The elephant in the room

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

The elephant in the room

Post by RDaneel »

(not sure how this translates, but it refers to a subject that is in plain sight, but is being not talked about...)

Not a big deal, but my preferred theme in SM went away a couple of days ago: I think it was called "Modern", but now it looks quite different and is called "SeaMonkey Default Theme".

Running Builds by Bill(tm) for Windows 11 x64.

It is sort of pale and lacking contrast, but if Modern had to go, I suppose that is the way it is. ;)
TPR75

Re: The elephant in the room

Post by TPR75 »

RDaneel wrote:Not a big deal, but my preferred theme in SM went away a couple of days ago: I think it was called "Modern", but now it looks quite different and is called "SeaMonkey Default Theme".
Works correct for me with latest "pre-beta":
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... -comm-253/

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 22H2. If it's not related to Win11 (but it shouldn't) then check your extensions or create new profile (just fo test).
--
hardys

Post by hardys »

I had a similar problem with the build 20230521210005 from 05/21 but it is fixed with the new build from today

Modern theme is back and working and the preview in the Windows taskbar is also working again
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

That *is* odd... yes, mine started showing the "Default" theme instead of "modern" a couple of builds ago, and I waited to see if it reverted before mentioning anything.

But, here I am on "20230522210005", and still for sure not back to "Modern".

Something I hadn't mentioned - there *is* no other choice of [built-in] theme now [for me] - just "Default".

I am sure I will get used to this one - there have been a number of different looks, since the earliest test versions of what was called "Mozilla" at the time showed up 20+ years ago. :)

But I do miss "Mostly Crystal" by CatThief from the old days. :wink:
frg

Post by frg »

Modern is still there and you should be able to pick it up from the add-on Manager themes. One build from 05/20 had a problem but that is it. If something different then your add-on database might be corrupted. Try in a new test profile.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Thanks, f-r... you know me, I hate building new profiles, even for testing - if it works, then I am faced with the prospect of performing major surgery to transplant most of my [REALLY] old profile into the new one. :|

OTOH, I see 2 other possibilities:

1) I could look in my profile where the "pointer" to the themes in the add-on database, if you pointed out where it is, and see if anything looks wrong

2) as you say, Modern is certainly still there in the extensions folder (from the installation, not my profile), and I could presumably do an "install from file" with it - or is it not in a form suitable for installing from?
frg

Post by frg »

Well just opening the xpi should install and might fix it.
therube

Post by therube »

my preferred theme in SM went away a couple of days ago: I think it was called "Modern"
So you've not (specifically) added any third party theme?
If not, then Classic & Modern are all that there are (built-in).

Are you running SeaMonkey in Safe Mode?
Safe Mode would disable themes (even the built-in Modern theme, reverting to Classic).
Something I hadn't mentioned - there *is* no other choice of [built-in] theme now [for me] - just "Default".
So, View | Apply Theme ->, (now) only shows, "SeaMonkey Default Theme" - no mention of "Modern"?
If so, that is strange (as it would still show both, even in Safe Mode).

Any recent changes in extensions?
Last edited by therube on May 23rd, 2023, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Indeed it did - the "modern@themes.mozilla.org.xpi" XPI file was just sitting there in the extensions folder, looking all installable (the RDF etc looked like they should), but I thought I would ask before installing it - you mentioned a "add-on database" being possibly corrupted...

But, yes, straight "Install from file" worked great, with the usual "your old theme is disabled, your new theme will take over when you restart" messages. :)

Cool, back to the "all gray, all the time" look instead of the "too much white with occasional splotches of color" look. ;)

Thanks, f-r.

EDIT: And thanks also, therube - I fixed this as my post describes, then saw your reply. I am not making this up - my old "Modern" theme disappeared from the list of installed themes, I was forcibly switched over to "Default", and I had done nothing with themes at all. I do full uninstalls of SM for every new build I see from Bill, and then fresh installs with those... with my profile, of course, going along for the ride.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RDaneel wrote:But I do miss "Mostly Crystal" by CatThief from the old days. :wink:
Thanks for the reminder, I used to use Cat's Mostly Crystal prior to when I started making themes back in 2006.

As Cat is MIA these days (we were good friends when she used to be around) I'll try to get in touch with her, with a view to me bringing it back for SM. Prior to 2014, that would have been an enormous job, but I use a different method to make themes since then, so it take about 5% of the time it would have done.

Long term project, but the old theme .jar has the images and the -moz-image-region calculation code for showing the image states (active, disabled, etc) is already done, so it's very doable.

I'd like to see it back and it would be a nice easy project to do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Frank Lion wrote:
RDaneel wrote:But I do miss "Mostly Crystal" by CatThief from the old days. :wink:
Thanks for the reminder, I used to use Cat's Mostly Crystal prior to when I started making themes back in 2006.
    The truth, a much missed theme (with an excellent design, and awesome Crystal icons by Everaldo Coelho)

One of my all-time favorite themes, together with Venerable Modern.
Frank Lion wrote: [....] As Cat is MIA these days (we were good friends when she used to be around) I'll try to get in touch with her, with a view to me bringing it back for SM. Prior to 2014, that would have been an enormous job, but I use a different method to make themes since then, so it take about 5% of the time it would have done.

Long term project, but the old theme .jar has the images and the -moz-image-region calculation code for showing the image states (active, disabled, etc) is already done, so it's very doable.

I'd like to see it back and it would be a nice easy project to do.
  • Frank, if you can update and resurrect Mostly Crystal, many users will be eternally grateful. Image

Cheers !! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

ElTxolo wrote: May 24th, 2023, 7:08 am
  • Frank, if you can update and resurrect Mostly Crystal, many users will be eternally grateful. Image

Cheers !! Image
Absolutely. It was my favourite SM theme back in the day.

Although ISTR it was effectively discontinued, and the author didn't want anyone resuming development or support for it.
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

DJGM wrote: August 12th, 2023, 6:30 am
ElTxolo wrote: May 24th, 2023, 7:08 am
Frank, if you can update and resurrect Mostly Crystal, many users will be eternally grateful. Image

Cheers !! Image
Absolutely. It was my favourite SM theme back in the day.
[....]

I can assure, that the amazing work done by Mr. Frank Lion, in the update/resurrection of the old Mostly Crystal theme is simply magnificent.

- As you can see in the following screenshots:

Mostly Crystal Two 2.0.23 (full screen 1920x1080)

The images are from GNU/Linux. Using OpenBox, as window manager, in SparkyLinux 8 (debian testing - trixie/sid):

- Another examples, using Fluxbox, as window manager, in SparkyLinux 8:

Mostly Crystal Two 2.0.23 (full screen 1920x1080)

Cheers !! Image
Last edited by ElTxolo on August 20th, 2023, 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
DJGM

Post by DJGM »

Looks as good as I remember, even more so in Dark mode. Is there any download link available?
-----------------------------
SeaMonkey is like a Swiss Army knife: Versatile and dependable, with many useful tools.
Internet Explorer is like really, really, very old Swiss cheese: Full of holes, and it stinks!
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

DJGM wrote: August 15th, 2023, 1:00 pm Looks as good as I remember, even more so in Dark mode.
[....]
Does not have 'dark mode' option. This is the OS (e17gtk-revolved [GTK2/3]) theme I am using in SparkyLinux 8.
DJGM wrote: August 15th, 2023, 1:00 pm [....] Is there any download link available?
In this case you should talk/contact the author of the 'Mostly Crystal' theme update, Frank Lion

Cheers !! Image

~