< x86_64-apple-darwin*)
---
> *-apple-darwin*)
8631,8633d8630
< powerpc-apple-darwin*)
< FIXED_EGREP="egrep"
< ;;

cd js/src

diff jsscript.h jsscript.h--original > jsscript.h--diff don't really care if we line up on a 64bit word boundary do we ?

823,825c823
< /*
< ** JS_STATIC_ASSERT(sizeof(JSScript) % js::gc::Cell::CellSize == 0);
< */
---
> JS_STATIC_ASSERT(sizeof(JSScript) % js::gc::Cell::CellSize == 0);

cd assembler/jit

diff ExecutableAllocator.h ExecutableAllocator.h--original > ExecutableAllocator.h--diff

439,442d438
< #elif WTF_CPU_PPC
< static void cacheFlush(void* code, size_t size)
< {
< }

seems to run just fine for my purposes

i notice a lot of warnings during the compiles - is it the older compiler i'm using or does the seamonkey group just not demand a clean compile for a released product ?
Philip Chee

Re: 4 files changes and I'm running on a G4 PPC OS X 10.5.8

Post by Philip Chee »

Can you please use the unified diff syntax, please? e.g. diff -u8p

Phil
ClassicHasClass

Post by ClassicHasClass »

don't really care if we line up on a 64bit word boundary do we ?

Actually, you do. Commenting out the static assert on CellSize is a very bad idea; you run the risk of intermittent crashes in the garbage collector if something doesn't align correctly in memory. This is solved in TenFourFox by padding the JSScript object out to the proper size.

Also, for cache flush, you can simply use sys_icache_invalidate(), though without a JIT that function is probably rarely if ever actually called.
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

you're absolutely correct, seemed to work fine for the time being and that's all i was trying for initially

took another look at it while building 2.6.1

jsscript.h

< #else
< #if JS_BITS_PER_WORD == 32
< #define JS_SCRIPT_INLINE_DATA_LIMIT 2
< uint8 inlineData[JS_SCRIPT_INLINE_DATA_LIMIT];
< #endif

it gets past the CellSize static assert now

now if only the README procedures would work as advertised in pulling source from the repository

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... 6.1/README
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

ps

I believe the JIT is being built - in past builds I had to disable JIT to get the compile to go through but they made changes to those makes and they no longer come up as a roadblock to my build attempts

again i'm not all that up on the internals, just doing what I can to get the build to work for my PPC Mac
Michael Graubart

Post by Michael Graubart »

Hikebiker, I was the one who started the hare running about very slow scrolling in Seamonkey 2.0.15pre. Phoenix <pppx@i.com.ua> has suggested in the Seamonkey bugs reports that you might have or know about a build that could improve matters and that I could obtain. The limitation is that my computer is a G4 (PPC) and my OS is 10.4.11. (I have not updated my OS because I have a great deal of expensive software that would also have to be updated, and my whole library of musical scores [in Finale] and papers, articles and reviews made in that ancient but still excellent application, AppleWorks, would be at risk of no longer being accessible. I'm a bit trapped in that way.)

If you (or anyone else, for that matter) have or know about a build of Seamonkey that would improve scrolling and would work on a PPC G4 with OS 10.4.11, I should be very grateful indeed to hear about it.
Michael Graubart
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

I'm running 10.5.8 on my G4 so I can't even try to build a 10.4 SeaMonkey.

Have you tried 10-4-Fox ro si SeaMonkey a must ( personally i hate FireFox ) ? http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

I could try uploading my 10.5 compatible build of SeaMonkey to some archive site and you can retrieve it from there and give it a try as it might run just fine but then I wonder if I'd be violating some GNU or other license by doing so ??????

Also have you tried building from the tarball for yourself ? It's not that difficult to kick off a build but depending on your knowledge of coding/building you may have problems working around issues with getting the compile through to completion. I wouldnt mind helping you through the process if you decide to try but no guarantees on how quick i'll be in responding to questions or my ability to analyze your issues.

If you decide to go this route you'll have to install MacPorts and continue from there. https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Develo ... requisites
Michael Graubart

I also don't like Firefox, and I really do like the integration of browser and mail in Seamonkey. I'm afraid, though, that I am not capable of programming at all. I am a musician and writer, In my misspent youth I was a physicist, but as far as computers and software are concerned I am really just a user.
Michael Graubart
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

Well if you do the legwork to ensure that I wont be violating any licensing issues I could always upload my PPC 10.5 version and you can give it a whirl.
Michael Graubart

I am pretty sure that it is the user who would be violating the licensing issues if any, so if you were kind enough to upload it for a brief time so that I could download it and try, you could then remove it again. Or, perhaps still better, could you just send it as an attachment to my e-mail address, which is <michael.graubart@btinternet.com>? That way it would never appear in public at all.
Michael Graubart
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

Will do

SeaMonkey.app.zip is the filename and it's 25MB - I'm sending it from an obviously named yahoo email account - hope it can go through otherwise we can try a file transfer
Michael Graubart

It arrived before the forum's Topic Reply announcement! Thank you very much indeed. I shall now try it and report back.
Michael Graubart
ClassicHasClass

Post by ClassicHasClass »

hikerbiker wrote:ps

I believe the JIT is being built - in past builds I had to disable JIT to get the compile to go through but they made changes to those makes and they no longer come up as a roadblock to my build attempts

again i'm not all that up on the internals, just doing what I can to get the build to work for my PPC Mac

There is no JIT for PPC in the tree (bug 624164 is about getting a tracer in, but tracejit is going away, so that is essentially a wontfix; we do have a methodjit for PowerPC but there are still some outstanding bugs to fix before I submit it back to Mozilla, and even then it is just to get it in the tree, not as a buildable configuration). The issues you're seeing are because Mozilla doesn't really test builds with the JIT disabled in the configuration settings; they don't ship any tier-1 in that manner.

Michael, hikerbiker's 10.5 SeaMonkey won't work on 10.4 because the 10.5 code links to functions that do not exist in 10.4. In TenFourFox we get around this with alternate code or sometimes simply disabling the feature. I am not aware of anyone using the TenFourFox patches to build a SeaMonkey, but I would be happy to promote anyone who is. I don't have plans to do this myself, though; it's hard enough just keeping up with Firefox these days.
Michael Graubart

I can confirm that HB's SM doesn't work on OS 10.4.11: he sent me a copy and I tried it. But I did download TenFourFox, and it seems really excellent. The sad thing is that I really love the integration of browser and mail in SeaMonkey, so I hope someone will come up with a good build that will work in OS 10.4.11.

My problem about updating my OS is the large amount of expensive software that I would have to update as well, and the danger that my library of the Finale music scores of my compositions, and my archive of articles, papers and reviews created in that ancient but excellent warhorse, AppleWorks, would no longer be accessible if I did update my software.
Michael Graubart