[solved] big lag ever since 2.38 release install

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Michael REMY

[solved] big lag ever since 2.38 release install

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

a couple of days ago, the 2.38 release of seamonkey has been installed on my computer.
Since this date, i have ENORMOUS lag-freeze where i had not before the 2.38 !
i don't know what cause this problem.

here a page that produce the lag :
http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/monde/20 ... d-hui.html

to stop this lag/freeze, i need to kill the plugin and all is speed again , i kill using this command line :
C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM plugin-container.exe

shall you tell me if the lag come from flash or javascript content ? it scares me a lot !

have a good day
Last edited by Michael REMY on December 9th, 2015, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPR75

Re: big lag ever since 2.38 release install

Post by TPR75 »

IMHO there are too much ads on that site. My filter list show almost one page (screen) with "red lines" (blocked content). And it's not freezing for me. Must be ads...

But hey! I tuned my Flash Player:
viewtopic.php?p=14349311#p14349311
... and I've blocked unwanted network activities for Flash too.
--
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Cuginovinnie

Post by Cuginovinnie »

I and my wife both have version 2.38. She has Windows10 and I have Windows7. At some screens, it will lock up and say SeaMonkey has failed. We close and re-start Sea Monkey and it comes up to where we were. We never had this problem until this latest upgrade. I would like to go back and install an earlier version of Sea Monkey, and turn off automatic updates. Can I do this without losing all my bookmarks and saved mail

?
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

Michael REMY wrote:hi,

a couple of days ago, the 2.38 release of seamonkey has been installed on my computer.
Since this date, i have ENORMOUS lag-freeze where i had not before the 2.38 !
i don't know what cause this problem.

here a page that produce the lag :
http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/monde/20 ... d-hui.html

to stop this lag/freeze, i need to kill the plugin and all is speed again , i kill using this command line :
C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM plugin-container.exe

shall you tell me if the lag come from flash or javascript content ? it scares me a lot !

have a good day

now, the strange bug is not happening anymore.
strange becvause it is same realease, same flash version, same webpage (with dynamics JS script i guess...)
therube

Post by therube »

@Cuginovinnie, so does anything mentioned apply in your case?
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... ases/2.35/

@Michael REMY, very possible that you just haven't hit the particular circumstance for the bug to manifest itself.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Cuginovinnie

Post by Cuginovinnie »

I am getting more and more freezes and lockups in version 2.38 I have to shut it down and start it again. When I let it shut down and restart it comes up to where it froze before and now, but is workable. I never got this before. I also note that we don't have a choice on updating. "We used to save the update to a downloads file and could go back and then run the update. It says it is updating and does it's thing. The last version I got to save was 233.1. Looking forward to seeing replies on how to stop the freeze ups..
lem3

Post by lem3 »

When it freezes I use Task Manager to kill the FlashPlayerPlugin process and all is well again. I assume it's some poorly written Flash ad or a problem in Flash itself. Wouldn't be the first time.
James

Post by James »

lem3 wrote:When it freezes I use Task Manager to kill the FlashPlayerPlugin process and all is well again. I assume it's some poorly written Flash ad or a problem in Flash itself. Wouldn't be the first time.

A simple thing to do is to set the Flash Player to "Ask to Activate" and then it will only run when you want it to.
Labradors Rule

Post by Labradors Rule »

Cuginovinnie wrote:I and my wife both have version 2.38. She has Windows10 and I have Windows7. At some screens, it will lock up and say SeaMonkey has failed. We close and re-start Sea Monkey and it comes up to where we were. We never had this problem until this latest upgrade. I would like to go back and install an earlier version of Sea Monkey, and turn off automatic updates. Can I do this without losing all my bookmarks and saved mail

?
Mozilla backup saves emails, bookmarks,passwords, and many other things in Sea Monkey. I think the version is 1.51 and it is free. Backs up Thunderbird, Fire Fox also. Saved my butt many times
MagnumOpus

Post by MagnumOpus »

Strangely enough, on the very same box (P4 / 2.2G / 1.5G RAM) SeaMonkey 2.38 and 2.39 are fine with WinXP, but HORRIBLE with Puppy Linux. I can barely get past the SeaMonkey home page before it starts locking up. On the other hand, SeaMonkey 2.35 and older are just fine...
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

i created this post the October 1st, 2015 with 2.38, now since the 2.39 i did not have this issue anymore.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Michael REMY wrote:... now since the 2.39 i did not have this issue anymore.
  • :-k
    You should add [SOLVED], to your first message in this thread. Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~