Scrollbars messed in 2.49a2

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
barbaz

Scrollbars messed in 2.49a2

Post by barbaz »

Testing out SeaMonkey 2.49a2 official build 20161216013001, on Linux x86_64. First problem I noticed is that all the scrollbar thumbs have gotten a bit obese compared to my 2.46pre build. (I'm using the default SeaMonkey theme, Greybird OS theme.)

Stylish doesn't seem to be able to affect scrollbars, so I stuck this in userChrome.css -

Code: Select all

thumb[orient="vertical"] {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  max-width: 9px !important;
}
thumb[orient="horizontal"] {
  max-height: 9px !important;
}
And I get a smaller boxy scrollbar on the addressbar dropdown, as expected. But the scrollbar thumbs for the right of this page, and for the text box where I'm writing this post, are still these weird fat things.

Looked at the scrollbars with DOMi, and the selectors I'm using really should work. I guess userChrome.css just doesn't affect the unstyled scrollbars.

Frank Lion's "Metal Lion Sea Monkey Silver Scrollbars" add-on does style all of the scrollbars, but I'm not seeing how it's doing it.

Next issue is, even where I can restyle the scrollbars, the thumb is now stuck to the left edge, not centered like it was before. Attempts to change margin-left and margin-right caused the thumb to totally disappear. Attempts to edit border-* properties had no effect.

So..

1) How to style all the scrollbars?

2) After shrinking the thumb, how to get it centered in the slider?
Anonymosity

Re: Scrollbars messed in 2.49a2

Post by Anonymosity »

You are using an alpha version, and evidently it has bugs. That is expected in alpha versions. They are not completely debugged.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Anonymosity wrote:You are using an alpha version, and evidently it has bugs. That is expected in alpha versions. They are not completely debugged.
Yeah, and if people like me didn't use the alpha versions and find the bugs... guess how debugged the release versions would be.
vladmir

Post by vladmir »

barbaz
1) How to style all the scrollbars?
I use pinball theme with my mods.
I replaced imgs in folder
pinball_2011-09-10_sea2.3.jar\global\scrollbar\
And styled scrollbars in
pinball_2011-09-10_sea2.3.jar\global\scrollbars.css
pinball_2011-09-10_sea2.3.jar\global\scrollbars-mini.css
(Didn't change scrollbox.css)

In modern:
modern@themes.mozilla.org.xpi\chrome\modern\skin\modern\global\scrollbar\
modern@themes.mozilla.org.xpi\chrome\modern\skin\modern\global\scrollbars.css
modern@themes.mozilla.org.xpi\chrome\modern\skin\modern\global\scrollbars-mini.css
modern@themes.mozilla.org.xpi\chrome\modern\skin\modern\global\scrollbox.css

As for classic I did'n find css for scrollbars.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks vladimir for the tip. I copied in the entire scrollbars.css and scrollbars-mini.css from Modern into a Stylish user style, threw in this code...

thumb {
}
... and got the same result as with my earlier userChrome.css tests. Addressbar dropdown has a scrollbar thumb that looks sort of like Modern, other scrollbars are totally unaffected.

Switching to Modern theme, however, does restyle all the scrollbars. :?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Firefox 52.0a2 and 53.0a1 are likewise affected. Off to Bugzilla.

EDIT https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1324256
therube

Post by therube »

(Oh, I can see it now... WONTFIX. We've deprecated themes, we've deprecated extensions, we've deprecated... Sorry, unable to go on, we no longer exist.)

PS: Screenshot.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:Frank Lion's "Metal Lion Sea Monkey Silver Scrollbars" add-on does style all of the scrollbars, but I'm not seeing how it's doing it.
That's simple, it's because I'm really smart. :P

First thing to know is that there are 2 sets of scrollbars - one controlled by chrome, the other (the main ones) come under content.

Thus, you can add to userChrome.css scrolls styling, but it only affects things like the scrolls in the sidebar, long menus, etc.

So, to do the job properly I needed to hit content but, at the time, Mozilla had decided that we couldn't use the override command in chrome.manifest in theme .jars. So, I got around that by doing a tiny companion extension (that can use override) to override the default scrollbars.css and did it that way.

You can use the same technique for tooltips, which are also a weird mix of chrome and content ones. I didn't do that as the disadvantage (this only applies to my flexing technique of writing Complete Themes) is that when you use override that you effectively then 'own' the .css file and thus have to keep a constant close eye on default in case stuff changes and you need to change your stuff to keep in line.

Scrollbar coding never changes, but tooltip coding is in popup.css, which could change without warning.

Hope that makes sense.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks Frank, that does make sense to answer my question #1. :D
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

For #2, read this - http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_align.asp

On the image 'TryIt', try this -

display: block;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
There's a good few other ways to do it as well. The golden rule with UI generally is to never use actual margin or padding values (i.e. 2px;) unless you really have to.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Unfortunately that didn't work :(

I made a simple extension with the override, copied in the scrollbars.css from my 2.46pre, and patched it like this -

diff --git a/skin/scrollbars.css b/skin/scrollbars.css
--- a/skin/scrollbars.css
+++ b/skin/scrollbars.css
@@ -61,11 +61,19 @@
 thumb {
   -moz-appearance: scrollbarthumb-vertical;
   min-height: 8px;
+  display: block;
+  margin-left: auto;
+  margin-right: auto;
+  max-width: 9px;
 }

thumb[orient="horizontal"] {
   -moz-appearance: scrollbarthumb-horizontal;
   min-width: 8px;
+  max-height: 9px;
+  display: block;
+  margin-top: auto;
+  margin-bottom: auto;
 }

/* ::::: scrollbar button ::::: */
@@ -169,11 +177,19 @@
   html|div thumb {
     -moz-appearance: scrollbarthumb-vertical;
     min-height: 8px;
+    display: block;
+    margin-left: auto;
+    margin-right: auto;
+    max-width: 9px;
   }

html|div thumb[orient="horizontal"] {
     -moz-appearance: scrollbarthumb-horizontal;
     min-width: 8px;
+    max-height: 9px;
+    display: block;
+    margin-top: auto;
+    margin-bottom: auto;
   }

/* ::::: scrollbar button ::::: */
All the thumbs are now a reasonable size, but still out of position. Vertical scrollbar thumbs remain stuck to the left edge of the slider, horizontal scrollbar thumbs remain stuck to the top edge.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote:Unfortunately that didn't work :(
First, put important! on the margin-left/right/top/bottom lines.

If no joy, then try replacing the -moz-appear stuff lines above with -moz-appearance: none !important;

You need to know if your other code is good anyway and if it then works with none! then you know it's the OS -moz-appear stuff that is doing the wrecking.

That's the problem with all OS -moz-appear stuff, in that you never know exactly what attributes it's controlling until you try it. Could well be that -moz-appearance: scrollbarthumb-vertical; etc. is controlling the position of the thumbs.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Frank Lion wrote:First, put important! on the margin-left/right/top/bottom lines.

If no joy, then try replacing the -moz-appear stuff lines above with -moz-appearance: none !important;
Changed all of that as suggested, and scrollbars are now boxy (as expected) but still out of position.

:-k Could it actually be another element's CSS be the cause of this problem? Would any other elements be worth trying a -moz-appearance: none !important; on?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

barbaz wrote: :-k Could it actually be another element's CSS be the cause of this problem? Would any other elements be worth trying a -moz-appearance: none !important; on?
As you can imagine, it would be easier if I had the same stuff in front of me. But, FWIW, I never put a width on vertical thumbs, I control the width of the thumb by putting the required width on the slider and that sorts out both the slider and thumb width in one go.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Frank Lion wrote: FWIW, I never put a width on vertical thumbs, I control the width of the thumb by putting the required width on the slider and that sorts out both the slider and thumb width in one go.
Tried that and it looks promising. I think making that work for me could be just a matter of playing around with the -moz-appearance's, widths, etc.

Thanks again Frank for all the help! 8-)