PDF files won't open

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Wuxin

PDF files won't open

Post by Wuxin »

I have been researching this question to death but I can't find an answer! Why is it I cannot open a pdf file in SeaMonkey? If I receive an email with a pdf attachment I cannot open it on my Linux laptop. There has to be a way to do this--I've just been unable to figure out how. Anyone know what to do about this? Thank you!
barbaz

Re: PDF files won't open

Post by barbaz »

install pdf.js
therube

Post by therube »

> I receive an email with a pdf attachment I cannot open it

So you double click on the attachment (or however it might work in Mail) & (since it does not, except perhaps with extension [above]) open within SeaMonkey (or Mail), it still does not open externally in Okular or Adobe Reader or something like that?

If that is the case, then it could be a mime-type issue or something like that?
Last edited by therube on November 13th, 2014, 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

Thank you. I installed that and all I get now is a blank page. At the lower left-hand corner of the screen it says "stopped." But no image. The computer said the installation was complete so that's not the problem.
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

How would you open an attachment "externally"? There must be a way to get Adobe to work with it, but I can't seem find the connection to make that happen.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

sorry, I think I misunderstood the question.
Can you save the attachment to disk first, then open it?
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

If indeed this is a bug in SeaMonkey...that is a pretty big bug! Not to have access to pdf files is a real liability today! Should I plan to ditch SeaMonkey?
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

No, I am unable to save to disk--I gave that a try.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

What happens if you try to save the attachment?
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

Nothing. I'm not even given the option to save it. I just have a blank page with a cryptic series of letters for the file name. That is on "Download Page." So I really don't have an option to do much of anything.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Wuxin wrote:Nothing. I'm not even given the option to save it. I just have a blank page with a cryptic series of letters for the file name. That is on "Download Page."

If you've gone to a blank page or a "download page" then I suppose you are doing too much - probably by double clicking the attachment. Instead, right click on the attachment and then in the popup menu you'll have an option to save it.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

No, that doesn't do it either. I've tried it. For some reason the program is unable to connect with Adobe Reader, even though it is clearly installed on my computer. Didn't one of the posts above include a link saying that this was a bug in SeaMonkey?
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Wuxin wrote:No, that doesn't do it either. I've tried it. For some reason the program is unable to connect with Adobe Reader, even though it is clearly installed on my computer.

Well, this last sentence above indicates you haven't really tried it. Because saving files has nothing to do with SeaMonkey connecting or not with Acrobat Reader. I've tried it on Linux and indeed, SM will not open pdf attachments but it will save them without any problems. Describe in detail in which step you encounter an error: you right click on the pdf file in the "Attachments:" box and there are these items in the menu: Open, View Source, Save As, Detach, Delete, Save All, Detach All, Delete All. Obviously, you select Save As. Choose location for the file, e.g. Desktop. You double-click the file on the desktop and it opens in your default pdf viewer (Acrobat). Which of these steps doesn't work and what errors do you see?

Wuxin wrote: Didn't one of the posts above include a link saying that this was a bug in SeaMonkey?

No, one of the bugs is about pdf.js, which is an extension for SM/Fx, not being able to open pdf attachments - this is not really the same as opening pdf attachments in a default application on your system - this may be somehow related to your problem but it's not exactly that. The second bug is about composing messages, which is completely unrelated. None of these bugs are about saving pdf attachments.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Wuxin

Post by Wuxin »

I tried what you are suggesting but it does not work. I tried to copy and paste the flag that came up but it would not highlight. It was something about "Adobe Reader does not recognize this file or it was damaged (as in opening an attachment from a file) or improperly decoded." Not the exact words but something like that. The file was transferred to the desktop but was not then recognized by Adobe. It also transferred as a folder, not just a file. There were several unintelligible files within that folder. Sorry this is getting complicated but I'm simply reporting what's going on here.