MozillaZine

2.53.2 and vertical tabs

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
frg

Post Posted January 13th, 2020, 1:47 am

Bug 1607041 Extend tabbrowser to allow vertical display of tabs has been added to the latest SeaMonkey 2.53.2 build:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1607041

It is still a little work in progress and can not be set via preferences yet but we would like to test the waters if you see problems here. It is now possible to drag a tab to the left or right into the browser window and the tabstrip will follow.

We would also like to show the tabstrip as default even if only one tab is visible. This is just done by flipping a default pref in Prefrerences->Browser->Tabbed Browsing-> Hide the tab bar when only one tab is open. You can set this there if you prefer the old behaviour. Not yet changed. Probably this week.

Feedback welcome.

FRG

TPR75

Post Posted January 13th, 2020, 3:13 am

frg wrote:It is still a little work in progress and can not be set via preferences yet but we would like to test the waters if you see problems here. It is now possible to drag a tab to the left or right into the browser window and the tabstrip will follow.

Dragged it vertical and it was OK but when dragged it back to horizontal/classic then it looked "wrong":

Closing tabs and opening new didn't changed this strange view but after restart it was correct.

I hope drag-and-drop could be disabled in preferences.

frg

Post Posted January 13th, 2020, 3:27 am

> Closing tabs and opening new didn't changed this strange view but after restart it was correct.

Yes I can confirm it. I think I know why. Patch maintains two tab stacks. This needs to be merged.

> I hope drag-and-drop could be disabled in preferences.

Yes. Me too. I think there should be a preference for top/left/right and automatic (with dragging). Bottom too if possible. I usually prefer top and want it stay fixed. I suspect if you like them to the left or another position same here.

FRG

TPR75

Post Posted January 13th, 2020, 6:24 am

frg wrote:> Closing tabs and opening new didn't changed this strange view but after restart it was correct.

Yes I can confirm it. I think I know why. Patch maintains two tab stacks. This needs to be merged.

Forgot to write that "About:" tab was first but after drag-and-drop back to horizontal it is reverted (on above picture).

therube

Post Posted January 13th, 2020, 6:30 pm

when dragged it back to horizontal/classic then it looked "wrong"

Initial thought is that it is related to overflow.
(Or at least a tab size reduction [due to increased number of tabs] from its default size [browser.tabs.tooltippreview.width;300].)

But there's a bigger issue.

I seem to have gotten it stuck.
Horizontal to vertical back to horizontal & now the tab bar is ineffectual.

Only just started messing with this.
I wasn't clear on just what to do to get it to move.
then I got it, so moved it back & forth ...
restarted
changed theme from default to modern
restarted
opened a few tabs & sites
opened enough tabs to get an overflow ...

at first, once I figured out how to move the bar, I thought that's easy, then I thought, that's too easy & I certainly don't want to do it inadvertently
- is there a Pref to disable the action? if not, there should be.
& as I played around a little bit more, moving it became difficult, & I was like, "just what action am I needing to accomplish it"?
one time I ended up dragging a tab to the Bookmarks Toolbar, creating a link rather then moving the tab bar

Anyhow, at this point, tabs are dead.
Similarly, no demarcation between tabs (though that has been a general issue for a while now), but more so as not even the current tab is emphasized in any way (at least in my current stuck state).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.2
Build identifier: 20200112130005

Oh, I could open a new tab, & that works, but can't access any of the others - by clicking the tab bar.
(I can Ctrl+PageUP to flow through them, & Ctrl+W to close them.)

SeaMonkey tab bar unresponsive to mouse clicks:
https://i.postimg.cc/0kq8q5rK/Sea-Monke ... clicks.png

When vertical, the current tab is the same color as the tab bar background color, & when the bottom-most tab is active, it makes it appear that it is one huge tab (when there is enough empty space below it, & focus is in the window itself). (And yes, some CSS would take care of that, but if there were some default color differentiation, one wouldn't have to mess with CSS.)

hmm... preferences not being saved ... something of that nature, when tabs are in Vertical mode, it looks like...
have a few tabs open so that you're aware of what's going on
clear cache
move tabs to vertical
Edit | Preferences | Browser -> When restoring sessions and windows, change the (default) value from Restore 3 to Only restore tabs when I need them
Quit
restart
Result: all tabs load, in multiple of 3

move tabs to horizontal
repeat above steps
Result: your changed Pref persists, tabs are only restored on focus

set tabs vertical
drag a URL icon to the bookmarks toolbar (creating a shortcut)
right-click the icon, Preferences & edit its' properties (change the name, change the location)
observe
right-click the icon, Preferences & edit its' properties (change the name, change the location)
observe

Result: you will see some funky stuff going on, like maybe the first name change was accepted, but after clicking the link on the BM toolbar, it changes back, or something or the other, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2J0du36Hp0.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

frg

Post Posted January 14th, 2020, 3:26 am

Thqnks for the feedback. Took it out for todays release. bblack fixed the unresposnsive tab but accidental drag and drop needs to be addressed also.

Return to SeaMonkey Builds