Confusing message on starting private browsing

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
poppy10

Confusing message on starting private browsing

Post by poppy10 »

Hi,
When I open a new private browsing window (By going to File>New>Private Window) I get the following message

As you can see it seems to say two contradictory things - at the top it says I am in a private window, then it goes on to say I am not in a private window. Clicking "Open a new private window" at the bottom just leads to a new window with the same message.

The actual private window works as it should, but this message is confusing and contradictory
NanM

Re: Confusing message on starting private browsing

Post by NanM »

This is how it behaves in Win 7 now.
Apologies mods. removed image and links.
Hope the gif isn't too big for those with constricted bandwidth.
http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/charles_brown8/media/ZinePrivateBug_zpsbef1uydo.gif.html

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/charles_brown8/ZinePrivateBug_zpsbef1uydo.gif

EDIT: Can't reproduce OP's problem in Win 7. Private Browsing window opens without confusing detail, runs as true
Private Browsing and closes normally.
Last edited by NanM on June 26th, 2015, 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Post by therube »

Restart in Safe Mode.
Verify that it is now correct.
Figure out which extension of yours is interfering.
(And wonder if it hasn't broken Private Browsing entirely?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

rn10950 has reported the same problem with 2.35. But only on an existing profile. On a new profile it all works properly. I suspect a extension problem. Can poppy10 list the active extensions in his profile? And please confirm the SeaMonkey version number 2.33.1 ?

Phil
rn10950

Post by rn10950 »

I have figured out the source of the problem. Theme developers must now include aboutPrivateBrowsing.css in the chrome/communicator/ directory of their extension. I have filed a bug for this: bug 1178008