Electrolysis in SeaMonkey?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Lemon Juice

Electrolysis in SeaMonkey?

Post by Lemon Juice »

What is the plan regarding implementing electrolysis/e10s in SeaMonkey? Will SM follow Firefox or will they part ways in this regard?
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Philip Chee

Re: Electrolysis in SeaMonkey?

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:What is the plan regarding implementing electrolysis/e10s in SeaMonkey? Will SM follow Firefox or will they part ways in this regard?
We don't have a plan. We don't have a plan in the first place because we don't have enough man (or woman or person) power to do this even if we wanted to.

Some of e10s will come for free as part of the platform. This can be a blessing or a curse - depending on your point of view.

Phil
therube

Post by therube »

That sounds like a good plan to me ;-).

For reference, Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Electrolysis) & (NoScript) https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 18&t=19994.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I'd rather not have to rewrite my extensions. ;)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Philip Chee wrote:We don't have a plan. We don't have a plan in the first place because we don't have enough man (or woman or person) power to do this even if we wanted to.

Some of e10s will come for free as part of the platform. This can be a blessing or a curse - depending on your point of view.

Well, yes, I used the grand word plan but in fact I meant to ask whether the default policy of using Fx's platform as the base means SM will get e10s in releases based on Fx's e10s releases. It looks like the answer is yes, at least to some degree.
therube wrote:For reference, Multiprocess Firefox [e10s] (Electrolysis) & (NoScript) https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... 18&t=19994.

Good links! :)
patrickjdempsey wrote:I'd rather not have to rewrite my extensions. ;)

It's a double edged sword, you know. If SM stays the same and you won't have to rewrite your extensions then SM might stop working with many other extensions that will be updated to work with e10s. It looks like e10s will be the cause of another revolution in extension compatibility, even more than Australis. I don't think SM has any other choice but to follow what happens at Fx and hope it will all turn out well...
patrickjdempsey

User-sourced information about addon compatibility is completely useless in my experience. And I would bet that the vast majority of those that users claim are compatible on that page are NOT. This means Mozilla will likely launch e10s thinking that it's going to work with most extensions and won't realize that the reports are useless until it's too late to back out. It's classic dogfooding.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Lemon Juice wrote:If SM stays the same and you won't have to rewrite your extensions then SM might stop working with many other extensions that will be updated to work with e10s.

Even if SeaMonkey doesn't adopt e10s, it's got the message manager anyway, so e10s-only addons should work fine in SeaMonkey with or without e10s actually present (correct?).
patrickjdempsey

That's my rough understanding. And it would *have* to work this way otherwise e10s-ready extensions would fail when e10s is disabled in Firefox as well.
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

Philip Chee wrote:Some of e10s will come for free as part of the platform. This can be a blessing or a curse - depending on your point of view.

Phil

I saw a bunch of e10s-related patches in Session Restore, so if it come as a part of platform, those patches are also will be needed to port. More like curse :roll:
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

barbaz wrote:
Lemon Juice wrote:If SM stays the same and you won't have to rewrite your extensions then SM might stop working with many other extensions that will be updated to work with e10s.

Even if SeaMonkey doesn't adopt e10s, it's got the message manager anyway, so e10s-only addons should work fine in SeaMonkey with or without e10s actually present (correct?).

Correct, when I read up about converting addons for e10s this appears to be true so at least there will be one-way compatibility. But Fx is going to have trouble with so many extensions refusing to work in e10s since obviously not every developer will do the necessary work of adapting their versions.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:Well, yes, I used the grand word plan but in fact I meant to ask whether the default policy of using Fx's platform as the base means SM will get e10s in releases based on Fx's e10s releases. It looks like the answer is yes, at least to some degree.
Currently e10s is controlled by a pref and is on only in Firefox nightlies. If it still exists down the line, we'll leave it off.

Extensions: Some might break. The Firefox team is well aware of this. The plan is to write some shims so most extensions will just work without having to do anything. Of course the more complicated an extension is the more likely it's going to break in unanticipated ways. That's why the FX team is asking people to report broken extensions as soon as possible, so that the required shims can be put in place ASAP.

Phil
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Philip Chee wrote:Currently e10s is controlled by a pref and is on only in Firefox nightlies. If it still exists down the line, we'll leave it off.

Do you mean e10s will be off in SM even when the corresponding Fx release will have it on by default?
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:Currently e10s is controlled by a pref and is on only in Firefox nightlies. If it still exists down the line, we'll leave it off.
Do you mean e10s will be off in SM even when the corresponding Fx release will have it on by default?
I'm not sure about this but the main place where e10s will have an effect is in the tabbrowser. And since nobody is working on remote tabs (tab contents in a separate process) for SeaMonkey, e10s probably have no effect. I can't speak for the Council but we'll decide this if and when we have to.

Phil
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Okay, thanks for the answer. So it looks like it depends on how much work it would be to port e10s from Fx and how much time the devs will have. We will see.

Meanwhile, I was doing some initial tests of Mouse Gestures Suite in Fx nightly with e10s. I haven't ported all the code for e10s compatibility (yet) but only did some minimal adjustment to get the main features to work. And I must say that from a mouse gesture extension perspective e10s is a dream come true - finally, I am able to draw gestures in the chrome process separate from the content process, which gets rid of all kinds of short (and long) freezes and hiccups when a web page is being rendered or is doing some heavy script work while I'm drawing a gesture with the mouse. I've tried loading al kinds of large and cpu intensive web pages and with e10s the gestures are working smoothly with perfect responsiveness regardless of what the web pages are doing. Sweet. And now we don't need complicated workarounds for good gesture responsiveness like the one in the famous Mouse Gestures Redox extension, which used binary components for detecting mouse movements because there was no better option. And from my tests e10s works even better than Redox with binary components, because Redox still had some hiccups caused by js in web pages while with e10s there are none if properly coded.

I can see that FireGestures is already moving to e10s compatibility and while it doesn't draw the trails asynchronously in the chrome process it does detect mouse movements asynchronously, which helps a lot. If e10s finally manages to work well without being a resource hog it may turn out quite well eventually after most of the extensions compatibility has been dealt with.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Is there any further update on Electrolysis (e10s) in SeaMonkey? It was remarked upthread that at least some of e10s will come as part of the platform, so I'm wondering whether in the last six years the backend has brought some or all of e10s. There's been very little discussion of this in the SeaMonkey minutes, and the last bug report I can find regarding e10s (Bug 1410614) indicates that e10s is disabled in SeaMonkey, but that was also a long time (three years) ago. Is it possible that most or all of the support is already there now, but no one has thought to announce this and re-enable the feature?

Incidentally, this query is apropos of this discussion about the Greasemonkey port for SeaMonkey, which has been frozen since 2017 ostensibly due to a lack of e10s support in SeaMonkey.