Is the font handling going to change in Gecko 41?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Pim

Is the font handling going to change in Gecko 41?

Post by Pim »

I'm not sure how to search for changing software modules, so if this is something that can easily be found, other than downloading two tarballs, unpacking them and doing a file-by-file diff, I'm all ears.

When testing some features, I noticed that the nightly trunk build no longer differentiates between font-style:italic and font-style:oblique. They come out looking the same, even with fonts that have both italic and oblique versions, like Kinnari.
Now I'm not sure if this is purely the rendering engine, or if there are other factors at play, maybe some about:config setting that I should change?
If not, is this something that I have to live with, or should I file a bug?

There are other changes too, which show that there is work being done on the font display - the newest version recognises font replacement settings in the .font.conf file, which older versions don't. The latter is not something I'm going to file a bug for though...
Groetjes, Pim
barbaz

Re: Is the font handling going to change in Gecko 41?

Post by barbaz »

Pim wrote:When testing some features, I noticed that the nightly trunk build no longer differentiates between font-style:italic and font-style:oblique. They come out looking the same, even with fonts that have both italic and oblique versions, like Kinnari.

Can you please post screenshots of what you think each is supposed to look like and what each looks like in Gecko 41?
Pim

Post by Pim »

Given this html

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
 <head>
  <meta charset="UTF-8">
  <title>Test of Kinnari font</title>
 </head>
 <body style="font:30px/36px 'Kinnari'">
  <div>This is Kinnari regular.</div>
  <div style="font-style:oblique">This is Kinnari oblique.</div>
  <div style="font-style:italic">This is Kinnari italic.</div>
 </body>
</html>

You get this result in SM 2.33.1:

And this is the same HTML file with SM 2.38a1 (today's build):

In the bottom screenshot, the last two lines use the same font style (both oblique); they're different in the top screenshot.

There aren't many fonts with both oblique and italic styles, by the way. Kinnari is the only such one I know of in the Linux repository. So if you don't have it installed, the italic and oblique faces will probably come out the same in any browser.
Groetjes, Pim
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I was going to suggest you file a bug but decided to quickly search Bugzilla.. and found https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=543715. Given that this works for you in 2.33.1, I don't know what that means though. :?
Pim

Post by Pim »

That bug is for @font-face rules. Sure enough, that doesn't work.
Groetjes, Pim