Venkman about to retire with SM 2.30

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
rsx11m

Venkman about to retire with SM 2.30

Post by rsx11m »

With core bug 800200, JSD1 will be removed. Since Venkman (JavaScript debugger) depends on it, this implies a forced retirement for it. No immediate ETA, but it appears that the bug to remove the underlying code is fairly far progressed already (the target is Gecko 32.0, thus SM 2.29, if that schedule holds). This is tracked in SM bug 1029513.

Replacement for debugging are the new devtools, for which right now you'd have to download Firefox in order to remotely debug SeaMonkey.
Lemon Juice

Re: Venkman about to retire

Post by Lemon Juice »

I haven't used Venkman much but it's a pity this has to happen. Is this extension abandoned with no hope of the developer updating its code?

The bug involves a lot of discussion with the developer of Firebug. Do you know if the whole JSD transition will have any impact on Firebug's compatibility with SM? I've just made a quick check with SM 2.29a1 + FB 2.0.1 and on the surface it seemed to work OK, however I haven't done any extensive tests.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

If extensions looking for JSD is expected to cause crashes, they may have to consider blocklisting. If they just fail silently it's still bad, but probably not worthy of a block.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

That's apparently the plan (i.e., listing as incompatible, not as malicious in the blocklist).
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

rsx11m wrote:With core bug 800200, JSD1 will be removed. ... No immediate ETA, but it appears that the bug to remove the underlying code is fairly far progressed already

This goes quicker than expected, changes were pushed already to inbound and may hit mozilla-central within the next 24 hours:
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Landed on mozilla-central; thus, Venkman is now technically broken.
I'm not sure if they will uplift this to aurora (better not).
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That was fast. Yeah... hopefully someone will protest if they try to uplift!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

It sure would be desirable that "real" bugs get fixed at the same speed. :doubt:

Comment #92 is a bit scary, are they currently in some kind of competition who is throwing out the most "old" code that "nobody" (well, from the Firefox perspective of course - see current bustage on comm-central due to S/MIME breakage) is using any more?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

patrickjdempsey wrote:hopefully someone will protest if they try to uplift!

Landed on Gecko 33.0 but was won't-fixed for 32.0, thus won't be broken with SM 2.29 already.
rsx11m

Re: Venkman about to retire with SM 2.30

Post by rsx11m »

The Venkman code is now officially removed from SeaMonkey trunk: