SeaMonkey 2.4 builds - totally confused

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
CatThief

SeaMonkey 2.4 builds - totally confused

Post by CatThief »

I currently have 2.4a2 that is updating from aurora channel and it now wants to update to 2.5a2. Did I miss something? I can't find a 2.4 release on the beta channel and am wondering... is 2.4 being skipped and replaced with 2.5?
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
ElTxolo

Re: SeaMonkey 2.4 builds - totally confused

Post by ElTxolo »

CatThief wrote:I currently have 2.4a2 that is updating from aurora channel and it now wants to update to 2.5a2. Did I miss something? I can't find a 2.4 release on the beta channel and am wondering... is 2.4 being skipped and replaced with 2.5?

I don't think so.
SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings wrote:[...] Callek will spin 2.4b1 along with Firefox 7.0b2. We are not sure yet when they'll make the GO for that [...]

See: SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2011-08-23: Further 2.x scheduling

Cheers! 8-)
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Odd, though, that if I change the "app.update.channel" to "beta" inside channel-prefs.js SeaMonkey still wants to grab 2.5a2.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Callek wrote:Aurora channel will always be <train-major-version>a2 so even though we don't yet have 2.4 beta (or even final) that is correct to see 2.5a2 now. Trunk is 2.6a1

As far as manually changing your channel, first off the pref in about:config doesn't change anything (desiredChannel would, but we have not [and likely never will] generate any updates for channel switching, since the official support in Mozilla is dead anyway). If you want to switch to a different channel you can always mark "beta" as the channel in your install dir; though it would still not find *any* updates for you if you did that, unless you are also running one of the builds we shipped a beta with, as our build system generates updates based on the list of builds+buildIDs we have previously shipped.

I hope this helps because I don't understand anything Callek just told me.

Phil
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Thanks, Philip. It helps a little, but it is a bit different from the way Firefox and Thunderbird are handling updates. I'll just wait until a download of an "official release beta" is available and not use the program's updater unless I want an aurora or nightly build. I need 2.4 in preparation for updating my theme for that version.