Malware software

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
jperson19468

Malware software

Post by jperson19468 »

When I download seaMonkey:
SeaMonkey Setup 2.46.exe for windows and try to install it I get the following message from my anti-versus program:

Auto-Protected blocked security risk
Heur.AdmvML.C.

Heuristic Filename: setup.exe
Threat name: Heur.AdvML.CFull Path: c:\users\jerome greene\appdata\local\temp\7zsd0c2.tmp\setup.exe

Threat type: Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics.

setup.exe Threat name: Heur.AdvML.C
James

Re: Malware software

Post by James »

Certainly not the first time the Norton antivirus clients has had false-positives or screwed with something in SeaMonkey on Windows.

You know Symantec is doing such a good job when they have been singled out in Release notes for a number of years now.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas ... onkey2.46/
Known Issues
Windows:
Norton/Symantec anti-virus scanners may report that some parts of SeaMonkey (e.g. the file freebl3.dll) are suspicious. If you downloaded SeaMonkey from one of the official download sites, this is a false alarm. You might experience problems with secure websites when this happens. To fix the issue, instruct your anti-virus software to ignore these files (and move them out of quarantine) and/or switch to another anti-virus software and reinstall SeaMonkey.
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

They have had false-positive issues with their aggressive heuristics going back to before Seamonkey was even a thing. I think they were already known for it in the Netscape 4 days.

You would think at some point they would fix their crap.
therube

Post by therube »

When I download SeaMonkey
From where?

You can verify the downloaded file's hash from here, http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.46/ (the *SUMS file).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
jperson19468

Post by jperson19468 »

jperson19468

Post by jperson19468 »

I just turned off anti-virus and installed seamonkey. No problems.

And yes I did turn on my anti-virus

Thank You all
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

jperson19468 wrote:When I download seaMonkey:
SeaMonkey Setup 2.46.exe for windows and try to install it I get the following message from my anti-versus program:

Auto-Protected blocked security risk
Heur.AdmvML.C.

Heuristic Filename: setup.exe
Threat name: Heur.AdvML.CFull Path: c:\users\jerome greene\appdata\local\temp\7zsd0c2.tmp\setup.exe

Threat type: Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics.

setup.exe Threat name: Heur.AdvML.C
I was fooling around with 2.48 and wanted to go back to 2.46. So I deleted 2.48 and when I tried to install 2.46 I got this error also. So I installed 2.40 with no problems. Than clicked check for updates and it upgraded to 2.46 with no problems. Makes no sense. Always good to keep older versions of software for this reason...