Update on Adrian's builds?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

Update on Adrian's builds?

Post by RDaneel »

While these are not official, they certainly do have value to the community... so, does anyone have any insights into when they may be restored? ](*,)

Yes, I am well aware of bug 1383642 discussing - with rightful incredulity - the terrible problems with the [previous] hosting service... but it has had no update for over a week, with the final comment being that the bits had been rescued, and a potential new home had been found (maybe), but nothing really past that. :?

Inquiring minds and all... :roll:
WaltS48

Re: Update on Adrian's builds?

Post by WaltS48 »

Although blessed by the SeaMonkey developers, I think the community should stick with the SeaMonkey builds and always thought the fragmentation would become a problem.

Whether having too many builds to support, or that they suddenly disappeared for various reasons, not just because of a server problem.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Carl-Robert

Post by Carl-Robert »

As long as there are no official 64-bit ESR-builds on Windows, unofficial ones have to do.

For us who prefer to use such an updating cycle, unofficial/community builds are great, because not diverting the official team's effort, yet giving the end-user a working build which is more or less regularly updated.

Here's to hoping it won't be an another month before can get back to the rock-solid stability of Adrian Kalla's efforts.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

RDaneel wrote:While these are not official, they certainly do have value to the community... so, does anyone have any insights into when they may be restored? ](*,)

Yes, I am well aware of bug 1383642 discussing - with rightful incredulity - the terrible problems with the [previous] hosting service... but it has had no update for over a week, with the final comment being that the bits had been rescued, and a potential new home had been found (maybe), but nothing really past that. :?

new comments by [flod] posted on bug 1383642-
Not as it was. Adrian is working on setting up a different server, I'll add the redirect as soon as he's ready.
perhaps Adrian may also want to consider some cloud storage to host his stuff on as well - just a thought :)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

4td8s wrote:
RDaneel wrote:While these are not official, they certainly do have value to the community... so, does anyone have any insights into when they may be restored? ](*,)

new comments by [flod] posted on bug 1383642-
Not as it was. Adrian is working on setting up a different server, I'll add the redirect as soon as he's ready.
perhaps Adrian may also want to consider some cloud storage to host his stuff on as well - just a thought :)

4td8s

FWIW, I have been using Adrian's Akalla build for SM 2.49.1 for some time now (Build identifier: 20170528085107) and even though it is old now, it works better. I can wait now for the official 2.49.1 ESR as that is the gold standard for my tastes. Sure hope Adrian can get back online.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

... and I have been using the Akalla "release channel" build 2.51 (64-bit for Windows with Lightning) since June. :)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

RDaneel wrote:... and I have been using the Akalla "release channel" build 2.51 (64-bit for Windows with Lightning) since June. :)
RDaneel,

Now that is interesting, as I have avoided 64 bit apps for ever.... have one desktop that has it, but have to reconfigure it with W10 first to try. IMO, 2.49 is a much improved SM.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

In contrast, I jumped on the 64-bit bandwagon as soon as it came by - well, as soon as I had a CPU capable of this (my Intel "Conroe" dual-core ;) ) and Win NT 64-bit.

The availability of stable 64-bit SeaMonkey builds for Windows is what drew me to Adrian's builds, in point of fact.

For me, the 64-bit SM builds have *always* been both more performant and more stable - with the particular observation of my own that that they seem to hold up much better when the process's WS gets to 1 GB and beyond... and by "stable" here I mean a) fewer (/ no) crashes, and b) way less perceptible "keyboard/mouse lag" when the WS gets large (1.5 - 2.5 GB).
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

RDaneel wrote:In contrast, I jumped on the 64-bit bandwagon as soon as it came by - well, as soon as I had a CPU capable of this (my Intel "Conroe" dual-core ;) ) and Win NT 64-bit.

The availability of stable 64-bit SeaMonkey builds for Windows is what drew me to Adrian's builds, in point of fact.

For me, the 64-bit SM builds have *always* been both more performant and more stable - with the particular observation of my own that that they seem to hold up much better when the process's WS gets to 1 GB and beyond... and by "stable" here I mean a) fewer (/ no) crashes, and b) way less perceptible "keyboard/mouse lag" when the WS gets large (1.5 - 2.5 GB).
RDaneel,

Ah, well, I have a plugable docking station and a DELL Venue Pro 8 tablet 5830... we're talking Atom processor, 2 gigs RAM and 32 bit only. Add in an external monitor, a bluetooth MS Universal Folding Keyboard and LogiTech mouse and you have a complete computer, but fast? Nope. Adrian's build worked well when 2.46 and 2.48 did not on this platform. I was pleasantly surprised when I copied his build over an older portable apps SeaMonkey and found that it worked. I'm sure there are bugs and every now and then the whole thing chokes on this or that web page, but overall very good results. And that lag you note, I also saw reduced with this build. (I have tweaked WIndows 10 Home quite a bit to make this thing work with limited memory, but I routinely see it up to 90% use, CPU somewhat better.)
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Just found this thread. Could someone point me to a site where I can download Adrian's 64 Bit version of SM? I'm currently using a build from m64.info.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Well, the one I talk about running above (2.51 64-bit Windows "release channel") is the exact one present on the m64.info site you reference (verified by the file name, date, and MD5).

So, while there *were* some later "Betas" of SM on Adrian's site before everything there disappeared, this was/is the latest non-beta.

There does seem to be some hope for things reappearing, but none of the people that are closer to the rescued bits are giving dates and/or new URLs... at least that I have seen or heard about.

EDIT: to be [more] clear, I was merely verifying that by measurements I can make, this other site ("m64.info") appears to have the same bits as the Adrian Akalla SM 2.51 Windows 64-bit "release channel" build I have been running for almost 3 months... which suggests, since Adrian is a known builder, that they are merely "re-hosting" at least this specific build of his.
Last edited by RDaneel on September 12th, 2017, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

RDaneel wrote:Well, the one I talk about running above (2.51 64-bit Windows "release channel") is the exact one present on the m64.info site you reference (verified by the file name, date, and MD5).
Thank you. That's good to know. I'll keep an eye on m64.info to get the 64 Bit versions until v2.53 is released. That's the first official 64 Bit build that I've seen from the SM ftp site (I tried it, but it crashed when closing and sometimes left the seamonkey.exe running in the background). I tried v2.54, but that's the release that killed most of my Legacy add-ons.
Last edited by L.A.R. Grizzly on September 12th, 2017, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18
frg

Post by frg »

You won't see any official SeaMonkey version from Mozilla because they are done by the SeaMonkey project not Mozilla :) 2.53 will not be released by us. The reputation of m64.info is zero. I would not download anything from this site. They just copy Nightly or unoffcial builds. If you end up with a trojan or virus one day you shouldn't wonder.

Mozilla is still gutting the source tree so 2.54 is a moving target. I fixed up some of the breakages and it works more less but still needs some patches. Most extensions are broken now.

If you want a 2.49.1 or 2.53 x64 for testing shoot me a pm. I hope my reputation is a little little higher than m64.info :)
therube

Post by therube »

I'll keep an eye on m64.info to get the 64 Bit versions until v2.53 is released. That's the first official 64 Bit build that I've seen from Mozilla
2.53?
The next SeaMonkey release is intended to be 2.49.1 (based off of FF 52 ESR).
m64.info is not "official".
(But then neither is akalla, in that respect.)

(I do have akalla 2.49.1 in x32 & x64 that I can post somewhere, possibly this evening?)

seamonkey-2.49.1.en-US.win32.installer-akalla-comm-ESR-0619.exe
SHA1: 849ff47d1cf9ab4b36af9d706bec7a48259239b4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3rgcO ... sp=sharing

(x64 will have to be later...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

therube wrote:2.53? The next SeaMonkey release is intended to be 2.49.1 (based off of FF 52 ESR). m64.info is not "official". (But then neither is akalla, in that respect.)

(x64 will have to be later...)
Thanks therube. I edited my post. I realize that SM is no longer developed by Mozilla. I was snooping around the ftp site for SM and found that the earliest 64 Bit version they had posted was v2.53. I downloaded the 32 Bit version you uploaded. I'm searching for a 64 Bit. If you get a chance to upload it, it would be appreciated.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security