SeaMonkey nightly builds come now with Lightning!

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
rsx11m

SeaMonkey nightly builds come now with Lightning!

Post by rsx11m »

We are back to the suite with integrated calendar component! 8-)

Bug 516026 - Integrate Lightning Into SeaMonkey by Default and Ship SeaMonkey with Lightning Enabled, landed yesterday on trunk, aurora, and beta channels.

With today's nightly builds, SeaMonkey 2.46a1 comes with Lightning 5.1a1, and SeaMonkey 2.45a2 comes with Lightning 5.0a2 bundled and enabled by default. If you get a 2.44 tinderbox build or compile from comm-beta yourself, it will actually come with Lightning 4.7.1 rather than 4.9 (that's because Thunderbird has its own 45.1 beta release branch there right now which Lightning shares).

The bundling avoids the guesswork which matching Lightning beta version is needed for which SeaMonkey branch. After installation or upgrade from an installation without Lightning installed already, you should see a (rather subtle) notification bar in the Mail & News window, located between the thread pane and the message pane. It allows you to disable Lightning with a single click if you don't want it.
TPR75

Re: SeaMonkey nightly builds come now with Lightning!

Post by TPR75 »

Nice! But how about support for Modern theme? Lightning as extension in present version of SeaMonkey doesn't work with Modern theme. I mean Lightning related parts are in Classic/Default theme. I hope it will work with Modern in 100%...
--
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

How do I get a current Linux Nightly to check it out?

It's still 20160512003002 like SM 2.45a1 20160425003002
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

TPR75 wrote:Nice! But how about support for Modern theme? Lightning as extension in present version of SeaMonkey doesn't work with Modern theme. I mean Lightning related parts are in Classic/Default theme. I hope it will work with Modern in 100%...
I left a note in bug 517684, motivating to restart the efforts to develop a theme extension for Lightning on Modern, which then hopefully could be shipped with SeaMonkey by default. There is a draft extension posted, but for a very old version, thus not quite likely to work any more.

Nightly builds with Lightning are available for Mac OSX and Linux on the FTP site:
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

What will happen if you have already installed Lightning as a separate extension? Should I uninstall it before upgrading to whatever version of SM that comes with it (2.46?)?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

(to note, self-builders who want Lightning need to add this line to mozconfig, and self-builders who don't need a calendar can just not have this line in mozconfig to not build Lightning: )

Code: Select all

ac_add_options --enable-calendar
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

raj_bhaskar wrote:What will happen if you have already installed Lightning as a separate extension? Should I uninstall it before upgrading to whatever version of SM that comes with it (2.46?)?
Hmm, good question. According to the packaging manifest, it goes into @RESPATH@/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/ for nightly but @RESPATH@/distribution/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/ for release builds. One of those variants should try to install it into the profile (which may cause a conflict if such an extension with the same UUID is already there) whereas the other just takes the installation's location where the question is which one "wins" (i.e., is the version in the profile preferred over the one that comes with the installation).
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

WLS wrote:How do I get a current Linux Nightly to check it out?
Be aware of Bug 1272194 [GTK3] Regression: highlighted menu items are invisible on current trunk, unrelated to Lightning.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

barbaz wrote:(to note, self-builders who want Lightning need to add this line to mozconfig, and self-builders who don't need a calendar can just not have this line in mozconfig to not build Lightning: )

ac_add_options --enable-calendar
Actually, I don't think so (though haven't tried to build from scratch since that has landed).
http://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/rev/e0a3a6065338 enables it by default.

ac_add_options --disable-calendar
if what you need if you don't want to build with Lightning.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Oh.. I only use my own mozconfig, I don't include the mozconfigs from the tree. I had assumed that adding the line in the official mozconfigs made building Lightning default only for official builds.

Thanks for the clarification.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

rsx11m wrote:
WLS wrote:How do I get a current Linux Nightly to check it out?
Be aware of Bug 1272194 [GTK3] Regression: highlighted menu items are invisible on current trunk, unrelated to Lightning.
I guess I'll have to comment in that bug.

My menu items turned white, but still legible using the default GTK3 theme, but are black using the oxygen-gtk theme in Firefox 49.0a1 on Linux Mint 17.3.

Will give SeaMonkey Nightly a look.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

I've just opened Bug 1272888, Initial Mail & News window width can't accommodate Lightning elements, cuts off contents on first run, given that the default messenger-window size is now definitely too small when opening SeaMonkey for the first time.
rsx11m wrote:
raj_bhaskar wrote:What will happen if you have already installed Lightning as a separate extension? Should I uninstall it before upgrading to whatever version of SM that comes with it (2.46?)?
Hmm, good question. According to the packaging manifest, it goes into @RESPATH@/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/ for nightly but @RESPATH@/distribution/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/ for release builds. One of those variants should try to install it into the profile (which may cause a conflict if such an extension with the same UUID is already there) whereas the other just takes the installation's location where the question is which one "wins" (i.e., is the version in the profile preferred over the one that comes with the installation).
I've played a bit with this, using 2.{44,45,46} builds (on Linux). All of these versions installed Lightning in the profile, but only if (a) no Lightning is found there yet, or (b) if the installed Lightning version is older than the one coming with the installer. Thus, if you go back a version after a newer Lightning was copied into the profile already, it will be disabled as incompatible; conversely, if you go forward and a newer version of Lightning comes with that installation, it replaces the older version in your profile. So, that sounds reasonable.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

An explanation for the different installation procedures/locations is given in bug 1159499:
Fallen wrote:For release we need to put the extension into bin/distribution/extensions because it should be installed into new profiles, and putting it into bin/extensions would also break binary signatures on mac.

For nightly, or at least for compiled builds, we need to put it into bin/extensions so that changes will reflect instantly on install, see bug 1075048.

If you find a switch between nightly and compiled builds, we could install into bin/extensions only for compiled builds.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

rsx11m wrote:I've just opened Bug 1272888, Initial Mail & News window width can't accommodate Lightning elements, cuts off contents on first run, given that the default messenger-window size is now definitely too small when opening SeaMonkey for the first time.
This has landed today for 2.44 and up.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

rsx11m wrote:We are back to the suite with integrated calendar component!
How about (default) User Agent. Will it inform now about "integrated" Calendar/Lightning? I hope it will not... [-o<
--