MozillaZine

2.30 - Cant move places.sqlite, or import bookmarks.html

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
jeffw_00

Post Posted November 24th, 2014, 6:43 pm

I don't appear to have any of the "junk" files you mention. Perhaps the trick now is to move ALL the places.* file.

The sad thing is that we're all guessing, and this thread is now so long that no developer-type will read all the way down to find out that we still don't know the "right" way to do it.

Maybe time to switch to Thunderbird/Firefox. (sigh)
/j

KentonS

Post Posted November 24th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Moving all the files is probably a good idea. So is creating a bookmarkbackups directory in your profile directory. (Note: NOT in the "Profiles" directory, but in the directory all those places.sqlite* files are in. You're probably going to need one eventually anyway. Or not.

I wouldn't jump to Firefox/Thunderbird, BTW. Things are no better over there. I tried, and I went back to Seamonkey. For many reasons, among which is the old "better the devil you know than the devil you don't know" argument.

And you're definitely right: Sigh!

jeffw_00 wrote:I don't appear to have any of the "junk" files you mention. Perhaps the trick now is to move ALL the places.* file.

The sad thing is that we're all guessing, and this thread is now so long that no developer-type will read all the way down to find out that we still don't know the "right" way to do it.

Maybe time to switch to Thunderbird/Firefox. (sigh)
/j

jeffw_00

Post Posted November 24th, 2014, 7:39 pm

No offense, but I think you miss my point. It sounds like you don't have any better understanding of why something that used to work reliably doesn't work any more than I do. You used an elephant gun strategy on your specific setup with your specific files (old versions, etc), and it seems to have worked for you, so far, but it's not a proven solution, as the problem is intermittent. I "fixed" my problem just now by doing the copy from the source again the same way I always did (see OP) and it worked. It's possible that what fixed it for you was the fresh copy and the other was ineffective. How many times did yout try it after you "fixed" it?

Result is that there are an amazing number of posts in this thread and nothing to explain why the behavior changed or what should be done to make sure it changes back consistently. I appreciate the "moral" support from you and theRube in that you're kind enough to weigh in with your opinions, but the result is that the thread gets so heavy that my target audience (a developer type who would either have an answer or try to get the problem fixed) never reads this far. I guess I'll just go with my fix (retry until it takes), and wait for the next release, and if it's still broken then it's cool for me to post again ;-)

best regards!
/j

Return to SeaMonkey Bugs