SeaMonkey 2.48 is under way

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
frg

SeaMonkey 2.48 is under way

Post by frg »

Build 1 seems to be going better than ewong expected:

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... es/build1/

Linux builds and Windows en-US build are already there so if someone wants to take a test drive they have release quality. The source code is done so even if additional builds are required the functionality will not change.

Updates will not work for 2.48. ewong tried but switching to the new Mozilla distribution servers got so complicated that he gave up. So when the final version appears download the full installer and just install it over your old version. Please spread the word to other 2.46 users. As usual do a profile backup before so you are covered if something goes wrong or you want to go back to an older version.

This is the last gtk2 version. The next one 2.49.1 will be build with gtk3 support.

I just did the release notes. Might still change: https://bug1336315.bmoattachments.org/a ... id=8884363

If everything goes as expected I expect the actual release to happen in a few days. If not it will take longer :)
rsx11m

Re: SeaMonkey 2.48 is under way

Post by rsx11m »

frg wrote:So when the final version appears download the full installer and just install it over your old version. Please spread the word to other 2.46 users. As usual do a profile backup before so you are covered if something goes wrong or you want to go back to an older version.
To be clear: Linux users relying on SeaMonkey builds provides by their distribution shouldn't be affected by the update problem (separate mechanism) and be updated as soon as their distro provides the builds, depending on their settings. Backing up the profile (~/.mozilla) before an update is still a good idea. ;-)
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

Is 2.48 officially released? I noticed on the site betanews this morning that it shows what appears to to the final release. Yet when i hit check for updates, its not showing up on here.
James

Post by James »

frg

Post by frg »

ewong is still running some verifications. He said he missed something but we knew that updates were not working. The builds are good. I am waiting with the release notes till I know it only affects updates and not pulling from the official sites.

You can pick it but please backup your profile before installing. Some breaking changes in the Gecko code which might break some older add-ons.

FRG
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

Been using the 2.48 version I downloaded from betanews since Saturday. No problems so far. All my add on's came over fine. Seems ready to go.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Filehippo's "App Manager" alerted me to this pending update. I let that do the update for me.

http://filehippo.com/download_app_manager/
James

Post by James »

DN123ABC wrote:Filehippo's "App Manager" alerted me to this pending update. I let that do the update for me.

http://filehippo.com/download_app_manager/
No need to get SeaMonkey from a random third-party site though.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, so I have 2.48 .exe, dated 21st of July, sitting on my desktop.. Install or not ?
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

mightyglydd wrote:Hmm, so I have 2.48 .exe, dated 21st of July, sitting on my desktop.. Install or not ?
Install it. I've been running it since it's release. It's running fine on my Win7 system.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

mightyglydd wrote:Hmm, so I have 2.48 .exe, dated 21st of July, sitting on my desktop.. Install or not ?
You'll lose SeaFox's Findbar and I seem to recall that search suggestions/search history weren't showing. I was trying it a week or two back on Linux just by extracting from the tarbzzzzz, like you would a .zip, so it wasn't hard to revert and decided to let this one ripen on the vine a while. For most people, it's probably fine.

Install or zip, don't forget to backup the profile as going back, if you wanted to, can bring unwanted surprises.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Thanks guys, I just installed/uninstalled.(backed up profile).
First thing I noticed was that Custom Buttons titlebar toggle doesn't work; and I have a major aversion to title bars..back on .46, I'll wait.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Frank mentioned that the Sea Fox find bar is absent. I can confirm that. It's a feature that I rarely use, so it went under the radar for me. He was correct on the search suggestions as well. Another thing I missed!
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
Bozz

Post by Bozz »

mightyglydd wrote:Thanks guys, I just installed/uninstalled.(backed up profile).
First thing I noticed was that Custom Buttons titlebar toggle doesn't work; and I have a major aversion to title bars..back on .46, I'll wait.
Back in January, I was using akalla builds when custom buttons broke in Seamonkey. I found a couple of custom buttons mods that still works with the SM 2.48 build-1 candidate that I'm using at the moment. I bumped the max-version.

http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... 343fdf2f70
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

L.A.R. Grizzly wrote:Frank mentioned that the Sea Fox find bar is absent. I can confirm that. It's a feature that I rarely use, so it went under the radar for me. He was correct on the search suggestions as well. Another thing I missed!
Pat's not going to be fixing SeaFox any time soon, I'm thinking. Putting the following in userChrome.css will at least put the default Findbar at the bottom, which is a start -

Code: Select all

/*Franks Findbar to bottom...*/
#FindToolbar {
	-moz-box-ordinal-group: 10 !important;}  
As searchbar history as well as suggestions have vanished, then that's not an external Google search type thing, but the searchbar history dropmarker binding itself blowing up. If it doesn't get fixed I'll take a look at it. It was probably just an oversight by someone.

@Bozz - Hi Bozz, Mighty knows because I gave him the link (I think there's newer ones around now than the one you linked to) a bit back, but he's forgotten to use it. :P
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)