Diappearance of vertical slider

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
bitwyse

Diappearance of vertical slider

Post by bitwyse »

[not necessarily a bug...]

A newspaper has released a new version of its site.
Since then, the window's (full-screen or not) vertical slider disappears after a short delay (2 or 3 seconds).
A new tab starts with the slider present.
Pg-Up/Dn and vertical arrows still scroll the screen.

I have disabled JavaScript (which is not allowed - in principal - to manipulate windows anyway) but it still happens.

In Firefox 52.9 this doesn't occur.

Any suggestions?
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
DOM Inspector, Cookies exterminator, RefControl, Form History Control, SQlite manager
Windows 11
DanRaisch

Re: Diappearance of vertical slider

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing happen if you launch the application in Mozilla Trouble Shooting Mode? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/di ... shoot-mode
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

Thanks Dan.

No, in safe mode it doen't happen.
(But the site displays in slow motion).
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
DOM Inspector, Cookies exterminator, RefControl, Form History Control, SQlite manager
Windows 11
rdtom

Post by rdtom »

Does a mouse over cause the slider to appear?
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

Nope - the only way to get it back is to refresh the page (or open a link in a new tab where it appears briefly).
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
Windows 11
frg

Post by frg »

> Any suggestions?

Upgrade to 2.53.11.1 and see of it occurs there.

FRG
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

Thanks for the suggestion, but can't do. I still use Windows XP...
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
Windows 11
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

Hello

I am answering my own post to close this thread.
Many of you have probably already realised that this is due to cookie management by Didomi.

If you don't repect their system the vertical slider is removed and a mask may cover the whole screen.
The only way I have found to block this behaviour in SeaMonkey is to use the Inspector to tamper with the source of the page directly.
I haven't succeded in automating this in Javascript.

In Firefox you can block the cookies popup with "uBlock Origin", then remove the mask and restore the slider with "Behind the Overlay revival".
These aren't available for SeaMonkey. Maybe an extensions expert could adapt them (it doesn't suffice to just change the supported version compatibility in the XPI install RDF).
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
Windows 11
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

You shouldn't be so quick to "close this thread"... if you like uBlock Origin, there is a functioning [SeaMonkey] version of said add-on available at

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy

... even though it hasn't seen a release in almost a year and a half, it is a key part of my SeaMonkey setup. :)
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

RDaneel wrote:You shouldn't be so quick to "close this thread"... if you like uBlock Origin, there is a functioning [SeaMonkey] version of said add-on available at
... even though it hasn't seen a release in almost a year and a half, it is a key part of my SeaMonkey setup. :)
Thanks Daneel. Nobody seemed to be interested: nobody confirmed the problem and none of the suggestions worked.
Since I had found the explanation (and a solution) I wanted to share it (for those who hadn't already understood).

I downloaded the legacy version of UBlock 1.16.4.30 (which mentions compatibilty with SeaMonkey):
"The module downloaded from an unknown server couldn't be installed becaus it seems to be corrupted"
(translated from the French).
(This one of the errors for version incompatible xpi.)

[Edit]
Perhaps it was compatible with earlier versions of SeaMonkey.

I tried to unzip it to check/change the navigator/version compatibilty but it is really corrupted. (Downloaded 3 times from different links - probably all pointing to the same file.)
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
Windows 11
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

bitwyse wrote:Nobody seemed to be interested: nobody confirmed the problem and none of the suggestions worked.
It's hard to confirm something on your newspaper website if you don't provide name/address. Besides, you're using outdated SeaMonkey 2.49.x (last compatible with WinXP). Very few such users nowadays.

If you have problem with uBlock Origin Legacy (which in theory should work with older SM) then try this direct link to XPI:

Code: Select all

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/releases/download/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.30/uBlock0_1.16.4.30.firefox-legacy.xpi
Don't open it, just save to disk and then in Add-ons Manager choose "install from file".

Correct hash for this XPI (SHA1):

7059c35ccd3a468d8d6595feedca4aeae381c0f5
--
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

It's hard to confirm something on your newspaper website if you don't provide name/address.
I didn't want confirmation for the specific website. I don't need confirmation: it happens.
I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced the same problem anywhere else.
Besides, you're using outdated SeaMonkey 2.49.x (last compatible with WinXP).
What makes you think that?
I am using the latest SeaMonkey 2.53 under Windows 11- look at my signature.
Very few such users nowadays.
Nonsense. As a computer technicien I see many installations. XP is still widely used. It is simply that very few users use SeaMonkey - not a single one of my clients.
I think that the people who choose SeaMonkey are generally capable of solving their problems themselves.
If you have problem with uBlock Origin Legacy (which in theory should work with older SM) then try this direct link to XPI:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/releases/download/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.30/uBlock0_1.16.4.30.firefox-legacy.xpi
Thank you. This is the same link that I downloaded it from, but doing it this way works in SeaMonkey - because it doesn't save the file permanently on disk despite SeaMonkey being parametered to do this. The problem seems to be in passing by a disk file.
However in Firefox it still gives the same error as before.
Don't open it, just save to disk and then in Add-ons Manager choose "install from file".
I don't use any "addons manager": I simply open the file.
I will open it outside SM to see what versions are supported.

--------------------
Unfortunately this is only half of the solution. It gets rid of the Didomi popups but I still need "Behind the Overlay" to get rid of their mask and restore the vertical slider.
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
Windows 11
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

bitwyse wrote: [....] I don't use any "addons manager": I simply open the file.

you must be the only guy who uses SeaMonkey, and does NOT have an Add-0ns Manager (Ctrl+Shift+A) or [ about:addons] available.

Last edited by DanRaisch on January 1st, 2023, 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Minor edit for language.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

bitwyse wrote:
Besides, you're using outdated SeaMonkey 2.49.x (last compatible with WinXP).
What makes you think that?
I am using the latest SeaMonkey 2.53 under Windows 11- look at my signature.
bitwyse wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, but can't do. I still use Windows XP...
The last version of SeaMonkey that works with Windows XP is 2.49.5....is why TPR75 thinks that.

Very few such users nowadays.
Nonsense. As a computer technicien I see many installations. XP is still widely used. It is simply that very few users use SeaMonkey - not a single one of my clients.
I think that the people who choose SeaMonkey are generally capable of solving their problems themselves.
Good, so go and solve your problem yourself and take your attitude with you.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
bitwyse

Post by bitwyse »

ElTxolo wrote:
bitwyse wrote: [....] I don't use any "addons manager": I simply open the file.
you must be the only guy who uses SeaMonkey, and does NOT have an Add-0ns Manager (Ctrl+Shift+A) or [ about:addons] available.
you must be the only guy who complicates life by using the addons page to install an extension.
Didn't you know that SeaMonkey knows what to do with a .xpi file if you simply open it?

[/list]
Last edited by DanRaisch on January 1st, 2023, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor edit for language.
SeaMonkey 2.53 (French)
Windows 11