So what happened to the JS code ?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
hikerbiker

So what happened to the JS code ?

Post by hikerbiker »

I successfully built PPC versions of 2.5 and 2.6.1 but 2.7 a no go

Is PCRE going away ? Seems that's where the mess is - missing files etc

From what i've read PCRE is a faster interpreter than the YARR interpreter.

So what's the deal with the missing file ? jslt.h for starters - is this going to be made self consistent anytime soon so that at the very least it can be compiled ?

Thanks
Philip Chee

Re: So what happened to the JS code ?

Post by Philip Chee »

hikerbiker wrote:I successfully built PPC versions of 2.5 and 2.6.1 but 2.7 a no go

Is PCRE going away ? Seems that's where the mess is - missing files etc

From what i've read PCRE is a faster interpreter than the YARR interpreter.

So what's the deal with the missing file ? jslt.h for starters - is this going to be made self consistent anytime soon so that at the very least it can be compiled ?

Thanks

Don't know but at the very least you'd need to look at the set of patches TenFourFox is using to get Firefox 10 to compile.

Phil
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

My point is no patches were necessary for prior builds and that code runs fine - why release code that wont compile is the issue here. Don't release a build that won't compile and if it's a work in progress then leave the old working code be until the new code is ready for prime time. Seriously !
ClassicHasClass

Post by ClassicHasClass »

hikerbiker, look at

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=691898

Mozilla doesn't test non-JIT builds very well. We get around this in TenFourFox by actually having a JIT.
hikerbiker

Post by hikerbiker »

Yes your having the JIT and associated PPC HW support is the best ultimate solution, no doubt.

2.6.1 was built with PCRE - so why the migration away from PCRE and to YARR even with the performance hit you describe ? Thanks for filling in some of the 'history' here.