Uh oh - newest build has 50 extra threads + cpu time

Discussion about Seamonkey builds
RDaneel

Uh oh - newest build has 50 extra threads + cpu time

Post by RDaneel »

I just noticed that the 12/29 Windows 64-bit Build by Bill(tm) shows the SeaMonkey executable running literally 50 "extra" threads immediately after startup... specifically, I mean 145 threads instead of 95 - and most of these are already present as soon as the mail client is running, before I start the browser window.

Plus, there is extra CPU time being consumed - sure maybe only a fraction of a percent, but ever since the issue with the graphics having 1-frame "loops" got fixed, we were back to NO CPU time on a just-loaded SeaMonkey that wasn't doing anything. :(

I don't assume that there is any part of SM that decides to crank up "extra" threads based on the number of cores seen on the CPU - that would be weird for a browser, right?

Finally, a few details:
0) as usual, this is my Windows 11 [64-bit] box
1) this is with my new "12-th Gen" Intel CPU - 12 cores, 20 threads - but this shouldn't matter(?)
2) this could have happened with the 12/28 build, as I was a bit preoccupied with the new H/W build
frg

Re: Uh oh - newest build has 50 extra threads + cpu time

Post by frg »

> executable running literally 50 "extra" threads immediately after startup...

The latest 2 or 3 have about 200 new patches from Firefox 57 in. I am at 129 threads without mail and think it is a bit snappier but this might be wishful thinking. For resource consumption I see no problems and I checked the Bugs the patches are for for later regression fixes and put them in when needed.
If you think something is very very wrong you can try out older buildes from https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... y/2021/12/

The only thing I noticed recently is that ebay produces a ghost window when closed. But that is going on for some time now. Probably some crappy js holding a resource and not sure if interaction with NoScript or uBlock. Something for later.

FRG
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Thanks, f-r... if you think there is nothing wrong with resource consumption - and are not worried about the big jump in # of threads - cool. I will agree that there don't seem to be associated increases in memory usage or context switches.

The jump from "no" cpu time to fractions of a percent does trouble me a bit - all that new cpu usage seems to be going to two threads doing waits at this address:

nvwgf2umx.dll!OpenAdapter12+0x5b2f48

... which is possibly specific to my own system(?) - it may be an NVidia DLL, and other than some gamers reporting crashes associated with it, not much useful stuff is obvious.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Ha! :)

On the newest Build by Bill(tm) for 20220323, the CPU time being racked up all the time... isn't. ;)

Yes, it was only 0.02 %, but still... and gradually over the last 3 months, the # of threads has come part way back down to where it was before the build that "inspired" this message thread - I now see 125 or so rather than 145, after just loading with my usual large set of tabs.
therube

Post by therube »

I now see 125 or so rather than 145
How are you determining "threads"?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

I cheated... and used Process Hacker. ;)

For me, this has replaced the venerable Process Explorer and, of course, the built-in Task Manager.
therube

Post by therube »

Yes, I use it all the time.
(Matter of fact, it is my left-most taskbar icon.)
But where in there are you finding (the count of) Threads?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Ahhh... well, you have a great many choices on what is displayed in the main window [on a per-process basis].

Right-click anywhere in the "column header" bar for, say, the "Processes" display (the Services, Network, etc have their own column sets), and you will get a dialog that lets you "Choose Columns" - as well as re-order and re-size them from left to right.

I have settled on the following as a compromise between getting "interesting" info and how much screen space I want to use:

PID CPU "Context switches delta" Threads "Working set" "Virtual size" Bits

There are as I said a large number of things you can have displayed (and updated frequently) - that last column, Bits, is possibly going to be re-purposed someday, as 95% of what I run is now 64 bits. :)

Let me know if I misinterpreted your question and you were really asking about something else.
v_v

Post by v_v »

My, some other Process Hacker users! I actually keep a minimized window of Process Hacker open at all times! (I also have System Explorer down on the right side of the task bar---I run both at startup.)

Process Hacker has saved me more times than I can count and I would not want to be without it, even if it has not been updated in six years!

RDaneel did give the right answers for coming up with the count of threads. I do not use that particular feature. (I really don't even know what a "thread" means or what is relevant about it!)

However I do use a full array of other features in my column set: PID, CPU, CPU History, Total CPU Time, I/O Total Rate, I/O History, Working Set, Peak Working Set, Private Bytes, Peak Private Bytes, Description, Company Name, File Name.

Interestingly when I look at the thread count for SeaMonkey, Process Hacker shows 67 threads while System Explorer shows "0"! (Process Explorer also shows 67.)

v_v
frg

Post by frg »

Might be wishful thinking but the latest pre betas seem to be a bit snappier. NPAPI is now completely gone which was a bunch of unused code and I added a tweak there and a twak here :)
therube

Post by therube »

Right-click anywhere in the "column header" bar...
Oh, OK, thanks.

(I had thought you were picking it up from one of the existing tabs when you show seamonkey.exe's Properties where you can see handles [in the Handles tab], but there was no count there. Didn't think to add a Handles column.)