"G" named bookmarks

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Martii

"G" named bookmarks

Post by Martii »

Have an interesting issue here... have an issue on multiple Win7 machines and wanted to get some other Windows feedback. Issue is slightly present on Linux as well.

1. In a clean profile...
2. Create a bookmark in SeaMonkey 2.32.1 and start it out say with "Google" for lack of a better bookmark and point it to the obvious "http://www.google.com"
3. Use the Shortcut key to attempt to access it. e.g. expected Alt+B then G is for it to load google

Actual result ... most of the time nothing and occasionally new bookmark dialog on a well used profile. Try another shortcut key name that is non- "G" (or "g") letter and everything seems okay.

Any suggestions on what is going on?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
patrickjdempsey

Re: "G" named bookmarks

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Edit: misunderstood question at first.

If you press Alt+B and then G in en-US that will open the "Bookmarks" menu and activate "Bookmark this Group of Tabs". Likewise typing "M" will open the Bookmark Manager, typing "B" will Bookmark the current page. If the page offers an RSS feed, "S" will Subscribe to the feed. This may all be different in different Locales.

I've never heard of typing in a letter of the Title of a bookmark in order to access it from the bookmarks menu... but it certainly seems like it's not a very ideal way to go about it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Martii

Post by Martii »

A-ha... thanks patrickjdepsey that makes more sense. Got the initial report from one of our remotes and I'm still a bit used to the behavior in Fx where it doesn't assign those shortcut keys (some don't exist either).

I guess my next question is there a current up to date Add-on for SM that allows custom modifications to the menu so it doesn't assign those standard shortcut keys? AMO has intermittently doing it's usual not showing everything that is SM compatible on menu search... but retried today and it returns Menu Wizard... which appears to change the "Access Key" but doesn't appear to be peristent between restarts and reassigns the "G" key back to that menu item... Back in the day when I was using SM initially there was a different menu editor but that was about 8 years ago and the noggin doesn't quite recall it's name. This person is quite adamant at getting his support bookmarks with keyboard only before he'll switch from Fx to SM.

Thanks. :)
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Just looked in Firefox and it does appear that the accesskeys are missing... very weird. I guess this is an IE feature or something? It doesn't seem particularly useful to me, but I'm more of a mouse and bookmarks toolbar kind of user.

Anyway, building an extension to do this would be pretty easy, and if they didn't want those menu items at all they could removed with CSS:

Code: Select all

#organizeBookmarksSeparator,
#menu_iconic_feedsMenu + menuseparator,
#menu_iconic_feedsMenu,
#menu_bookmarkManager,
#menu_bookmarkAllTabs,
#menu_bookmarkThisPageAs,
#menu_bookmarkThisPage {
   display:none;
}

Note that this does not remove the similar items found on the Bookmarks menu on the Bookmarks toolbar, just the ones in the main menu.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/