frg

Re: Flash Player Messup

Post by frg »

Look fine here in 2.49.5. Should be no difference in official 2.49.4

https://imgur.com/a/OMXt3fV
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I see it there; but I have 2.49.2. In Safe Mode With Networking I saw it as I see it now in your provided link with images. SeaMonkey I could not test because it froze. I could not get off its home page. However, in full Windows, I do not see images at all, just the text describing the image and a placeholder for the image. In all my browsers, except for IE11, that Ask page looks the same. Contrary to my expectation, as this was the case before removing Flash Player, it still looks this way with or without Flash Player, whose previous update seemed to begin this messing up of my pages.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Since safe mode with networking works somewhat better, it could be your antivirus software interfering with browsers. First, make sure your antivirus is up to date. After that, assuming you do not want to uninstall it even temporarily (some are easy to take out and put in, some paid ones are not), I would start posting some screenshots of safe mode and non-safe mode on the support for your antivirus and see if they have a suggestion. If you know your antivirus will let you uninstall and reinstall easily then you could just do that first.

There is a setting in Firefox that allows your browser to be "man in the middle" snooped by antivirus and other corporate software, by importing the anti-virus softwares fake certificates. The same setting might exist in Seamonkey. In firefox it is:
security.enterprise_roots.enabled if set to true it imports the fake certificates, sometimes making the browser work when antivirus software is blocking it.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Under about:config, security.enterprise_roots.enabled is set to false. This antivirus issue makes things worse because my office store did not notify me back in July that my malware removal contract expired. The AV manufacturer refers its users back to the store.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, unless you're farting about with your UA not one of your posts is with
SeaMonkey.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:55.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/55.
or
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0

Which is it?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
lasardo

Post by lasardo »

Try setting security.enterprise_roots.enabled to true .
IMO, windows defender is good enough for most people. If you aren't getting good support for your antivirus software I might just uninstall it and turn on defender.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

The same things happen in all my browsers except IE11. I have Firefox 63.0.1. I just changed that value to "true;" however, I accidentally created a preference name "true" on a separate line. How do I delete it? I cannot highlight it to where a delete command works.
therube

Post by therube »

Create a new, clean Profile.
Open, https://hp.tb.ask.com/tbask/index.html.

Do the images appear?
If not, post a screenshot.

Then look to something external to your browser; hosts file, firewall, antivirus...

And stop talking about Flash.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

If somebody at the technical end did not tell me to remove Flash Player, then I would not have. In SeaMonkey I just changed that value for that preference name to "true." Before I change anything else I want to see what that does. Now that I created a clean profile and closed down my security suite, there is no change upon viewing in SeaMonkey https://hp.tb.ask.com/tbask/index.html.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Whoa Ho Ho! From a Firefox fix, I just solved this wishing I had not fooled around with Flash Player. Now that Flash Player is off, however, it can stay off. In some technical circles people know that SeaMonkey resulted from Mozilla Suite, but do not consider its support very robust. Anyway, in Firefox I switched under Options, Network Settings to "No Proxy." Similarly, in SeaMonkey I similarly changed my Preferences to "Connect Directly To The Internet." Now in both browsers we have the images. Thanks for the challenge. Now, I have to investigate how to manage this in my Chromium browsers, Chrome and Torch.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

troothteller wrote: Anyway, in Firefox I switched under Options, Network Settings to "No Proxy." Similarly, in SeaMonkey I similarly changed my Preferences to "Connect Directly To The Internet."
Switched from what, neither of those are the default settings here.
Are you using a Hosts file?
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I just stated what I did. In SeaMonkey was "Automatically Discover The Proxy Setting." Firefox had "Manual Proxy Configuration." I wouldn't know what to do with a Hosts file.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Uh-huh, so it's not a SeaMonkey bug but the result of you changing the setting from 'Use system proxy settings' (the default on all my 'moz. browsers, which never have 'flash messups')
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Which was in SeaMonkey for some reason not known to me because, in both browsers, I never went in there. Additionally, I had ads on these pages now that I did these resets. Now, if it was this easy to fix the Chromium browsers I would be through.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

troothteller wrote:Which was in SeaMonkey for some reason not known to me because, in both browsers, I never went in there.
  • Right now, (at the end, after three pages) according to you, SeaMonkey configures itself, and changes the preferences on its own.
    It's really amazing. Image

Stop talking nonsense, and teasing people. :evil:

Here, what happens, is a classic PEBKAC
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~