bug or missing feature: position of new tab from menu contex

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Michael REMY

bug or missing feature: position of new tab from menu contex

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

i don't know whenever it is a bug or missing feature but this behaviour often boring me (then it won'ts happen in others broswer)

i open amazon, i do a search, for every result i open a new tab, then i close my tab (from where i do the search).
i go into the first tab (so the first result i selected),
i select the title, go into the contextual menu and chose "search google.."

and now that is where the bug : the new tab is always openning in the end whereas i need it to be place just after the one i done the contextual search. to i have to go the very far end tab list to go into my google search tab result....

when you open 20 tabs in the row, you are very bored by facts.

so, a option in preference which would be very wellcomed to chose where must be the new tab position (1. just after the parent, 2-end of the list, 3-top of the list, 4-before the parent tab one)

thanks yoy for help and have a good day

Mike
patrickjdempsey

Re: bug or missing feature: position of new tab from menu co

Post by patrickjdempsey »

SeaMonkey inherited Firefox's "related tab" code. IMO it was always wonky. You might try one of the Firefox tab modifying extensions and running it through the Addons Converter. viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2834855
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
therube

Post by therube »

What you describe is expected behavior.
Might not be your wanted behavior, but it is expected.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

therube wrote:What you describe is expected behavior.
Might not be your wanted behavior, but it is expected.

tottaly not !

imagine you write a book, you want to make a note (anotation, reference), then you put it in the bottom of the visible page, not in the very end page of the book.

when you do a search (by select a word and use contextual menu), you expected to have the tab od result just after you selected-text tab and not in the whole end of the 30 tabs !
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

A "new" tab is not considered "related". In the Firefox implementation (which SeaMonkey has borrowed), "related" tabs are ones opened directly from links on the "parent" page. Forcing a "new tab" or a "new search tab" will always open at the end of the tab strip because those tabs are not "related" to the original page. A new tab doesn't have a "parent" tab.

It's certainly arguable that a search invoked from the content of a page might be considered "related" to that page, but that's something you would have to take up with the architects of Firefox's implementation.... who have been reluctant to make any modifications to their weird implementation since it landed 5 years ago.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

A new tab doesn't have a "parent" tab

maybe it is simple to force the parent to be where (or from) the action is done.
ok i understand it is a problem from Firefox, my aplologizes.

but, can't you add in your system a new property like numero or index order to each tab and use it to reorder them by need ?

maybe tab instances object have a "created date property in the c-code or created object" that could be used to order the list by date the tab....
DavesnothereBBR

Post by DavesnothereBBR »

This one does it for ME, in FireFox, in PaleMoon, AND in SeaMonkey.

It's called Duplicate This Tab, and is at AMO.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ab/?src=ss

The AMO page says that it should not work with current SeaMonkey nor current FireFox (and the install.rdf contents also suggest that it should not work), but it worked as-is with my SM 2.26, and continues to work thru to 2.31 for whatever reason.

It will provide both a tab context menu entry and a movable button.

You will need to go into its own Options and tick the first one which says to 'place the new tab right next to the original tab', and into Customize to find the button if you also want that.

BTW, it even works with newer FireFox versions with the Australis UI, where I only use it to get the button, as Tab Mix Plus already provides me with the menu entry and the general setting for where my new tabs will be placed.

EDIT : SM 2.33 seems OK with it too.
Last edited by DavesnothereBBR on March 13th, 2015, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavesnothereBBR

Post by DavesnothereBBR »

I re-read your post, and while the other extension which I mentioned may be useful in SOME situations, this NEXT one may be closer to what you need, or together they may cover even more ground, as they do for me.

It's called Tabs Open Relative, and IIRC, it is a patched version of an old FireFox add-on.

http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmisc ... enrelative

You may have to search the page if it does not position itself at the right item.

Take version 0.3.3 at the first of the two links.

It has been fine for me with SM 2.26 thru 2.31 so far, and is one of several extensions which I found and use, in order to mimic the parts of Tab Mix Plus which are important to me, as TMP has not been made to work with SeaMonkey yet - just with the other Moz-based browsers.

EDIT : SM 2.33 seems OK with it too.