Problem in Preferences

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
syberani

Problem in Preferences

Post by syberani »

Preferences won't allow me to make SeaMonkey the default application for Mail and News. The options, Mail, News, and Feeds are grayed out. Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thank you,
syberani
therube

Re: Problem in Preferences

Post by therube »

That would tend to indicate that they are defaulted already?

Maybe set some other application as default for Mail, then see if you can set it back from within SeaMonkey.

Default browser
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
syberani

Post by syberani »

I still can't find a way to make the buttons work to select SeaMonkey as the default application for Mail and News. SeaMonkey functions as the default browser, but it is not functioning as the default for mail or news. I copied the following from the help section of Preferences: "Make SeaMonkey the default application for: Select SeaMonkey as the default mail, news or feeds application for Windows and from within other applications such as Microsoft Word." I can work around it, but the bug that disallows changing the setting in Preferences, General section of Mail and Newsgroups is annoying. Forcing the buttons to "unstick" so that SeaMonkey is default for mail and news still eludes me. :~(
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

It's possible that SM's preferences are being overridden by the OS. If that's the case, open the Windows Control Panel and click on "Programs". You'll see a section called "Default Programs". Click on it. Then you'll see an item called "Set program access and computer defaults". Click on it. You'll get a window with three options; click on the "Custom" option, then choose the programs you want to use for the various options. See more at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Using_Default_Programs_-_Windows_7_and_Vista.
But then again, I may be wrong.
syberani

Post by syberani »

Easy enough, but I tried it and it DID NOT WORK! I discovered something though! Chrome is my default browser. Then I found some most unwelcome info on the following page!
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... O2u5l0Xzwg
Chrome seems to be hijacking its default status along with a slew of other people's.
I really appreciate your suggestions. I think if I keep trying I may find a way to do this. So far I have tried through SeaMonkey, Windows, and Chrome.
syberani
syberani

Post by syberani »

I spoke too soon. I think I have finally managed to make Sea Monkey my default browser, however it does not appear to be my default for mail or news. The three buttons in Preferences are still not budging. In an earlier version of SeaMonkey they showed SM to be my default for mail and news. I don't remember what version it was. After I changed to Version 2.33.1, I downloaded Chrome and it decided to be my default browser. Somehow during that time Preferences stopped showing SM as my default for mail and news. At least SM is the default browser. I guess that is progress.
Syberani
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

syberani wrote:Somehow during that time Preferences stopped showing SM as my default for mail and news. At least SM is the default browser. I guess that is progress.
Syberani

If buttons in Preferences are "grey" it means such functions were enabled. If you want to be sure then create new profile and during start (new profile) SeaMonkey will ask you about "defaults".

If it's not working after that then you must handle with OS settings.

BTW Some softwares are bad written and are looking for specific program to execute (e.g. "iexplore.exe").
--