Request to install 2 extensions on 2.53.7b1pre?

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

Request to install 2 extensions on 2.53.7b1pre?

Post by RDaneel »

After installing the 2.53.7b1pre from 20201223, when I first start the browser, I have 2 tabs requesting to install an Add-On?

Specifically, they are asking for permission to install:

ChatZilla 0.9.96 by The ChatZilla Team
SeaMonkey Debug and QA UI 2.07 by Mozilla.org

On the face of it, these do not [necessarily] seem like bad actors, but this seems unconventional, both in the actual method of installation ("tacked on" to an SM install?) and the implicit assumption that I would care about these - why are they so "special"? ;)

I have not allowed these installs, pending some input from the SM devs or at least someone who has "the story" on these. :)
frg

Re: Request to install 2 extensions on 2.53.7b1pre?

Post by frg »

Probably comes from:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1659298

The extensions were bundled for ages. debugQA in beta / nightly builds only. Basically just adds a few menu itmes for testing and latest source changes. chatZilla is used for the irc protocol e.g. if you want to visit irc://freenode/SeaMonkey

Should be a one time question and makes it easier to upgrade them. Hopefully resulting in less support queries about lightning and cZ not installed or breaking because not updated properly.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

"Hopefully resulting in less support queries..." - like this one? ;)

Hey, it was unusual - I think the only time I have seen anything like this since I started using "Mozilla" back in the early 2000s (I don't recall whether Netscape Communicator had anything quite like this for installation of extensions).

Thanks, f-r - and yes, I have been following the Freenode SM thread (or whatever they call it), and assumed I would need some kind of IRC client to join in - now I have one again. :)
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

It's rather strange idea for me - why I should keep extensions which I do not find useful at all?

Btw, how I could uninstall them because there's no remove button?
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

rainyd wrote:It's rather strange idea for me - why I should keep extensions which I do not find useful at all?

Btw, how I could uninstall them because there's no remove button?
go into your Seamonkey Extensions Directory an manually delete them there, ( just make sure Seamonkey is closed before you do that )
Nightly Blog
Release Calendar
Posted With Chrome Or Firefox
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

Snake4 wrote: go into your Seamonkey Extensions Directory an manually delete them there, ( just make sure Seamonkey is closed before you do that )
Thank you for the tip, I didn't know it's possible to remove them just like that.