Bookmarks Toolbar Item?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
BenoitRen

Re: Bookmarks Toolbar Item?

Post by BenoitRen »

You don't have to hack your theme. userChrome.css is a file in your profile's chrome folder.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Last edited by rsx11m on January 28th, 2009, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoRd_MuldeR

Post by LoRd_MuldeR »

Ah! That fixed it =D>
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Philip Chee wrote:
LoRd_MuldeR wrote:Oh. That feature is pretty cool 8-)

However the "Bookmarks" toolbar seems to be one solid item, which includes the "Bookmarks Toolbar Item" thing.
So I can only move or remove the "Bookmars" toolbar as a whole, but I can't remove that useless and pretty big "Bookmarks Toolbar Item" from it.
Is that planned?

Ah, it's a problem with your theme (Mostly Crystal?) which hasn't caught up with the changes yet (that bit it should be invisible until it's put into the palette). Since the "bookmarks toolbar item" code (and much of the rest of customizable toolbars) is copied straight out of Firefox 2/3 and CatThief has versions of Mostly Crystal for Firefox, it should be a no-brainer for her to fix this. She should also have all the necessary graphics for the new small icon sizes from the Firefox/Thunderbird versions.

Phil

I'm sorry that this had caused problems. I haven't had the time to fix the "Bookmarks Toolbar Item" thing yet. (Maybe later tonight.) I also need to include a toolbar button for the JavaScript Debugger and also buttons for a few other extensions.

Regarding the new small icon sizes, I'm not planning to incorporate that into the theme for SeaMonkey. Details are at my FAQ page.

IMPORTANT: Although SeaMonkey has now incorporated the option to select between large and small toolbar icons, this theme will continue to have only one size. If "Use small icons" is selected under the "Settings for this toolbar" menu, there will be no change, nor will there be a change if "Show text beside icon" is selected.

----------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I just updated the theme to include several fixes. Personally I prefer the Bookmarks label next to the icon when in "Icons" mode and have not yet decided whether to make it the default. In the meantime, if the label is prefered, this userChrome option can be applied:

Code: Select all

toolbar[mode="icons"] #bookmarks-button > .toolbarbutton-text {
  display: -moz-box !important;
}

The same can be applied to the Home button when it is placed onto the Bookmarks Toolbar:

#PersonalToolbar[mode="icons"] #home-button > .toolbarbutton-text {
  display: -moz-box !important;
}

Some of the code needs to be tightened up, but at least everything seems to be working at this point.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Okay, this isn't good. <grin> I just installed the latest version of Mostly Crystal, and now my Reload and Stop buttons, as well as the URL bar, are higher than they should be. Also, I'm using the rounded theme for the URL bar, and it's only rounding the right-hand side. Here's a screenshot of the mess:

And here's what I'm currently using in my userChrome.css:

@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/throbber-circular.css");
@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/gradient-silver-1920.css");
@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/rounded-lg.css");

#context setWallpaper {display: none !important}
#feedsButton {display: none !important}

toolbargrippy {display: none !important}

.tabs-newbutton {top: 0px !important}
.tabs-closebutton-box {top: 0px !important}

tabs>tab
 {
    -moz-border-radius: 9px !important;
    margin-left: 2px !important;
    margin-right: 2px !important;
    width: 180px !important;
 }

tabs>stack>vbox>hbox>hbox
 {
  display: block !important;
  overflow: visible !important;
 }

Alternatively, if this isn't a quick fix, is it possible to download an older version of Mostly Crystal? (I'm not actually affected by the bug in this thread that the latest fixed - I just thought I'd update to the latest anyway. I guess I shouldn't have. I don't have a back up of the older version...)

Oh, I'm using a 1/29 build of SeaMonkey.

Incidentally - if I go to just icons everything is spaced vertically correctly. However, the problem with the left-hand side of the URL bar being square, rather than rounded, remains.
(I actually joined in 2002 and made 6,093 posts, now shown under "old jasonb", before the site tried to kill me off...)
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

jasonb, please understand that the theme for 2.0 is a work in progress. "Mess"? Gosh, it isn't that bad, is it?

With that said, today I discovered that I needed to adjust the values for margin-top and margin-bottom in order to prevent the change in height of the navigation toolbar when switching between the "default" and the option for the "rounded" location bar. Using the "rounded-lg" option needed no adjustment. I'm not sure what you mean by "Reload and Stop buttons, as well as the URL bar, are higher than they should be" since the positioning is an exact match with the screenshots at my site for the SeaMonkey 1.1 theme.

I also fixed a bug where the Personal Toolbar would increase in height by 2px when switching between "Icons" and "Icons and Text" mode.

Regarding "the problem with the left-hand side of the URL bar being square", this change is deliberate. Many months ago I applied the same changes that were applied to the theme for Firefox. The background color of the favicon area will reflect the security level (normal v. SSL v. broken) rather than the background color of the entire location bar's text field. The version of the theme you were using must have been *very* old. :D
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

CatThief wrote:please understand that the theme for 2.0 is a work in progress. "Mess"? Gosh, it isn't that bad, is it?

My apologies if my tone of voice in saying that came across the wrong way. Plus - I totally messed up. The screenshot I'd originally had was with just the icons - not the icons and text that actually show the vertical alignment issue. I've updated the screenshot from my original post above.

I know that this is all totally unsupported at the moment - and I'm quite happy experimenting with such things. I actually discovered, by accident, that I like it better with just the icons. Not just because without the text the problem goes away. Anyway, take a look at the corrected screenshot above to see what I'd actually been trying to explain and had stupidly messed up.

CatThief wrote:Regarding "the problem with the left-hand side of the URL bar being square", this change is deliberate...The version of the theme you were using must have been *very* old.

Aha! Okay, I'll take that as a feature then and not a bug. LOL

Update: I hope you don't mind, but, knowing that this wasn't a bug, I "hacked' your images for my own use so that the left-hand side of the URL bar is round again (I just flipped the right-hand icon horizontally and added another 2 pixels of space at the right). I then made the different colours appear as circles surrounding the globe icon, rather than having it cut off square at the right:

(I actually joined in 2002 and made 6,093 posts, now shown under "old jasonb", before the site tried to kill me off...)
therube

Post by therube »

I've updated the screenshot from my original post above.

I'm glad you did. Had me confused as to what you were seeing ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

jasonb -

Ol' Cat has a method to her method here (I think)... while some favicons could look fine with a circular background, not all would - especially if they were more "square" than "round". ;)

And I also noticed the background-color-just-for-the-favicon change (back when it happened)... and it has grown on me to the point where I think the other themes should adopt it also.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

@jasonb
I just looked at your updated screenshot and I must say that the issue is quite disconcerting. I also checked this with a test profile where absolutely nothing is installed except my theme, not even a userChrome file. Then a bit of experimenting uncovered what is causing this to go awry... if I remove the Go and Search buttons from the toolbar, *poof* it all gets moved about just like your screenshot illustrates.

This is going to take some thought. If I remove the location bar, the issue goes away. It seems to be related to the nav-bar-inner where oddly enough both the Go and Search buttons reside along with the location bar. I would very much appreciate your patience while I get to the root of the problem. :) I'll post back when the issue is resolved.

Meanwhile, feel free to hack away. userChrome would be the best way to go since I routinely update this theme several times a week.

@RDaneel
:wink:
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

CatThief wrote:@jasonb
I just looked at your updated screenshot and I must say that the issue is quite disconcerting. I also checked this with a test profile where absolutely nothing is installed except my theme, not even a userChrome file. Then a bit of experimenting uncovered what is causing this to go awry... if I remove the Go and Search buttons from the toolbar, *poof* it all gets moved about just like your screenshot illustrates.

This is going to take some thought. If I remove the location bar, the issue goes away. It seems to be related to the nav-bar-inner where oddly enough both the Go and Search buttons reside along with the location bar. I would very much appreciate your patience while I get to the root of the problem. :) I'll post back when the issue is resolved.

Hi CatThief,

As I'm the person responsible for implementing customizable toolbars in SeaMonkey, I would like to know if this is an issue that would affect other theme authors as well?

Phil
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

CatThief wrote:FIXED :D

Excellent! That works like a charm.

RDaneel wrote:Ol' Cat has a method to her method here (I think)... while some favicons could look fine with a circular background, not all would - especially if they were more "square" than "round". ;)

Ah. But I hate favicons and always disable them, so that doesn't apply to me. <grin>

CatThief wrote:userChrome would be the best way to go since I routinely update this theme several times a week.

I'm not quite sure what userChrome entry I would use to have the theme point to my custom graphic outside of the .jar file. For example, the use of the "leftcap-lg.png" icon. What would I use in userChrome to tell it to use my own version rather than yours (instead of just replacing yours in the archive directly)?
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

jasonb-

Not to nitpick... ;)

... but in addition, by rounding the left end of the location bar [in MostlyCrystal], you have reduced the "colored" background area enough that the security status indication has now become rather subtle (read: "potentially difficult to make out").
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

jasonb wrote:
CatThief wrote:userChrome would be the best way to go since I routinely update this theme several times a week.

I'm not quite sure what userChrome entry I would use to have the theme point to my custom graphic outside of the .jar file. For example, the use of the "leftcap-lg.png" icon. What would I use in userChrome to tell it to use my own version rather than yours (instead of just replacing yours in the archive directly)?

Just take a look inside global/subskin/rounded.css (or rounded-lg.css) and place your changes inside userChrome.css. Place your own images inside your profile's chrome directory, then make the necessary adjustments to the url. Example:

Change this...

#urlbar > .autocomplete-textbox-container {
  background-image: url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/rounded/leftcap.png") !important;
  background-position: left center !important;
  background-repeat: no-repeat !important;
}

To this...

#urlbar > .autocomplete-textbox-container {
  background-image: url("leftcap.png") !important;
  background-position: left center !important;
  background-repeat: no-repeat !important;
}

Any other adjustments can be made as well. You can still use the @import entry for the theme's file, but whatever changes you place inside userChrome.css will take priority.

RDaneel wrote:jasonb-

Not to nitpick... ;)

... but in addition, by rounding the left end of the location bar [in MostlyCrystal], you have reduced the "colored" background area enough that the security status indication has now become rather subtle (read: "potentially difficult to make out").

I suppose it could even be disabled altogether, as long as one pays close attention to the security-button inside the statusbar.