Where are search plugins?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
Anonymosity

Where are search plugins?

Post by Anonymosity »

In SeaMonkey 2.49, where are added search plugins stored in the profile? They are no longer in a directory called "searchplugins".
smsmith

Re: Where are search plugins?

Post by smsmith »

I think they have been moved to the search.json.mozlz4 file in your profile folder.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1120564
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... ugins_now/
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

In that case, I should be able to remove the "searchplugins" folder from SM 2.46 and see no difference in the search engines, since that version also has that file in its profile.
nohamelin

Post by nohamelin »

SM 2.46 still use the searchplugins folder for engines storage, while the search.* files in the profile folder store some additional data. Only after upgrading to 2.49 your engines are migrated to the search.json.mozlz4 file, and the searchplugins folder is simply ignored from then.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I removed the searchplugins folder from my SM 2.46 profile and got some new search plugins. The folder never reappeared. I think it was converted to the new system already.

I looked at search.json, and it seems to list only those search plugins that are within SeaMonkey itself, not the ones I added. The other file - search.json.mozlz4 - seems to have at least some of the items I added. Was there something secret about the search plugins that the names had to be less easy to read?
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

nohamelin wrote:SM 2.46 still use the searchplugins folder for engines storage, while the search.* files in the profile folder store some additional data. Only after upgrading to 2.49 your engines are migrated to the search.json.mozlz4 file, and the searchplugins folder is simply ignored from then.
nohamelin,

I wondered why I only had some of my search plugins when I used a ESR portable Seamonkey 2.46 and then manually updated to one of Akalla's 2.49.1 builds... now I know. Any idea why the Mozilla developers changed over to json over the older format?

<whew>
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
nohamelin

Post by nohamelin »

ndebord wrote:
nohamelin wrote:SM 2.46 still use the searchplugins folder for engines storage, while the search.* files in the profile folder store some additional data. Only after upgrading to 2.49 your engines are migrated to the search.json.mozlz4 file, and the searchplugins folder is simply ignored from then.
nohamelin,

I wondered why I only had some of my search plugins when I used a ESR portable Seamonkey 2.46 and then manually updated to one of Akalla's 2.49.1 builds... now I know. Any idea why the Mozilla developers changed over to json over the older format?
Most of the reasons were summarized here:
http://blog.queze.net/post/2015/11/02/W ... -hijacking

I don't check often the SeaMonkey forums...