This time it's scrolling causing screen tearing...

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

This time it's scrolling causing screen tearing...

Post by RDaneel »

Yes, another one of my "has anyone else noticed..." posts. ;)

But - on Bill's 64-bit "2.53.1" builds - for the last week or 2, I have been noticing something I can only describe as "screen tearing" when scrolling with the mouse wheel (ONLY then).

Does anyone know if there have been changes checked in that would specifically affect performance or operation of mouse-wheel scrolling?

Given how distracting it is, I know I would have noticed it shortly after it started appearing in builds - so I do think it is quite recent.

Same Win 10 64-bit Pro box (fully up to date, including the "1909" update) with GeForce 1070, no new graphics driver for over a month, currently what NVidia calls "440.97".
TPR75

Re: This time it's scrolling causing screen tearing...

Post by TPR75 »

RDaneel wrote:But - on Bill's 64-bit "2.53.1" builds - for the last week or 2, I have been noticing something I can only describe as "screen tearing" when scrolling with the mouse wheel (ONLY then).
Is Hardware acceleration disabled and smooth scrolling enabled?

BTW Latest available build:
https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
... is 2.53.2 (Build identifier: 20191231130007).
--
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

That is the exact build I am running, and have been since it showed up on the last day of 2019. ;)

It seems not to show up automagically in my sig, maybe because of some UA overrides to try and make some sites behave(?).

H/W acceleration is enabled (as always for me), as is smooth scrolling.

To be clear, I am specifically looking for anyone with knowledge of checkins that could be connected to what I perceive as a [unwelcome] behavior change... as opposed to whether I have the "right" settings or not. ](*,)

Thanks!
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RDaneel wrote:]... as opposed to whether I have the "right" settings or not. ](*,)
You don't really understand how a Builds forum works, do you?

People need to know the 'Steps to Reproduce' without getting their heads bitten off by you, chum.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Sigh... I don't consider my clarifications of my question's actual thrust to be "head biting off" at all - but perhaps some are more sensitive than others.

In any case, I am really trying to focus on anything going into the build that could produce a change even vaguely related to what happens on the screen during mouse-wheel scrolling.

I believe this to be a different kind of question from "here is this random behavior, I wonder what could cause it?" - for this type of question, yes, I would expect a lot of detail about the user's system.
frg

Post by frg »

There were not that many checkins in the last weeks. We mostly did release work and did only post l10n and build changes.

For 2.53.2 the only change which imho might have caused trouble is the backport of Bug 488725 but I don't see any problems with it. If you go back to later 2.53.1 does this go away?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=488725

I am running 441.66 in Windows 8.1 and see no problems. 440.97 was considered problematic in games I think.

I am ready to push some patches activating advanced layers. This might fix it or make it worse.

FRG
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Thanks for considering this... after reviewing Bill's site, I don't think I know how to get to previous builds (I expect they are not available), and I have not been archiving them myself. :(

In fact, once the naming of "2.53.1" builds changed to "2.53.2b1pre", I am not seeing any newer "2.53.x" builds showing up since 12/31 (on Bill's site).

As for your "maybe this could do it?" bug, it doesn't feel like a good candidate - but since there are test cases, I will see if I can play around with that [floats thing] bit further.

Anyway, I will keep watching for builds and behavior, and if I catch it again, I will be better at nailing an actual page or pages that seem to show this issue.
frg

Post by frg »

Tomorrows build should have advanced layers enabled and a bunch of other stuff in. Please always keep the last build which worked for you. This is more of a continuous beta right now and regressions might creep in. The official beta 1 should be up soon on the project website. ewong is working on uploading it. You can check against this one then. If you have a site where this happens and can be reproduced let me know so that I can try.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Cool, will do... BTW, I just noticed this "tearing" - which isn't quite the correct term - on the Bing home page @ https://www.bing.com/ (look down at the lower part of the page, and run the scroll wheel up and down).

Observations:

1) the new "Edge" browser (built on Chrome's renderer) has no issues

2) of course, with Microsoft's browser on Microsoft's site (all on Microsoft's OS), there could be accusations of "cheating" ;)

3) referring back to frg's noted bug 488725 I do see a number of uses of "white-space:nowrap" in the source of the page... hmmm

EDIT: Breaking news - I just saw this same issue on an [HTML] email in SeaMonkey's email client - and it also has "white-space:nowrap"... just sayin'
frg

Post by frg »

Observations:

8.1 1070Ti 441.66 latest version advanced layers no problem
Virtualbox 7 + Server 2016 latest version software rendering no problem.
Win 10 1909 Thinkpad W500 ancient AMD one month old build from 2019 no problem.

New build is available on Bills page. Should show Compositing: Direct3D 11 (Advanced Layers) in about:support
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Thanks, f-r... there is both good and bad news - and it isn't clear which is which! ;)

On the newest build available from Bill - dated the 6th - I see no issues (yet), but I also see "Compositing: Basic" on the about:support page.

The build config source is shown as https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/comm-re ... a22611c960

Perhaps something missed his build cutoff time for inclusion?

Finally, I notice these values in my about:config:

layers.accelerate-none;false
layers.acceleration.disabled;false
layers.acceleration.draw-fps;false
layers.acceleration.force-enabled;false

(only the first is modified, the others are default)

Will keep watching for behavior and builds.

EDIT: very interesting... I kept poking around the about:support page, and noticed down at the bottom of the graphics section that layers were "disabled due to previous crash". There was a button for "Reset on Next Start" (or similar) so I tried that.

Wow. Not only do I now have the expected "Direct3D 11 (Advanced Layers)", also all of the WebGL 2 stuff that had been disabled is turned on and present. Things (perf and smoothness) are looking quite good at this point. :)