32 bits SeaMonkey on 64 bits Linux

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Pim

32 bits SeaMonkey on 64 bits Linux

Post by Pim »

Is the 32 bits version of SeaMonkey supposed to run on 64 bits OSes? I mean, I've been running them on a 64 bits Windows for some time, but now I've finally got a 64 bits Linux box, I found that none of the copies I had (official releases, nightlies etc) will actually run on it.

This version of Linux doesn't have SeaMonkey or IceApe in its repositories, so I must use the seamonkey-project builds.
Now the x86_64 build runs fine, but as the download page says, it's an unofficial build and I'm not sure if it's guaranteed to be stable.
Groetjes, Pim
James

Re: 32 bits SeaMonkey on 64 bits Linux

Post by James »

You may need the appropriate 32-bit packages in order to use the 32-bit builds.
rsx11m

Re: 32 bits SeaMonkey on 64 bits Linux

Post by rsx11m »

Just go ahead and use the x86_64 builds from the web site. They are labeled "unofficial" as there are no localized builds for it (en-US only), but as you can see from the http://tbpl-dev.callek.net/ tinderbox page, 64-bit Linux builds are included in the testing cycle. The only issue you may run into are plugins, for which you either need 64-bit versions (recommended) or need the nspluginwrapper wrapper to run 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit browser (at the cost of performance).

There is an important difference between running 32-bit builds on 64-bit Windows vs. 64-bit Linux: On Windows, there is a layer ("WOW64") that translates all 32-bit requests from the application into the 64-bit world of the operating system; on Linux, you have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of all necessary libraries, thus may need to install additional 32-bit packages from the distribution's repository as James pointed out above.