Mail Under Profiles

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
troothteller

Mail Under Profiles

Post by troothteller »

I have the most current SeaMonkey suite under Windows 7 64-bit. After switching profiles from my most recently created profile I cannot send emails. The configuration under Mail Accounts is consistent with those that previously worked. Now that I switched back to my main profile, I can send and receive. Under a couple of profiles I can neither send nor receive. Why is this happening? I can find no discrepancy in settings.
DanRaisch

Re: Mail Under Profiles

Post by DanRaisch »

More information required. What is the full text of the error message you are getting in that most recently created profile when trying to send a message?
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

The messages time themselves out. I even had to change the settings in my main, default profile. Somehow while switching profiles fields in my mail accounts went blank. I had to change settings until I found a setup that worked. Now, two days since the last post, I noticed that I have two copies of my most recent email messages. I suspect that this switching among profiles may have caused some corruption. This morning I closed down SeaMonkey Mail hoping that will correct the problem upon reopening it.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I had the computer shut down for two days; and the problem of duplicate messages did not correct itself.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

SeaMonkey profiles are self-contained and don't share message files. Unless you changed settings that relate to the location of the message files, there would be nothing you could change that would mix data from one profile with another.

See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Duplicate_messages_received
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I did not change the settings until after I went back to my commonly used profile, after which I had to change settings to enable to me to send and receive messages. As I tried to explain, in some places the field for the server blanked out and I had to reenter it. Then I had to try different settings until I found a configuration that worked.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I do not know what happened since shutting down SeaMonkey Mail; but now that I reopened it, the messages I received today all have duplicates!
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

troothteller wrote:I do not know what happened since shutting down SeaMonkey Mail; but now that I reopened it, the messages I received today all have duplicates!
In times of Mozilla Suite I saw similar behavior. We had MS Exchange Server in company and admin have set accounts for use with it for all employees. Unfortunately, our chairman (company owner) liked to mess with his computers by himself... and have set another MozSu account but POP3 (parallel and together with Exchange type). Of course he didn't tell us about this but was complaining about duplication and later even multiplication of new messages. Removing POP3 account for Mozilla Suite profile helped and all multiplicated messages disappeared from Exchange Server.

Do you have some kind of web access to your e-mail account? Can you see duplicated messages there? Is your SeaMonkey profile only one with access to your e-mail account?
--
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Through my ISP I have two email addresses. Both have the messages duplicated. Through their homepage I have web access. Having logged in there is no duplication in either inbox.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:See this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Duplicate_messages_received
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

With the number of messages I have, I will have to delete and consolidate my messages before backing up the profile. Thanks.