Anyone tried a Repair Folder on their Inbox in 2.13.1?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

Anyone tried a Repair Folder on their Inbox in 2.13.1?

Post by RDaneel »

I did, and was left with an unstartable SM 2.13.1.

I don't even think anything was necessarily wrong with my Inbox's MSF - I just noticed an oddity with threading, and thought to try the Repair to see if that would change the behavior.

But the crash happened as the Repair started, and it left a bad MSF - so at each restart, SM tries to do the Repair itself... you get the picture.

I have tucked away the new Inbox, and restored both the Inbox and matching MSF from 2 days ago - which of course works fine.

Anyone else seeing this? Again, this is with 2.13.1 - the release version, on Win 7 x64.
RDaneel

Re: Anyone tried a Repair Folder on their Inbox in 2.13.1?

Post by RDaneel »

Odd that there haven't been any replies on this... but this is a "hard" failure.

Any attempt to invoke the "rebuild MSF" functionality, either by right-clicking on the Inbox from within the email client and requesting Repair, or by simply removing the MSF and attempting to start SM 2.13.1 leads to the crash.

I guess opening a bug (after first searching, of course :)) will need to happen. I can start installing older versions to see where this starts, although that could take a while - I haven't even tried a "Repair Folder" for quite some time... probably since just after the nasty mbox-file-corruption troubles a ways back.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

OK - I tried 2.13.1, 2.13, 2.12.1, 2.12, and 2.11.

Until I get back to 2.11, NONE of the released versions of SM (on Windows, anyway) are able to do a "rebuild MSF" on my Inbox without instantly crashing.

This is somewhat ugly, since once you get the crash, you CAN save the Inbox itself... and use that to diff against your most recent backup version, and then edit the newer emails directly into the Inbox mbox file itself - BUT you won't be able to rebuild the MSF!

So any reconstruction to include your "missing" emails will have to wait until this bug is fixed. :(

Off to search Bugzilla and [presumably] file a bug.

EDIT: submitted as https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=801458
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

No crash here when repairing my POP3 inbox containing 5976 messages.
But then again, I may be wrong.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Hi Andy - I didn't think you ran your normal SM on Windows (I might not be recalling this correctly)?

Also, the version ID line in your message is not 2.13.x (or 2.12.x).

While it might be nice to think that this problem is fixed / nonexistent in 2.16, that is quite ways out before reaching release status... :|
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

No problems here either, I've tried to reproduce with 2.13.1 on Windows 7 and Linux without "success" (for both IMAP and local folders), the folder repairs proceeded without incidence.

Judging from your crash reports filed, it runs into problems while parsing a string, thus there maybe something odd in either your mailbox or .msf file which causes some syntax issue not being handled correctly (crashing in nsParseMailbox.cpp).
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Thanks for the comment - of these 2 possibilities, it would need to be the mbox file - since this happens also with NO MSF file.
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

I use Win 7 on my work computer. Until last December I was running Ubuntu at home, but I didn't like the Unity desktop, so I switched to Win 7 there, too.

I've used the trunk nightly builds for years, so I was just meaning to say that the problem no longer seems to exist. Might be worth installing a 2.14 nightly to see whether the problem exists there or not. I'm not suggesting that you use a nightly build, but just to test. Personally I find the trunk nightlies stable enough for regular use.
But then again, I may be wrong.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Yes, I always was a "use the nightlies" kind of guy too - until the "rapid release" thing.

Then I switched to using betas - and to live a little more dangerously, I take them from the "candidates" set. :)

This problem is starting to look data-dependent (said data being my Inbox).
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

RDaneel wrote:OK - I tried 2.13.1, 2.13, 2.12.1, 2.12, and 2.11.

Until I get back to 2.11, NONE of the released versions of SM (on Windows, anyway) are able to do a "rebuild MSF" on my Inbox without instantly crashing.

This is somewhat ugly, since once you get the crash, you CAN save the Inbox itself... and use that to diff against your most recent backup version, and then edit the newer emails directly into the Inbox mbox file itself - BUT you won't be able to rebuild the MSF!

So any reconstruction to include your "missing" emails will have to wait until this bug is fixed. :(

Off to search Bugzilla and [presumably] file a bug.

EDIT: submitted as https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=801458

Might be a DUP of Bug 669136 - crash [@ nsParseMailMessageState::FinalizeHeaders()], [libSystem.B.dylib@0x4123b | ParseString | nsParseMailMessageState::FinalizeHeaders ] (5.0, Mac )

Phil
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Not sure if this really is a DUP or not - but as soon as a Windows build for the first 2.14 BETA candidate was available, I installed and tried it - and all is well again - the bug has been commented in a bit more detail.

Thanks, Andy, for at least holding out hope that the 2.14 mail client might not display this problem. :)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

The bug mentioned by Phil is still open, i.e., apparently nothing was checked in that would fix it in 2.14 (no commit message added to the bug report despite the patch having received approval from a reviewer, nothing in the repository logs referring to bug 669136).