Failed move leaves duplicates of messages that succeeded

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
krilbe

Failed move leaves duplicates of messages that succeeded

Post by krilbe »

In SeaMonkey 2.49.2, when I try to move a large number of messages, I sometimes get a timeout (in particular for large messages via IMAP, see separate forum thread).

When this happens the messages that were successfully copied to the target folder are not removed from the source folder, producing duplicate messages. When doing this for folders with thousands of messages, it is very hard work to sort out which messages should be deleted from the source because they were successfully copied, before trying the move operation again.

I would like SeaMonkey to make sure successfully copied messages are removed from the source folder, or (as a less helpful alternative) that the successful copies are removede, so that no messages are duplicated. Some kind of transactional behavior, I guess.

Can I report this as a bug somewhere?
frg

Re: Failed move leaves duplicates of messages that succeeded

Post by frg »

> Can I report this as a bug somewhere?

You can always report a bug in bugzilla probably against the shared mailnews component. It would unfortunately probably not be worked on soon unless you have a reproducable scenario where you can provide step by step instructions and maybe even a log. Hard to track down now and then failures. I see something similar with feeds now and then where messages show up more than once.
krilbe

Re: Failed move leaves duplicates of messages that succeeded

Post by krilbe »

Alright. It's not an intermittent error. It happens every time a move failes halfway through, which can be consistently forced by including a message that's 20+ Mbyte in size.