Websites.

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Websites.

Post by Frank Lion »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... d_websites

How can it be right that the default SeaMonkey, with its default UA string of Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2, doesn't even work correctly on the TWO most visited websites on the entire Internet?

The apparent devs view of 'Oh, I don't personally use that site and anyway their privacy is crap and anyway I glanced at it and it seemed to work OK and anyway we're really busy busy these days and anyway....' just doesn't cut it at all.

Point is, there has to be a point to things, otherwise what's the point? Being compatible with at least the top 10 websites on the Net, is a good place to start.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1748686 (ones for others sites to follow)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Re: Websites.

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... d_websites

How can it be right that the default SeaMonkey, with its default UA string of Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10.2, doesn't even work correctly on the TWO most visited websites on the entire Internet?

The apparent devs view of 'Oh, I don't personally use that site and anyway their privacy is crap and anyway I glanced at it and it seemed to work OK and anyway we're really busy busy these days and anyway....' just doesn't cut it at all.

Point is, there has to be a point to things, otherwise what's the point? Being compatible with at least the top 10 websites on the Net, is a good place to start.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1748686 (ones for others sites to follow)
Frank,

When it comes to useragent strings I'm one dumb SOB. So I have left it to you and others to advise me on "how to"

This is what I am now using and it appears to work better than others.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
frg

Post by frg »

> The apparent devs view of 'Oh, I don't perso...

The plan is to do something about it:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1737436

Probably my task unless IanN or someone else finds some time. But I am not on this world to make everyone happy by flushing my personal life down the toilet and programming 24x7 so it takes some time. But it is on the agenda.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:So I have left it to you and others to advise me on "how to"
I'm fine with that, but on a standard business principle of -

'Given a limited amount of time, let's prioritise tasks to give the greatest benefit to the greatest number of customers/users'

... then adding 5 or 6 more user prefs to a default prefs.js that already contains 100+ other prefs by default and by doing so benefit every single SeaMonkey user on the planet does seem a more effective use of time than, say, a Composer bug fix.

frg wrote: But I am not on this world to make everyone happy by flushing my personal life down the toilet and programming 24x7
Try not to take things so personally or dramatically. The SeaMonkey devs write that they want Bug Reports, so, for the first time in over 2 years, here's mine. That's all.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> then adding 5 or 6 more user prefs to a default prefs.js that already contains 100+

That is the problem. There is no easy way to add an override. Would need to be os specific (3 variants) and build (x86 x64 (4variants) also. But if accurate would need to add the version number too. The mentioned bug would allow this by adding placeholders. Just telling youtube that you use Windows 10 x64 under Linux or macOS might add another can of worms.

> Try not to take things so personally or dramatically.
I am not taking it personally but it is as stated. Not enough people around who do the doing. Which I find more sad than dramatic.

FRG
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

frg wrote:> then adding 5 or 6 more user prefs to a default prefs.js that already contains 100+

That is the problem. There is no easy way to add an override. Would need to be os specific (3 variants) and build (x86 x64 (4variants) also. But if accurate would need to add the version number too. The mentioned bug would allow this by adding placeholders. Just telling youtube that you use Windows 10 x64 under Linux or macOS might add another can of worms.

[....]

IMHO, something much simpler and easier can be done here.
    Add/Include, in the 'Release Notes' how to add the 'UserAgent Site Specific Overrides' for the sites, that are strictly necessary.
    And let the user do it himself (if he wants to, of course).

BTW, I would like to thank you, and all other members of the SeaMonkey Council, for all your excellent work to keep SeaMonkey 'alive & kicking' Image

Cheers!! Image
Last edited by ElTxolo on January 7th, 2022, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:> then adding 5 or 6 more user prefs to a default prefs.js that already contains 100+

That is the problem. There is no easy way to add an override.
Yeah, that came across more simplistic than I intended as, from theme stuff, I'm aware of variants. I was trying to get across the concept that in the scheme of adding features that this was easier to introduce than most.

Thoughts/questions -

Back in the day when I did 'replacement' themes (since 2014 I now do 'overlay' themes) I used to use chrome.manifest flags to point the OS/Version to the correct folder within the theme, that contained files with minor os/version fixes. Thus -

Code: Select all

/* yadda, yadda, above this.......*/

skin      global                example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/global/
skin      browser               example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/browser/
skin      mozapps               example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/mozapps/

skin      os_target             example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/os_target/xp/         os=WINNT osversion<6
skin      os_target             example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/os_target/linux/      os=Linux
skin      os_target             example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/os_target/aero/       os=WINNT osversion>=6
skin      os_target             example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/os_target/mac/        os=Darwin

skin      app_version           example   jar:chrome/example.jar!/app_version/18/
skin      app_version           example   jar:chrome/examplemac.jar!/app_version/19/    appversion>=19  
No idea if this concept is useful to you, but it could be a different way of looking at things.

I also wondered if this feature could be introduced as a default extension (which is how Firefox quickly added needed features in the 2004-2008 era)? Pity Patrick Dempsey is no longer around, as he was really good on extension stuff.

Something like that :)

ElTxolo wrote:IMHO, something much simpler and easier can be done here.
Add/Include, in the 'Release Notes' how to add...
....And let the user do it himself
Yeah, because relying on users reading Release Notes has always worked out so well in the past, eh?

But, sure, you can adopt a 'Let them eat cake!' attitude to users, but trying to fulfil the basic function of a web browser is a pretty important goal in its own right -
Function
The purpose of a web browser is to fetch content from the Web and display it on a user's device.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser#Function

Not going to be possible for every website, but aiming for proper compatibility with the top 50 most visited websites in the world seems like a 'good thing' for a web browser and a good goal to aim for.
frg

Post by frg »

I intend to port the stuff from Waterfox (unless someone beats me to it coders welcome). Json file which allows to fill in parameters for OS, architecture and possible other variables. Just need some peace and quiet to start but not task 99999 done only in neverland :)

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:I intend to port the stuff from Waterfox (unless someone beats me to it coders welcome). Json file which allows to fill in parameters for OS, architecture and possible other variables. Just need some peace and quiet to start but not task 99999 done only in neverland :)

FRG
FRG,

Above my paygrade, but if this will improve Seamonkey, go for it!

<g>

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome