Seamonkey 2.14 beta builds arrive (was/on hold for a while?)

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Uncle Jaque

Re: Seamonkey 2.14 beta builds

Post by Uncle Jaque »

I keep getting a pop up reminding me to update to SM 2.13. I tried 2.12 and it was such a disaster on the e mail composition window that I backed up to 2.11 and still using it. Now see there is a 2.15 b1 available which I just downloaded but haven't installed yet.

How can I set up a separate version of SM to evaluate newer builds without having it replace my current working version? I'd want it to import my AB, BM etc. but have a separate icon on DT so I can choose which one I want to use at any given time.

If I like the way the beta works I can uninstall the older version and stick with the new one, or just keep updating the experimental one if I want to play with it, while maintaining a stable build to fall back on in case the "update" turns out to be a "downdate" like 2.12 was.... or what I think you're calling a "chemspill". Apt term.

I run redundant MWB & AVIRA for AV - no conflicts yet.
vazhavandan

Re: Seamonkey 2.14 beta builds arrive (was/on hold for a whi

Post by vazhavandan »

create new profile and test things in case of beta version http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
therube

Post by therube »

You can simply copy the wanted profile data from one profile to the other.
Your desktop shortcuts can specify the particular profile you wish to open with the particular SeaMonkey version.
(Always safer to not mix & match.)

So something like ...

Code: Select all

seamonkey.exe  -P  215testProfile
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Uncle Jaque

Re: Seamonkey 2.15 beta Trial Run?

Post by Uncle Jaque »

Thanx 4 your advice.

So are u suggesting that I copy profile data using the explorer function rather than using the "Import" feature within the browser & Mail client?

BTW; I want to make a back up CD / DVD of my mail boxes (including all my mail), archives, and settings; Where do I find all the stuff / files I need to backup and which ones should be backed up?

I'm running W-7 on an ACER laptop.

So having downloaded 2.15 beta, do I use a "custom install" to avoid replacing my current version? Where should I install it to? Do I need to create a separate folder for it?

My V.2.11 is quirky, but at least it isn't crashing all the time like 2.12 did. I didn't even dare mess with 2.13.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

For testing purposes on Windows, I usually just download the ".zip" file from Mozilla's site and unpack it to some local folder (i.e., not formally installing), then start it from there. You'll still have to follow the advice given by the others to use a different profile to avoid interference of versions, especially if you want to switch back to an older version after testing a beta (there is usually migration code to adjust for any profile changes from an older to a more recent version, but not the reverse situation, thus the profile may be left corrupted if you switch between versions).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Testing_pre-release_versions has some more information.
Uncle Jaque

Post by Uncle Jaque »

Before I go horsing with profiles I figured I'd better back them up just 2 be on the safe side.

OK, so I downloaded Moz. backup 1.5.2 beta and unpacked it to a folder I created in Program Files, but it refuses to open and says to re install. How do I get it to install in the first place? It says I have to unpack other files, but none of them remain in *.zip format after i extracted it. How is it supposed to work?
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

You generally don't need any fancy stuff to backup your data
Just locate your profile folder by referring to this webpage
After you find the folder, copy the entire contents of the folder to your Documents,Desktop, Library,E:\ etc
You can also burn that thing(folder) onto a DVD etc:
is that a flute in your avatar ?
Uncle Jaque

Re: Seamonkey beta builds

Post by Uncle Jaque »

Thanks Vaz - I finally found the folder via the Help menu, but it's too big to BU on2 a CD and this danged thing refuses to recognize a DVD-RW in the drive. Tried a 4 gig thumb drive but it's got a 3.25G application "Ready Boost Cache File" on it that won't let me close or erase it because its "in use" somewhere. The little blue light keeps blinking and I have no idea what it's doing, but until I can buy a new thumb drive (I guess this one is ruined) or a DVD that my drive feels like recognizing (how many will I have to waste money on to figure that out i wonder) I've got no where to back the data up to.

Until I can back that profile up I'd better not go fooling with betas... and given experience with SM upgrades that turn into downgrades (leaving me not trusting Mozilla much any more) I'll keep plodding along with 2.11 until I grow some smarts enough to game the options. It's quirky but it works.
That's a "CLARKE" Irish Tin Whistle in the Avitar - I was playing it in a Sea Chanty jam some years ago. This brand is still made the same as "Whistlin' Billy" made them in Ireland back in 1845... as far as I know you can still buy them. I also play guitar, banjo, primitive Celtic flute, military fife, and a wee bit of concertina. Most of the music I do has been off of the top 40 for about 150 years.

You can hear me play that whistle doing a tune I wrote for the WW-I poem "Flanders Fields" @:
http://www.reverbnation.com/unclejaqueclarke
Or download the track @:
http://www.reverbnation.com/audio_playe ... modal=true
Uncle Jaque

Re: Seamonkey 2.15beta

Post by Uncle Jaque »

When I installed what I thought was V2.15b into an "BROWSERS\EXPERIMENTAL" file I created it opened up as V2.11!
Re-Downloaded and re-installed it again and viola, managed to get it to open as 2.15 that time.

Wow; did it boot up FAST! So far everything seems ducky and stable; it seems to have helped itself to my profile and opened up with the same tabs I had when I shut down V.2.11. > Manage BM - they're all there all right. The proof of the pudding will be how well I can compose and edit messages on e mail - that's been a bugaboo on past several versions.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Try these to reduce size of profile folder:-
==>
Sometimes most of the profile folder would be website cache.
For example in the past i have noticed that when i keep watching a lot of videos and there would be about 1Gb of cached data. This will bloat up the profile folder.
Try "Clear now" button and ensure that all checkboxes(cookies etc) are checked in this window "Edit==>Preferences==>Privacy & Security"
Close Seamonkey and check size of profile again. It may be of smaller size now.
==>
I also hope that you are already compacting mails as described here
vazhavandan

Re: Seamonkey 2.15beta

Post by vazhavandan »

Uncle Jaque wrote: it seems to have helped itself to my profile and opened up with the same tabs I had when I shut down V.2.11.

This(2.15) is beta/alpha software . Don't allow it to use your working profile lest you regret it later.
Uncle Jaque

Post by Uncle Jaque »

Whoah!; Were you ever right about that "regret" thing!

I thought that by installing to seperate folders I could isolate my working SM from the Experimental beta for eval. - WRONG!

2.15b opened in a flash, loaded in a snap, and the browser side of it seems much improved.
The E_MAIL side, however, is another matter! When I went to reply to a mail I discovered that my addy book folders were still there - but they were all empty. Addys all gone!
Feeling terribly clever, I just shut it down and reverted to my "old" V2.11... or tried to. When I opened it it hung, then became "unresponsive" and hung up. Tried opening dirctly fm file; same. Had to C>A>Del to close it.

So V15b not only evicerated my address book, but it killed my working SM program!

Pulled a System Restore which for the moment seems to have got us back on line, and seeing reports of what a shop of horrors V.2.14 is, it will be a while b4 I try upgrading again - but it was educational.

Discovered that my profiles hog up over 8GB... I hoard a lot of e mail... obviously. Will have to hitch up the XHD to back that up I guess!
Thanx 4 adv in finding those hidden profiles to BU - that can be daunting!

Will lurk here looking for the advent of a reliable stable build... any day now eh?
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

You can also try this shortcut method to test new betas
use tools==>switch profile==>Manage Profiles==>create Profile==>next==>Name it "TestProfile"==>Finish==>Click on TestProfile==>use profile
Close the seamonkey
Install beta version into new folder. Open beta version and viola it will use new profile(Don't switch to default profile under any circumstance)
Play as much as you want. Close beta
Then come back to preferred version of seamonkey and switch profile again to original version
Risky but it works !!!
therube

Post by therube »

2.15b opened in a flash...
I just shut it down and reverted to my "old" V2.11... or tried to. When I opened it it hung, then became "unresponsive" and hung up. Tried opening dirctly fm file; same. Had to C>A>Del to close it.

I've been meaning to file a bug on that, as I've encountered it too.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript