Composer bug.

Discussion of bugs in Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Composer bug.

Post by Frank Lion »

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features
Composer

SeaMonkey's powerful yet simple HTML editor keeps getting better with dynamic image and table resizing, quick insert and delete of table cells, improved CSS support, and support for positioned layers. For all your documents and website projects, Composer is all you need.
All you need in an alternate reality maybe, but in this world, line numbers on Source View are pretty essential to anyone who has ever made a webpage.

*sigh* not holding my breath on this - the bug for it is only TWENTY ONE YEARS OLD! - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=99211

Edit - is Find on Source View bust as well?
Last edited by Frank Lion on July 10th, 2022, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Re: Composer bug.

Post by frg »

> All you need in an alternate reality maybe

The text is probably as old as the bug :)

Composer uses the editor code from toolkit. I don't think there is a line number option. So chances for a fix in this reality are slim.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:So chances for a fix in this reality are slim.
Unless Composer is really facehuggered into the code, how about just removing it and replacing it with Kompozer? That too is old, but nowhere near as old as Composer and, more importantly, it does actually work - https://kompozer.net/
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

> That too is old, but nowhere near as old as Composer and, more importantly, it does actually work

That has been suggested by ratty when he was still contributing. Someone needs to care and have enough time to do the work and I can't. Suspect IanN is also swamped. So status quo is it. As usual comes down the contributors or lack of.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Someone needs to care and have enough time to do the work and I can't. Suspect IanN is also swamped. So status quo is it.
Probably overkill for the 10 people who use Composer, but as a different way of looking at things - bundle Kompozer, like you do with Chatzilla and link to it with an internal version of the 'Open With' extension v. 6.8.6 and wreck out existing Composer.

People think that extension is for opening other browsers, but you can get it to open anything i.e. right click on YouTube and select Open With SMplayer or, in this case, any website and Open With Kompozer...and it does.

Btw Kompozer also supports 3rd party themes...I know this coz I made one for it years back.
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Frank Lion wrote:Unless Composer is really facehuggered into the code, how about just removing it and replacing it with Kompozer? That too is old, but nowhere near as old as Composer and, more importantly, it does actually work - https://kompozer.net/
As long as it's Linux compatible. I'm one of those 10 people that likes using Composer. :wink:

Actually, on my low resource Acer netbook, running a very light and responsive Linux OS, I use Composer as a word processor, too. Saves me from having to install more libraries than I really need, keeping my desktop lean and fast. And for the amount of word processing I ever do these days, installing something like LibreOffice (or similar) is kind of overkill, when Composer already has what I really need. But, I digress....
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.1)