11GB disk space leak

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
karenanne

11GB disk space leak

Post by karenanne »

I have been using seamonkey for some time. I decided to uninstall it, as it had some bug I couldn't suss out about displaying photos. Uninstall doesn't have the option to remove associated data, so then I did a search from C: for seamonkey. I found 11 GB of files named CACHE.TRASHfollowed by numbers. Good golly Miss Molly.
Last edited by karenanne on February 24th, 2017, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: 11GB memory leak

Post by DanRaisch »

Cache files are not a memory leak. They represent data saved on the local system to speed up performance by allowing access to material previously downloaded so it doesn't have to be downloaded again.
James

Post by James »

Memory leak is when a program is using lots of RAM, not hard drive space.

SeaMonkey moves the current cache folder to a cache trash folder if SeaMonkey hasn't updated the cache index files properly on the previous close down. You can remove the trash folder(s) if SeaMonkey hasn't done this automatically on a next start.
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

Yeah, not a memory leak, I apparently had a personal memory leak myself :-)

But 11GB!! What casual user like myself would even think that was happening behind the scenes.
Zerebralus

Post by Zerebralus »

otherwise :-) Facebook and Twitter are really causing memory leaks...
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

My take > Too many live feeds on Facebook and Tweeter otta' suck up Cache.... the 300 live feeds you have are likely cached in memory.... not written to disc
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

Zerebralus wrote:otherwise :-) Facebook and Twitter are really causing memory leaks...
Or someone posts a no information reply and other people get email notices and bring up browsers, assuming it adds information.
karenanne

Post by karenanne »

JayhawksRock wrote:My take > Too many live feeds on Facebook and Tweeter otta' suck up Cache.... the 300 live feeds you have are likely cached in memory.... not written to disc
These were written to the disk, as noted in a subsequent message. Many files, totaling GBs.
frg

Re: 11GB disk space leak

Post by frg »

> CACHE.TRASH

Trash files are usually only left when something did go wrong e.g. the browser crashed or the OS crashed while the browser was open. You usually can delete them.

2.48 will switch to cache2 which is a newer api and might perform better.

FRG