Inbox Being Deleted Upon Opening

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Mooreman

Inbox Being Deleted Upon Opening

Post by Mooreman »

Since updating to SeaMonkey 2.46 about once or twice a week upon opening my inbox new mail is downloaded and then starting at the latest email download, SeaMonkey will immediately start deleting all of my new email from my inbox before I can read it. If I go to the trash it will then proceed to start deleting all of my trash. Always with the most recent message first. The messages are also deleted from the server as well.

I have it set to download and leave messages on the server. This issue just started with the new 2.46 update. If I reboot before trying to drag the email back into the inbox from the trash, then the email stays in the inbox. I normally keep the email window open at all times and just minimize it when not checking my email. I also leave my desktop PC turned-on 24 x 7. Upon exiting power saving mode and maximizing SeaMonkey to read my new mail, is when the auto-deletion process takes off. And no, the delete key is not stuck on my G. Skill gaming keyboard. I have run both my Avira antivirus and MalwareBytes and nothing is detected. The bug only occurs when the SeaMonkey process has been running in the background for more than 24 hours. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

I also get this message when attempting to browse the Local Directory path "C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\oukozwz1.default\Mail\mail.wideopenwest.com" is not suitable for message storage. Please choose another directory.

I fail to see what is wrong about this directory path, have been using it for more than ten years. I have a lot of old messages stored in folders sorted by year in this path.

I have two SSD drives a 256GB Samsung Pro series C: drive and a 512GB OCZ data drive on this system. Both have plenty of space on them. None of the other programs I am is experiencing similar issues, just the latest SeaMonkey.

Obviously this is a very serious issue as I am losing email before I have the chance to even read it.
DanRaisch

Re: Inbox Being Deleted Upon Opening

Post by DanRaisch »

From what you said it sounds as though that account is set up as a POP type account. Please confirm that is the case.

Have you checked the Retention Policy setting for that account by right clicking on the Inbox name in the left hand folder pane, choosing "Properties" from the context menu and then clicking on the "Retention policy" tab?
Mooreman

Post by Mooreman »

Yes it's a POP3 account with Wide Open West (WOW). The retention policy is not active, the box is checked to use my account settings. I have reviewed my server/account settings and nothing has been changed in years. I have to manually delete my messages, then they go to the trash folder. I also disabled the Junk Mail controls in case they were going crazy. I also have screen captures from when I setup the account years ago that I can refer to for the email/server settings. I don't see any changes. Other than normal MS-Updates and the SeaMonkey update from v2.40 to v2.46, nothing has changed.

I also have an IMAP AIM.com account I use as a junk mail handout address. I get mostly junk email in that box as well and it does not self-delete. I notice the IMAP has a sync tab and the POP3 account does not. It acts like some kind of syncing is taking place. I thought that Mozilla gave up on that feature? Never seemed to work. I had created a sync account a few years ago and it never worked. Would have been nice, since I own more than 10 computers counting desktops and laptops and not counting my two Backup and NAS servers. Has Mozilla turned the email sync back on or cleaned out their server lately? That would be my theory. But why the program has to be open for several days before teh problem occurs is weird. I keep my trash for 2-3 years for tax reasons.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Has Mozilla turned the email sync back on or cleaned out their server lately?
Mozilla doesn't have email servers and the synch function relating to email only involves SeaMonkey (or Thunderbird) downloading the full content of IMAP messages so they can be accessed when there is no Internet connection available. The Sync accounts you may be referring to apply only the browser portion of the program (AFAIK) to keep passwords and bookmarks common across multiple systems.

First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close SeaMonkey and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
Mooreman

Post by Mooreman »

I may not be able to perform the above suggestions until this weekend. Will let you know how it works out.