now need an extension to accomplish the same.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I donno, I find GIF's annoying and especially now that all the youngsters think it's clever and make blog posts consisting of nothing but GIFs... with that fad even leaking into News sites. I was also having problems with Firefox freezing up one some of those sites, so I have them set to animate once.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/